Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Final nail in the coffin. I will be moving to Roon, so I am not tied down to a single manufacturer.

I will be flogging my equipment on ebay if any of you are interested. This shower of sh!t are a disgrace.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

To the management panel,  you could have scoured the community and socials for the past 5 days and come up with an opening statement for this AMA that addressed the most common complaints over this joke of an app upgrade - you knew the complaints were coming.  Instead you over-promise an “Event”  and 600 of us show up here for this AMA, and it takes 40 mins to answer the first concern with, frankly, a canned response that means nothing and tells us even less.

I’m out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What was the thought process behind releasing the app update in an obviously unfinished state, instead of waiting for critical issues to be resolved?

Thank you @veryblocky @YorkSteve @umiami91. Since you all had similar questions, I’d like to answer them together.

An app is never finished! 

It’s probably a good idea to give you some background. This is a new app - we started from an empty project file. As the project progressed, we stopped investing our time in the old app code. Over time we “cross-faded” our engineering attention into the new app. We need to make the new app be the app going forward so we stop splitting our attention.

We decided that now is the moment to bring you the new app. This is the beginning, and we will be continually iterating going forward. As I said - an app is never finished.

Sorry Tucker but that’s not true and you know it.

An app needs to be at least *working* before it’s released. 
The app you guys released was not, in any sense of the word, ready for release.

It doesn’t work. It simply isn’t fit for purpose. 

Mod edit: Removed swearing

Userlevel 1

What was the thought process behind releasing the app update in an obviously unfinished state, instead of waiting for critical issues to be resolved?

Thank you @veryblocky @YorkSteve @umiami91. Since you all had similar questions, I’d like to answer them together.

It’s probably a good idea to give you some background. This is a new app - we started from an empty project file. As the project progressed, we stopped investing our time in the old app code. Over time we “cross-faded” our engineering attention into the new app. We need to make the new app be the app going forward so we stop splitting our attention.

We decided that now is the moment to bring you the new app. This is the beginning, and we will be continually iterating going forward. As I said - an app is never finished.

That is all understandable --- but why is there no Alpha - Beta Project and then, after all is fixed and work with and for the beta customers transfer into the productive version for worldwide access? I know that from my work that only this way can work for such an important software for the company Sonos. 

This is my meaning about the controversy you have created with the delivery of this part of software with no way back… 

Sorry 

Mod Edit: Removed profanity

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I can’t quite believe that we have all been left hanging and that no one is going to answer a single question or even acknowledge our existence. 

We really should make this fiasco public.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Will My Library be added back to Global search?

@Richard Schiffman Yes! We will be adding your local music library to search in the coming weeks.

Then why release it in the first place? My non tech wife asked me why the Sonos system is not working. Do I tell her “the dev team decided it was time for this? Sorry hon.” 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m going off to play my guitar - much better for my blood pressure.

Sorry guys but app and ama are a bit of a fail.

Bye

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Can you explain the benefits to users of going to a cross-platform based solution thats based on web-technologies when your most significant use is on iOS, iPadOS and Android? In my point of view it would be more valuable to users to have native apps for the key platforms that adhere to the design guidelines respective to each platform, and use their native APIs and feature sets to ensure a performant app that looks at home on the respective platform. You are now limited by the features your cross-platform code base supports and not features unique to the iOS ecosystem for example. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks Tucker, but that really doesn't answer the question. Didn't you realise that so many important functions were missing? Why didn't you release it as an optional upgrade? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Oh for goodness sake, this answer alone makes me want to never buy another product from Sonos ever again.

The best part of the answer was that it was the best answer that could be produced after 30 minutes!

Userlevel 2

This kind of corporate speak really isn’t going to mend the badly damaged customer relations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Also, @tuckerseverson, as a consumer/user of Sonos products, I’m not terribly interested in whether or not this is a new app, started from scratch or not. That has no impact on my use. Are we supposed to glean something from the fact that you started from scratch?

Are you expecting us to be grateful? Impressed? I’m not sure the relevance of the “behind-the-scenes” info to this AMA, nor the user experience.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I see in the description above.. it says: “14th of May from 11:00 until 14:00 GMT -07” I am sure that was supposed to be PT not GMT !!!  Did they start 5 hours ago without us all ? very courageous

GMT -07  is another way to say “7 hours west of GMT”, which is the same as PDT.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For the app to be missing features and functions, there must have been issues with the scope of the project and feedback from the Beta testers.

Did you know it was missing key features before you released it?

Did your Beta testers advise you of what was broken?

I do like the look and feel of the app, but it appears that it was not ready for release.

What was the rush? Why did you need to release this now?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

is anybody getting anything useful from this joke of an event? I’m not sure why I hoped it would be accessible or at all useful, when Sonos clearly does not care about users who are blind. Many of us have invested a great deal of money into our sound systems and with this update, we now own expensive paper weights

There are some updates. The ones I’ve read are without an apology and written from a perspective that we (consumer) don’t understand.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We decided that now is the moment to bring you the new app.

Narrator:  “It wasn’t”.

Userlevel 3

The app you've released is barely started. You're a joke. 

Userlevel 3

Do you think it’s fair to put you in front of this crowd?

I mean, they don’t appear to be actually putting anyone in front of this crowd at all...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

“Cross fade”.  Does this mean “dump all the things that everybody uses every day, and then release it”?  Please don’t use market jargon words on us.  Treat us with some respect.  AND LISTEN TO US.  It’s not all about you.

Userlevel 5
Badge

So we’re not gonna get anything of use here? No apology. No explanation. No accountability. What a joke. 

This is so insulting, nearly 45 minutes and just now seeing buried replies in posts our time is valuable and we have shown up, you could at least do the minimum and do the same.

There is certainly no courage here, just contempt for you customers, cowardice and a continued double down on the tone deaf path you seem to think is the way forward.

Shame on you Sonos

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Cheers for that absolute load of nonsense, functionality was REMOVED on purpose how do you explain that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Bunch of BS and wasted time for everyone here. Not sure what their goal of this AMA was. I suggest Everyone move to Roon. Much better experience and player options.

✌🏽

Badge

Will it be possible to add a custom url to a music streamer in the new sonos app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

you are editting posts

I thinks as long as people are not offensive, you should give them some room to express their frustration

Userlevel 2
Badge

Are you really proud of this release?