Interview

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Sonos App Redesign AMA

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

770 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Please upvote this post: Can you please provide an immediate easy way to rollback the mobile app to the prior version for those who can’t make the current version meet their needs.

Thanks @bkk. Also, @nelliott and others had similar questions.

Rolling back to the previous version of the Sonos app is likely to cause issues. As Sonos continues to advance forward with new updates to the firmware, the old apps will fall out of compatibility quickly. Our priority is to release improvements to the Sonos app rapidly to address your needs.

THIS NEW APP SURE FEELS LIKE WE HAVE FALLEN OUT OF COMPATIBILITY OVERNIGHT WITHOUT ANY IMMEDIATE SOLUTION. TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL WAS FAR YOUR WORST DECISION YET.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I just want to say there has been allot of negativity surrounding the new app launch. I just want to say the app is fantastic. I've been using it everyday since it came out last week. I know there is some future additions coming in the next weeks and will just be patient with the future roll out. Thank you Diane, Kate, Tucker, and the rest of the Sonos development team for everything you do. 

This is a joke - correct? We should be patient while we wait to get back to where we were? 

No Derrick it is not a joke. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sonos now claims that some of the most serious defects will be corrected in the 21 May release, but hopefully the panel can understand that there are a lot of blind people who can’t trust Sonos anymore. Given that Sonos got it so horribly wrong with this current release, why should we expect anything better in the next?

Will Sonos offer an apology to its blind users and accept that it got this wrong, and will Sonos commit to creating a Chief Accessibility Officer as a tangible commitment to ensuring this never happens again?

@jmosen

Thank you for your heartfelt feedback. 

We invested our user experience and engineering energy on supporting VoiceOver throughout this project. Unfortunately near the end, we took our eye off the ball and missed a couple of key bugs. Those bug fixes have been shipped in a release today.

That doesn’t mean we’re done. We have more that we want to do and will do to fine-tune the experience. This is the same kind of fine-tuning we are doing for the visual experience. In a visual UI that means adjusting the gutters between items on screen. In a spoken UI it means adding more hints about how to navigate. We look forward to tweaking those and making the experience get continually better.

I understand that we have to rebuild your trust. We will only be able to do that by improving the experience. Any words we say will be incomplete. I am sorry that we missed this.

Our next step involves building a hearty beta community of vision impaired users. Today we have 30 visually impaired users on the beta of the next version of the app. The next version already has several improvements beyond the bug fixes we shipped today.

Well, damm.  You all should let Diane answer all of the questions from now on. Not very hard to say “we got it wrong, and we’re sorry” while also telling us about future fixes.  Nice work, Diane.

Mod Edit: Removed profanity

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please describe what the thought processes was, going into the re-design. I understand the value of launching something new, but as a designer, I also understand that function always outweighs design.

@Bliss752 The refreshed UI design is rooted in the needs that we’ve been hearing from our listeners for years. We heard from users that the information architecture of the S2 app felt like work, particularly in navigating between multiple tabs to get core jobs done. The intent of the new app home feed is to put the most useful content and controls immediately within thumb’s reach, offering quick access to the content that means most to users, and enabling them to drive what is prioritized in their personal home experience.

This business-speak is likely making your participants frustrated. Why did you release this on the world? If it needs to stay this bad, please have a good answer. 

thank you 

I've never known a company release an app "upgrade" with so many existing KEY FEATURES missing, with the promise that they'll return over time. Bonkers!

Yup it defies logic. Careful about the next update, who knows what else it will remove 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Please describe what the thought processes was, going into the re-design. I understand the value of launching something new, but as a designer, I also understand that function always outweighs design.

@Bliss752 The refreshed UI design is rooted in the needs that we’ve been hearing from our listeners for years. We heard from users that the information architecture of the S2 app felt like work, particularly in navigating between multiple tabs to get core jobs done. The intent of the new app home feed is to put the most useful content and controls immediately within thumb’s reach, offering quick access to the content that means most to users, and enabling them to drive what is prioritized in their personal home experience.

Weird @KateW. I've never seen such requests on the community forums.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

You’ve made our speakers open to the internet via the new web app without our consent and without two-factor authentication for security.
You’ve demoted local library music so much that it’s practically impossible to find our music (no search, poor A-Z scrolling) plus there is no way to update the index of the library.

Is this legitimate? Can you provide more info on how this is happening? Highly concerning.

Userlevel 4
Badge

It’s shocking and a little exciting to see a company dig its own grave like this. If only some of the so-called working classes would destroy themselves so sportingly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Please upvote this post: Can you please provide an immediate easy way to rollback the mobile app to the prior version for those who can’t make the current version meet their needs.

Rolling back to the previous version of the Sonos app is likely to cause issues. As Sonos continues to advance forward with new updates to the firmware, the old apps will fall out of compatibility quickly. Our priority is to release improvements to the Sonos app rapidly to address your needs.

What issues are expected to occure in case of a app roll back?

because if this is true, than the lack of informing us about the missing key functionalities is a big mistake, You shoudl have offerd us a choise,

Sonos has lost my trust

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Sonos now claims that some of the most serious defects will be corrected in the 21 May release, but hopefully the panel can understand that there are a lot of blind people who can’t trust Sonos anymore. Given that Sonos got it so horribly wrong with this current release, why should we expect anything better in the next?

Will Sonos offer an apology to its blind users and accept that it got this wrong, and will Sonos commit to creating a Chief Accessibility Officer as a tangible commitment to ensuring this never happens again?

@jmosen

We invested our user experience and engineering energy on supporting VoiceOver throughout this project. Unfortunately near the end, we took our eye off the ball and missed a couple of key bugs. Those bug fixes have been shipped in a release today.

That doesn’t mean we’re done. We have more that we want to do and will do to fine-tune the experience. This is the same kind of fine-tuning we are doing for the visual experience. In a visual UI that means adjusting the gutters between items on screen. In a spoken UI it means adding more hints about how to navigate. We look forward to tweaking those and making the experience get continually better.

I understand that we have to rebuild your trust. We will only be able to do that by improving the experience. Any words we say will be incomplete. I am sorry that we missed this.

Our next step involves building a hearty beta community of vision impaired users. Today we have 30 visually impaired users on the beta of the next version of the app. The next version already has several improvements beyond the bug fixes we shipped today.

You have a healthy Beta community, you simply ignored them and went ahead with a really bad decision to release a problematic product. You should have started with beta testers this time last year. I signed up for beta testing and have never gotten and invite to test anything.

Userlevel 2

Hello?

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me

Is there anyone home?

I miss my pink Floyd, it’s on my NAS drive 🥲🥲

Ouch! Well said. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I was able to roll back on android without issue and I’m staying rolled back.

SJBill, could you please post for everyone how you rolled back to the earlier version.  I’m sure most customers would prefer to do that at this point.  I think I’ve heard that only works for Android, but let’s at least get the word out how to do that.  Hopefully someone can also figure out a way for Apple users too.

Userlevel 3

I just want to say there has been allot of negativity surrounding the new app launch. I just want to say the app is fantastic. I've been using it everyday since it came out last week. I know there is some future additions coming in the next weeks and will just be patient with the future roll out. Thank you Diane, Kate, Tucker, and the rest of the Sonos development team for everything you do. 

This is a joke - correct? We should be patient while we wait to get back to where we were? 

I suppose if you have one speaker and use Sonos Radio alone, it’s probably a great release.  

When you have 20 speakers, a NAS, and multiple streaming services, it is...not so much.

First off you obviously have no idea how to click on a persons profile to see how many Sonos products a user has or you would of not made such a ridiculous statement. Also if you had clicked on my profile you would known I DON'T use Sonos Radio. So next time do your homework. 

Second over 20 speakers? Bro you don't have 20 speakers so stop over exaggerating your circumstance. You ain't Peter Pee. 

Third, no this not a joke. I've have multiple Sonos products also multiple streaming services. Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Sirius XM, Home Theater setup, etc. All of them are working great since the 80.0 update. 

Fourth, people are complaining about the missing features like the alarms, personal playlists, etc on the Sonos app. Who uses Sonos speakers for an alarm when we all have cell phones where we can customize what we wake up to in 2024? Many streaming services have personal playlists that you can customize for yourself. Why the heck would anyone want to take up tons of memory on their phone with music when it's available on streaming music services?  Also who the heck buys music anymore?  This isn't 1994 anymore. These features that are missing are for people that don't know it's the 21st century. 

Alarms isn't just about waking up; its the ability to set radio programmes to start automaticity - particularly repetative ones.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@DianeRobertsApps

@KateW

@tuckerseverson

If you got in to your car tomorrow and a little dialog popped up on the screen:

“Hi, We’ve updated the OS of your vehicle with a funky new UI.  Unfortunatly this OS version doesn’t support driving your car, but these features will return in future updates!”

Would that be acceptable behaviour for the car company?  If not, why do you think it is for Sonos?

You’ve made our speakers open to the internet via the new web app without our consent and without two-factor authentication for security.
You’ve demoted local library music so much that it’s practically impossible to find our music (no search, poor A-Z scrolling) plus there is no way to update the index of the library.

Is this legitimate? Can you provide more info on how this is happening? Highly concerning.

Go to play.sonos.com, log in. See your speakers. Do it from outside your network, still see your speakers. 
There is no tfa or mfa options, only password. This is not good security practice. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

So @tuckerseverson you are saying we have to live with reduced functionality until you catch up? Surely you can see that this is not working for us.

So having ‘rolled back’ myself (via Android apk) I need to make double sure that none of my hardware is inadvertently upgraded until the new app has the functionality that I used to have, and I have seen that there are contented users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

These are needs that you created and could resolve by rereleasing the old app.  And you know that you can do that just fine since it works just fine on my iPad that I thankfully did not update to the new app.  Stop updating the firmware and digging yourself into deeper holes.  Rollback to the old app, bring the new app into parity with the old app, test the new app, then start new rolling things out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

1. When will local library update, search and album art be available (again)?

2. When will playlist features (adding, editing, play next, play last, etc) be available (again)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I suppose if you have one speaker and use Sonos Radio alone, it’s probably a great release.  

When you have 20 speakers, a NAS, and multiple streaming services, it is...not so much.

First off you obviously have no idea how to click on a persons profile to see how many Sonos products a user has or you would of not made such a ridiculous statement. Also if you had clicked on my profile you would known I DON'T use Sonos Radio. So next time do your homework. 

Second over 20 speakers? Bro you don't have 20 speakers so stop over exaggerating your circumstance. You ain't Peter Pee. 

Third, no this not a joke. I've have multiple Sonos products also multiple streaming services. Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Sirius XM, Home Theater setup, etc. All of them are working great since the 80.0 update. 

Fourth, people are complaining about the missing features like the alarms, personal playlists, etc on the Sonos app. Who uses Sonos speakers for an alarm when we all have cell phones where we can customize what we wake up to in 2024? Many streaming services have personal playlists that you can customize for yourself. Why the heck would anyone want to take up tons of memory on their phone with music when it's available on streaming music services?  Also who the heck buys music anymore?  This isn't 1994 anymore. These features that are missing are for people that don't know it's the 21st century. 

Your Apple playlists work? Mine haven’t worked correctly for over a year. I have to attach an old speaker/amp to the group in order to play my Apple playlists without tracks skipping. That is the suggested work around directly from Sonos. 

Hello?

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me

Is there anyone home?

I miss my pink Floyd, it’s on my NAS drive 🥲🥲

Ouch! Well said. 

Folks they have a Sonos Radio station just for this occasion that they would be happy to sell you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@jmosen

“Eye off the ball” means that the app was not ready but was still released on a set date regardless. 

Userlevel 4

We decided that now is the moment to bring you the new app.

Narrator:  “It wasn’t”.

I.e. project manager's bonus was dependent on release date

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What has happened to Trueplay settings on the Android app?

Why does my Sub not display any of its settings?

Why can I only add one song at a time?

Why did I sign up for this event?

Was there even a beta programme for this new app?

Userlevel 2

Will My Library be added back to Global search?

This is also my most pressing issue! Much of my local files are mine, not streaming. They don’t exist anywhere else and now I don’t have the front-end to access them. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Are you deleting comments? 

Mod Edit: We are not removing comments unless they are personal attacks or trolls. We want to allow everyone to ask their questions, provide feedback, and let other users like the comments to show the panelists that it is essential for the community to answer the questions.
​​​​​​​Mike H