Skip to main content
Question

the new Sonos ios app update is TERRIBLE! DO NOT UPDATE!

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

165 replies

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

This update is the worst I've encountered all  categories the latest 20 years. 

Sonos, what are you doing? Any news on another experience?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Totally agree. You can’t even add tunes to a queue!

As it happens you might find your playlists buried deep within the ‘Sonos Favourites’ section, but that is slim comfort for all of the other features that have now totally disappeared!! 🤬

This update is horrible. Someone should be fired. I can’t even use the Sonos app and have to exclusively use my Spotify app. Please just rollback the version. 

Userlevel 1

Does anyone know whether we can simply just add the sonos S1 app until the S2 app with the updates are fixed and if we do so whether the sonos S1 update will contain any of these horrible issues?  Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does anyone know whether we can simply just add the sonos S1 app until the S2 app with the updates are fixed and if we do so whether the sonos S1 update will contain any of these horrible issues?  Thanks.

If only!!!!

Badge

I’ve had Sonos and various Sonos products for over 15 years.

I even go back to before there was a Sonos app, back to when they sold a separate Sonos controller.

I’ve had my times when I’ve battled for days and weeks to fix problems but overall it’s been a good system.

This app update is far and away the worst change to my Sonos system ever.

Look, feel and functionality are appalling.

Why on earth would you replace a decent app with this garbage?
It marks the beginning of the end of my association with Sonos and I will now start investigating other entertainment systems,

I’m pretty disgusted with this new release.   It’s so obvious their testing was not done before this rollout.   Not only are my complaints the same as all others, I’ve lost my Connect Amp.  I’ve tried doing factory resets and it just won’t register with my system.  The connect amp is very expensive. Roll this update back to where we were until your developers get their * together.   

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3
Badge

I even go back to before there was a Sonos app, back to when they sold a separate Sonos controller.

I’ve had my times when I’ve battled for days and weeks to fix problems but overall it’s been a good system.

It marks the beginning of the end of my association with Sonos and I will now start investigating other entertainment systems,

So eloquently said. If Sonos don’t limit the damage soon they’ll have committed commercial suicide. 

Userlevel 1

I purchased Sonos amps and connect amps and CR100 proprietary controllers for several rooms in our home in February 2006 and then upgraded to the 200 controllers when they first became available.  I dreaded having those dedicated controllers be replaced by an app but ultimately saw the wisdom.  And, then a year ago I purchased new amps and new ports so that I could upgrade to the S2 app.  There have been other incredulous stumbles in rollouts by Sonos but this one is by far the worst.  I had replaced the proprietary controllers with android tablets dedicated to control my system.  And, as someone said, the android app upgrade seems to be even worse than the IOS app upgrade.  I too am now looking at alternatives to replace the Sonos system.  Now wishing I had not upgraded any of my equipment.

Userlevel 1

Actually in 2006,, the amps were actually called zone players if my memory serves me.  

Userlevel 1

Personally I am done with Sonos. This is pathetically bad. “Nonfunctional,” as someone said. With a million ways to stream to Bluetooth speakers there is no reason to tolerate such a garbage product.

WORST APP UPDATE OF ALL TIME. I am

considering getting rid of Sonos because of this.

Where is the PLAY NEXT feature????

Userlevel 1

This app has been rendered completely useless.  I can’t believe this app made it out of testing.  Absolutely nothing works as it should.  Can’t even add a song to a queue 

Userlevel 2

They claim it took "courage" to release the update. If making a completely idiotic decision equals courage then I guess.

Playing mp3 files in folders on my PC does nor work anymore. Each track must be individually selected and started. After that, SONOS just stops. Terrible!

In addition, most tracks now list ‘unkown’ as the title. Really?

The person who OK’d this app upgrade for mass distribution should be fired immediately!

Userlevel 3
Badge

They claim it took "courage" to release the update. If making a completely idiotic decision equals courage then I guess.

Indeed so.
The “courage” I’m hoping for now (as the bare minimum!) is for them to admit they’ve screwed up (and roll us all back to the previous version of the app - for the time being). 
Their silence - while we suffer - is contemptuous. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos...Why have you left the PC Controller software un-touched, but force-upgraded Android * Fire Tablets with completely dis-functional software which is totally unrecognisable & pure awful? :-(

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Total mess!

TERRIBLE APP. I woke up this morning and the app can’t see my devices. I’ve tried everything. The speakers are totally useless to me at this point. What a disappointment. 

The app also doesn’t swap between systems. I have a system at home and one at work. Seems I can only choose one system to use now. 

This is embarrassing for you Sonos 

The app also doesn’t swap between systems. I have a system at home and one at work. Seems I can only choose one system to use now. 

You just need to use the same HouseholdID and add the various WiFi networks to the App to get around the multi-location issue, but it’s a bit late if you’ve approached the Home/Work setup with different Households. It’s perhaps now easier to maybe use two controller devices instead, I only have the one phone so it made sense to expand the HH across all locations and so I don’t encounter the issue with the new App, fortunately.

I will now be selling up. Cannot believe how poor “The Sonos app is redesigned and better than ever” this release is, and just don’t want to bother to wait for this joke of a company to fix it.

You just need to use the same HouseholdID and add the various WiFi networks to the App to get around the multi-location issue, but it’s a bit late if you’ve approached the Home/Work setup with different Households. It’s perhaps now easier to maybe use two controller devices instead, I only have the one phone so it made sense to expand the HH across all locations and so I don’t encounter the issue with the new App, fortunately.

Are you able to add or edit wifi settings in the new app? I can’t find it, heard it’s not supported now but maybe just edit? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yup, vaporized ALL of my Sonos playlists, which I’ve only been creating for years. Seriously, how incompetent do you have to be to release an update that proactively destroys a core feature of your platform? In a world in which apps auto-update without people knowing.

And here’s the best part—do you think they give a crap that they’ve destroyed the curated listening environments of thousands of customers?

They’ll say “I’m Sorry” of course. But will they compensate us where it counts by giving us all substantial credits in their store (since we’re all stuck in the ecosystem, especially me - 14 years in)?

Jerks.