Answered

Sonos BBC Sounds service says - 'Radio nnnnn' is no longer available on BBC Sounds

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

When trying to play any station using BBC Sounds service in Sonos I get the above message since around 10:00 today, has been working fine. I can play station OK using BBC Sounds App on phone, anyone seeing similar?

PS - can the mods change subject typo should be BBC Sounds not BBS 😀

icon

Best answer by techiebod 24 July 2023, 13:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Yes, many people in this thread this morning - 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah same here, this is probably a better thread than that old one tbh... 

Badge

Cheers jonnystarfish, maybe it’s just a temporary problem, I can still play it through the app on airplay so I’ll persevere for now 

Same for me since 10.00am. 

Same here

Badge

Same here.

If I say to one of my Sonos speakers “Alexa, play Radio 2”, it will play it from BBC Sounds, but doesn’t show the station logo or any song info or anything on the Sonos desktop or mobile app - just a generic musical note icon, so it’s almost like it’s a different version of BBC Sounds playing.

Trying to select Radio 2 or any other BBC radio station though the Sonos app on desktop or phone says that it is “no longer available”.

Userlevel 1

Sonos have acknowledged the fault here: https://status.sonos.com/

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Working again now for me.

PS -  can the mods change subject typo? should be BBC Sounds not BBS

Badge

This is now ok for me, cheers team, a job welldone 

This would be the BBC team that fixed this, not a Sonos team. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

This would be the BBC team that fixed this, not a Sonos team. 

Sonos BBC Sounds issue today is not listed here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/known-issues

How do we know it was a BBC issue?

Because the BBC stream doesn’t exist on Sonos servers, and the only people who control what is shown on Sonos is the BBC? All Sonos does is point the controller to a server controlled by the streaming company. They’re just like your cable company, they don’t ‘own’ the content, they just point you at where it exists. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I understand what you are saying. I guess I’m curious why would Sonos list the BBC Sounds outage on Sonos status page, saying Sonos are working with BBC, but BBC don’t list the outage if it was a BBC outage? Sonos were aware, so Sonos team must have been involved in some way to fix the issue?

Might have been the Sonos API that was broken.   Only Sonos will know what bit was broken.

Sonos would list the outage as it affects Sonos users. The BBC maintains a different server (one with the Sonos API on it) for feeding those users who connect via Sonos. They may consider that number of people a secondary issue, or just decided not to post their own outage update, I am less familiar with their outage posting policy.

As to the API, I’ve not heard that Sonos rolled out a new version to anyone, but to do so, it would be rolled out to all streams simultaneously, it would be up to each streamer to then implement on their own servers. Hard (but not impossible) to believe that Sonos made a change that affected a single streamer, and only some of their streaming content at that. I prefer to go down the route of Occam’s razor here. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I prefer to go down the route of Occam’s razor here. 

I will assume that is the correct assumption 😀 

The only problem there is when contrary evidence shows up, you often need to switch opinions ;)

Airgetlam aka Bruce! I created an account here because I read a couple of your posts and consider you extremely knowledgeable. (Check out my user name)

I have a Sonos Playbar and Gen 2 Play:5

I tried to contact Sonos and they extended me a 30% discount on a $500 unit that is just a few years old. If you can email and help me set this up I’ll pay you Venmo/Cash App etc. I can’t afford another $500 unit, and am convinced this one isn’t broken. This one powers up, is responsive, volume buttons everything, but I can’t get an orange light when I hold the infinity button and plug back in the power cord. I might have an IP address issue or connectivity issue. I need your help brother. Just a normal guy from Texas willing to put his personal email out there for a chance at success.

Please reach out to me for details. Sorry for interrupting this thread everyone. I just saw it was Bruce’s most recent post.

Please help sir

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I, or any number of other knowledgeable users would likely be happy to help…open a new thread, with all your details, and someone will be along to assist.

And dear god, change your user name ;)

It is too bad I don’t live in Texas anymore…

As a precursor to your new thread, if the factory reset process isn’t working (something you shouldn’t be doing in the first place), it isn’t likely any of us will be able to help. That failure, assuming you’re doing it properly, would indicate a hardware issue that couldn’t be gotten around. 

Beyond that link I’ve provided, it may be worth reading the LED states FAQ.

I look forward to seeing your new thread. 

I’m having this “no longer available” error, but on the podcasts only, not the radio stations. I’m based in UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I see ERROR_RESOURCE_NO_LONGER_AVAILABLE from BBC Sounds podcasts (from the USA). The Beeb need to fix this, and Sonos need to update their status page.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Log it with BBC here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/contact-sounds-help/

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Same problem, logged on BBC website

I’m having this “no longer available” error, but on the podcasts only, not the radio stations. I’m based in UK.

Same problem for me - also based in UK.
Was working fine earlier this morning, but now nothing in listen again appears to be available.