Skip to main content
Answered

Some services play to only one speaker in stereo setup

• 17 October 2023
  • 2 replies

I have just added a second Era:100 to my setup, and have configured the new speaker as a stereo pair in the kitchen with an existing Era:100 in the same room.

When I play music from another room (vinyl or cd via a Sonos Port attached to a vintage amplifier) the stereo pair work fine, but when I play BBC Sounds in the kitchen, only one speaker (the original, not the newcomer) plays the stream.

I have tried going into the EQ settings in the Sonos app and shifting the balance to the right; this confirms there is no stream to that speaker. 

The same thing happens when I try Sonos Radio.

Both BBC Sounds and Sonos Radio were installed as services before I added the second Era to the setup.

Libby was also part of the original set up, and this plays to both speakers. 

I have rebooted each Era, and have also reauthorised, and removed and then re-added the faulty services, but all to no avail (I also removed and re-created the stereo pair several times during the process of trying to get BBC Sounds to play through both speakers).

I then added a new service, Amazon Music, which I had not previously used -- and that plays fine through both Eras.

I'd be grateful for any advice on what steps I might take to get BBC Sounds to play through both speakers.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem with just one speaker playing, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge

Well, here's a funny thing -- it's fixed!

I didn't have time to submit a report and do the follow-up phone call this morning, but earlier this evening we switched from streaming stereo content (music) to speech (R4 via BBC Sounds) using the app on my wife's phone, and both channels played!

I used my phone to slide the balance back and forth, switch to a different source, and then back to R4 via BBC Sounds and it all worked -- and I checked other BBC Sounds content too -- R3 and R6 -- and everything is now working as it should!

TLDR: Try switching between sources using the Sonos app on a different device.