New Sonos App Update Sucks Massively

Userlevel 5
Badge

Sonos really screwed the pooch on the update.  Nothing connects now, simplicity is gone.  What in wide world of sports were you thinking?????  Was there any real world testing done?  Massive screw-up.  Thinking of pitching what I have and starting over with another brand.  Awful product

135 replies

Userlevel 3

Same here. My devices won’t connect to wifi, connect to each other. 85 minute wait time to speak with customer service. No live chat ability. HORRENDOUS!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It's been more than 1 week without music!

PLEASE ROLL BACK TO 16.1!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Can you please let us have the old Sonos 2 app back while you all try to make sense of this monstrosity of ineptitude that you have created with this update? No more excuses and no more delays!  Give us back the old app now. I have been a Sonos customer for 12 years and I have never encountered such an utter failure in any update of software. How is it possible to not put in a search feature for the home library?? With 30,000 songs in my library, scrolling to find anything is absurd! Your update totally *. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3

Can’t conect to my Move.  All my others connect. This sucks. 

Userlevel 4

It sucks. Nuff said. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Nothing like fixing something that WAS NOT BROKEN. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

LET’S SAVE MONEY 

This has all the earmarks of a department moved offshore!

Userlevel 3

PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!

We’ve spent thousands of EUR and the system is pretty much useless after the update. Feels like you are a start-up all over again.

Super disappointed.

Userlevel 2

The sonos app has always been the weakest link, but the latest update is the worst.

It doesn’t recogniose my sub and the two Play 1.

I’ll never buy a product from this company ever again!

Userlevel 2

The new update is a hit in the face of the customer.   

Userlevel 3

I have easily $20k+ in Sonos.  I had an additional $4k in my cart to buy today.  I don’t know if I can keep trusting the tech.  I loved it because it was incredibly flexible and because when everything else failed, Sonos worked.  Since the update from hell it’s now slow, I can’t get line in to work and share across amps the way it used to, and it is so confusing that I can’t use it.  Why can’t I select a new source from a device group?  Why is it sooo slow?  Why do 4/8 of my amps not connect with each other?  Why is line in audio from one amp trying to play across others choppy droopy and sounds like crap?  What happened to testing before releasing?  Fire your QA team.  Fire your Eng leader.  Fire your UX leader.  Test your releases.  Try focus groups with real users that actually put your tech through its paces in complex scenarios. 

Userlevel 2

I agree the UX is absolutely terrible.  @sonos - Please roll the App back to where is was before this latest update.

Userlevel 2

The app is horrible. Some speakers did not roll over. Song queues are a mess. Music plays on its own. The last app was great easy to use. Easy to add new speakers. Now it’s just a mess. Had to turn it off last night because it wouldn’t work. I wonder if Sonos reads these. 

The app is horrible. Some speakers did not roll over. Song queues are a mess. Music plays on its own. The last app was great easy to use. Easy to add new speakers. Now it’s just a mess. Had to turn it off last night because it wouldn’t work. I wonder if Sonos reads these. 

They know the app sucks. They just don’t care cause they have headphones to sell. 

Userlevel 2

I have been a Sonos fanboy for 10 years. The previous apps were so intuitive and full of features. This latest update is very tough to use for old and new users,  also features are missing,  like being able to change the speakers wireless channels for people with wifi issues. 

Its also really hard to group rooms, and really hard to go backwards if you group the rooms to the wrong session of whatever youre playing. 

Before the system would help you group based on what was already playing.

There needs to be either be a rollback or a new update that includes the more intuitive previous experience. 

Userlevel 2

Agree with everything being said this update has made the app even worse than it was, I can't do anything with it even down to controlling the volume. Get this sorted Sonos I've spent big buying this system and you've just ruined it

Userlevel 1

QA this much?  Apparently not. Complete debacle.  Is there a timeline to fix this?

There seems to be, according to this post, and this FAQ article.

My understanding is that both that post, and the FAQ article, will be updated as needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I strongly suggest Sonos start using a beta channel for its software updates. There’s nothing wrong with trying out radical changes and ideas, seeing what floats and what doesn’t. Just don’t use your regular customers for this purpose. 

The vast majority of us simply want a stable, easy-to-use system. Let the bleeding edge crowd do your beta testing, and offer general release updates only when they’re ready. 

This isn’t rocket science. 

I strongly suggest Sonos start using a beta channel for its software updates. There’s nothing wrong with trying out radical changes and ideas, seeing what floats and what doesn’t. Just don’t use your regular customers for this purpose. 

The vast majority of us simply want a stable, easy-to-use system. Let the bleeding edge crowd do your beta testing, and offer general release updates only when they’re ready. 

What makes you think they don’t use beta?  More than a few posters stated they participated in a beta and made their concerns known about the app.  This isn’t a development or QA thing, the obvious flaws didn’t fall through the cracks of a beta program, nobody would miss such glaring omissions.  This app was released with the flaws well known, probably to facilitate the release of the new hardware in time for the end of the fiscal year.  That’s not a development decision; that’s on the beancounters, the executives and/or marketing.

In the AMA they said they will be adding users to the beta group. So I wonder what was going on with it. People involved in the beta disclosed some of the major issues with the app before it was released. They said they were ignored. So it seems they ignored the feedback and proceeded knowing they would screw over current owners by trashing the app.

Basically we all became non consenting beta users when they released the app. Hopefully each new release adds features and fixes some of the many many bugs.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The new app sucks so bad that I can't even control volume on one zone.  3+ second lag.  For volume.  Come on, your 'upgrade' has made it impossible to simply control my volume accurately.

FIX THIS DISASTER.

Userlevel 1

There is not even a forward and back option for playlists! There is just pause and play no skip forward or back….WTF!!!??? I HATE THIS!!!!!

Userlevel 1

One hour to talk to tech support, assume everyone is wanting to tell a person the same thing. Glad I only wasted an hour trying to figure out if it was just me or something updated.

Change it back soon please!  I have told everyone in my life how simple and great Sonos is, don’t make me a liar!  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

After more than 90 minutes on the phone to tech support, farmed out to the Philippines, I was finally able to get the Sonos app to connect to my personal music library on my personal server. (The app has done this flawlessly for over a decade prior to this “update”). Guess what? It still sucks! No playlists. No adding items to an existing cue. No timer. Everything is extremely sloooooow ( using M2 chip and latest OS). It takes forever for song info to update. The GUI says I’m still playing a song that ended 5 minutes ago. The GUI says my Sonos amp is playing audio from the TV while it is actually streaming music from an album. 
I’ve never experienced this level of incompetence in software engineering before. My take away is that what Sonos says is not to be trusted in any way.