Question

new sonos app released 7th May 2024 issues

Userlevel 6
Badge

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

165 replies

The new Sonos App currently only caters for a single Sonos ‘Household’ or ‘System’ at the moment - I’ve worked around this with the S2 setup in the past, by keeping the ‘distributed’ devices across locations held in the same Sonos Household and instead adding the various locations different WiFi networks to the Household instead.

That has allowed me to use the new App and Sonos at different locations.

If you perhaps still have the Sonos S2 (gold) .apk installer for an Android controller device you maybe able to resolve this by going to ‘settings/system/networks’ and adding the Works WiFi credentials to the Home Sonos setup and then take one, or more, of the works speakers and add it to the Home system. Then simply take it back to work, where both speaker and new Sonos App should then work for you.

Alternatively, you may have to wait until the new Sonos App caters for adding additional networks, or additional Sonos Households to an existing system/controller App, which perhaps may take a while, some months, I suspect, that’s assuming Sonos has those features on their roadmap for this new App.

Userlevel 6
Badge

That all makes sense, I do have the old app on my sons iPhone, might give it a try.

just loves all points to what’s missing on this update, too many bugs and features missing. I see Sonos is having a conference on may 14 to discuss the dissatisfaction and adjustments to their now average app. Spoke with customer support yesterday and they mentioned it will take some time to iron all this out. Just don’t know why they would release a half baked app.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Proves not ‘loves’! Doh!!

Userlevel 4

I have been advised I can’t access the old app.

I am exploring BlueSound, this is ridiculous

Userlevel 4
Badge

We are not ready to throw away out speakers yet but if these concerns listed already by others are not addressed or acknowledged soon we will walk away from sonos. We cannot move from house to house with the new app, we cannot select from our favorites effortlessly, I want access to the old app. So many issues that I do not have time to list. If they do not acknowledge a significant mistake in this update and change things back shortly we are looking to move to bluesound as well. So irresponsible!!!!!  

Userlevel 3
Badge

So no more sleep timer on this app. Hot garbage.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If you perhaps still have the Sonos S2 (gold) .apk installer for an Android controller device you maybe able to resolve this by going to ‘settings/system/networks’ and adding the Works WiFi credentials to the Home Sonos setup and then take one, or more, of the works speakers and add it to the Home system. Then simply take it back to work, where both speaker and new Sonos App should then work for you.

Alternatively, you may have to wait until the new Sonos App caters for adding additional networks, or additional Sonos Households to an existing system/controller App, which perhaps may take a while, some months, I suspect, that’s assuming Sonos has those features on their roadmap for this new App.

Good luck with that - I downgraded back to the old version yesterday via APKpure, but overnight the new version installed itself again!  I’ve turned off my entire Sonos system now, it’s been rendered useless by the new app.  That’s 10 speakers, wasted.  Well done Sonos.  Thank god I have a Roam which I can still use as a Bluetooth speaker from my phone!! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have been advised I can’t access the old app.

I am exploring BlueSound, this is ridiculous

You can download the Android apk of the old version from APKPure, but Google Play services might update back to the new version when you’re not looking!!! 😡

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’ve been a Beta tester in the past for Sonos, app and hardware, but this new version of the app is so pre-Alpha it’s shocking.  I don’t need to repeat comments from others regardless the countless bugs and missing features, but losing alarms and timers is poor, and as music on my NAS is my primary source, accessing and managing that is not easy now.  Bookmarked playlists from NAS sources on the home screen don’t seem to work, or is that just me?

Oh, and why do the volume sliders in the group screen keep sliding back like they have an elastic band attached refusing to let you increase the volume?!!! This is on both Android and iOS versions!!.

For now, my 10 Sonos speakers have been turned off! (except for my Beam, in case I need the soundbar for TV), as they are effectively useless.

One plus, I have 2 Roams, so I can still play music via Bluetooth from my phone, yay!!! 🤣

Userlevel 2

It’s so disappointing when an ‘update’ removes features! You expect more and get less. Not happy. My main gripe is the missing System when I got to work. As with others, I have Sonos at home and at work. I get to work and my office Sonos is nowhere to be seen. What will happen when I get home? Same problem?

Userlevel 3

Echo all gripes and issues with new Sonos App.  It has effectively rendered my 12 speaker system useless.  Highly recommend reverting back to previous Sonos App version until all defects are corrected.  You guys trashed a perfectly good operating system.  Please fix soonest!!

Not sure that’ll help. Rayo Player will not work on either the new or old app, although it does work on the Mac Sonos Controller.

Userlevel 2

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

Actually, their software has always been very buggy. I've had less problems than other people here I guess, but I don't have the Sonos system at work also so I dodged that bullet. Good luck to everyone. I hope they fix these problems very very very soon.

Userlevel 2

I've also noticed that my "Sonos playlists “ which I think are now called Sonos's favorites, don't work. So just my Spotify play lists work. Add that to the list yay

Userlevel 2
Badge

If Sonos' goal is to lose customers, they are doing well with the latest "downgrade"!

Userlevel 2

When I open the app, I see a sea of grey icons (where it would usually show recently played or favorites) and a bar with the message that it’s unable to load.  This means I cannot search for music and can only play from the last queue I had been listening to.  There are only grey empty circles or boxes where there used to be icons.  How am I supposed to get around this?  I can only listen to Joji for so many hours.

When I open the app, I see a sea of grey icons (where it would usually show recently played or favorites) and a bar with the message that it’s unable to load.  This means I cannot search for music and can only play from the last queue I had been listening to.  There are only grey empty circles or boxes where there used to be icons.  How am I supposed to get around this?  I can only listen to Joji for so many hours.

It sounds like the permission for the App to access the LAN has been revoked. Maybe check that network access is provided to the App. I don’t think it’s the App, because it’s working ok here.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Ken.  I checked my Sonos app settings and there’s nothing disabled for the app (screenshots attached).  Is there another setting within the app itself I should be looking for?

Userlevel 3

This is exactly the problem I have. But, weirdly, the “Recently played” (I have the app in Swedish where it is called “Senast spelade”) comes on for a second or two, then greys out again. The favourites section will be there for a minute, maybe, and then it goes away again. So this can’t be a network setting on my end, I reckon, because then it would be a permanently greyed out area, or am I mistaken here?

And while this is annoying I do have Apple Music working. It’s just a touch annoying that the volume controls don’t work, everything freezes for minutes when I add or remove speakers from what’s currently playing, tracks don’t show the time stamp till 20-30 seconds into a track and so on and so on.

So I am running everything off my laptop Sonos app for now… woohoo. My god this is beyond poor.

I don’t know the answer to this but did see another Android user with a pixel 8 phone report this (sometime/somewhere) in the last few days and thought it was a permission issue (despite the permissions being set). My own initials thoughts are to try to remove/re-add the permissions and/or if that fails to do an App reset from the account settings (if not tried already) and re-accept the permissions and connect the App back to the local Sonos system. 

Not sure if that will do it, but perhaps worth a try. 

Userlevel 3

I had a party last night and showed everyone the power of Sonos by walking around with a laptop so that I could control the music.  When asked “why the laptop”, I replied “because Sonos does not have a mobile app”.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I am also dumbfounded with what Sonos have done here. How would this work even get assigned from a product owner to engineers. What was that conversation even like…… As everyone has commented this is worse than an alpha and has my system essentially bricked.

Sonos support when I called in basically said use your laptop desktop app which they have been deprecating slowly over time and this is now the best option. 

Shame on Sonos

My ongoing list of issues, am sure there are lots more, but I have basically stopped using my system now.

1. Search no longer searches my music library, where most of my listening comes from only music services

2. The alarm and sleep features have disappeared which I use many times daily. 

3. My tunein disappeared and had to be replaced and I lost ALL of my radio stations and programs that I had saved

4. The UI has one of the worst UX's I have ever experienced and makes zero sense

5. When scrolling through my music library the fast scroll has disappeared so I have so slow scroll through my library of 60,000+ songs

6. I can no longer manage my music library at all or see any options to add in a new library

7. When I adjust volume with grouped rooms it no longer allows me to adjust the volume individually but all the rooms at once which now means I have to have all loud or all quite and not at different volumes

Userlevel 1

New Sonos app list my system. Tried to re add multiple times and get error 1000. Please roll back to the previous app. Can’t use my system at all after spending thousands on it. What a car crash. 

New Sonos app list my system. Tried to re add multiple times and get error 1000. Please roll back to the previous app. Can’t use my system at all after spending thousands on it. What a car crash. 

That sounds like a network permission error. Perhaps try a reboot of the local router and then setup the App permissions again. It’s likely easier to just reset the App (after the network reboot).

Hope you can sort it, if not then it maybe best to contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.