Skip to main content
Answered

My list of issues with new Sonos App on IOS

​​​​​​I have updated the Sonos IOS app on just ONE of my IOS devices (thankfully).
My overall impression of the new Sonos IOS app is that it is missing quite a bit of functionality that was available in the old app. I therefore suspect there will be quite a backlash from existing users until Sonos address some of these issues.

For what it is worth, here is my initial list of issues/questions…

1 - There are issues with the Rova service on the new app. When you click on Rova via the “Your Services” rail nothing shows.
My other IOS devices that are still using the old Sonos app correctly show the list of Rova Station selections as expected.

2 - Related to the above point, when searching for a radio station. e.g. “The Sound” the Rova stations do not show in the results and the Rova service icon in the search rail shows with a “!” icon next to the service name. Doing the same search using the old app correctly returns the Rova stations in the search results.

3 - The “Sonos Favorites” rail list only shows 18 items and nothing happens when you click the “>” icon at the top right of the “Sonos Faborites” rail. This should expand the list to show all of my favorites. The old app and the new Web app BOTH allow you to see all of your favorites (I have 30 favorites in my list).

4 - The Music Library no longer allows you to position into your list of Artists or Albums by selecting a letter to position into. This is a pain if you have a large list of albums.
e.g. To play Album “Zombie” by Fela Kuti you have to scroll through your entire list of albums in alphabetical order to be able to select it.
What makes this worse is the fact you can no longer search your Music Library being that the “Classic”  search option which supported Music Libraries is no longer supported.
Again what makes this worse is that the Album list within the Music library previously displayed in grid form, now it displays in list form with 1 album per row so it takes forever to scroll through the list.

5 - When you play an album from your Music Library the tracks on the album are not added/visible in the queue. You there cannot edit the queue to reorder tracks etc. You also don’t seem to have the ability to be able to add songs to the end of the queue or select to play next etc.

6 - The “Manage” list within “System Settings” on the old app doesn’t include the ability to setup/maintain your Music Library settings. So currently the only way to maintain these settings is by using the old Desktop Controller, which I understand is soon to be retired.
So my question here is, moving forward how are we going to do tasks like adding a new Shared Music Folder?

Ross.

​​​​​​​

Using SonoPhone I can now access all my Spotify music library, whereas in the new Sonos app only about 20 playlists from my Spotify Library were showing. With SonoPhone app I can now see them all. I’m still working through the SonoPhone app and yet to discover if (and how) you play “next” and “add songs” to a Q, building a playlist on the fly, as you could in the old Sonos app - which was a great feature, now no longer available. If I find away to do this in SonoPhone will update you on my progress. 

I purchased the sonophone app the same day I foolishly updated the sonos app. It is the only thing that has enabled me to use my system as before. You can edit the playlist, move the songs around and add songs. Just press the song and you will get options- to move it (in Q) or if trying to add to a Q you get a long list of options to choose from. 

I tried to play a TuneIn radio station today using the sonos app and it was just a grey box with a grey spinning circle going round and round. I opened the sonophone app, clicked the station and it played. Sonos sucks and deserves to feel some pain for this debacle. 

Trying to add 2 new surrounds (One Gen2) to a Beam having been forced on to the new app. Getting stuck in a doom loop with one unit repeatedly playing a chime then reporting a problem / try again. Is this another bug? 55 minute wait for support line, no agents available via chat. 🤬 

Wish I read this before the upgrade. The Desktop app (MacOS) remains fully functional. On the phone, it’s just broken. A few stations play, features are gone, TuneIn for example disappeared. Most Sonos stations don’t play but a few do. They messed this one up bad

Does SonoPhone allow you to adjust the volume of the rear speakers like the 16.1 app did?

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t. With SonoPhone, I can see Arc but not the ability to control rear speakers associated with Arc. Unlike the old Sonos app you can’t “fine tune” Arc or rear surround sound speakers in the SonoPhone app, as far as I can tell. That said, all the “fine tuning control” of Arc and surround sound speakers is now back in place with version 80.01.11 of the Sonos app. Hope this helps?

Anyone else having the 1002 error when updating a speaker? I’m trying to set up my first Sonos product and I can’t get passed the update?

Blown away that Sonos is not addressing this implosion of their app on their site or on this message board.  Dead silence. . . 

Either this gets fixed in the next few weeks or loyal customers like me are going to bolt.  And I feel terrible about introducing Sonos to my family and my work.

There will be a point of no return and Sonos will disappear into obscurity and will become a HBR case for a failed app launch that killed off an entire company.  Won’t be the first nor the last.

Few more weeks and then I need to find a system that actually works.

The new app absolutely sucks!  I cant even get any of my speakers to work.  It was totally fine before I downloaded the update.  Now my $5K system is totally useless!!  Do I need to remove my system from the account and then add it back?  I got it to play yesterday for about an hour but had to turn on all 5 sets of speaker for it to work.  I can’t believe this!  How the hell can they not be aware of this and not just go back to the version until this one is perfected?  I have a party planned for Memorial Day and now I won’t have music the way I planned it.  I’m furious!  

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t. With SonoPhone, I can see Arc but not the ability to control rear speakers associated with Arc. Unlike the old Sonos app you can’t “fine tune” Arc or rear surround sound speakers in the SonoPhone app, as far as I can tell. That said, all the “fine tuning control” of Arc and surround sound speakers is now back in place with version 80.01.11 of the Sonos app. Hope this helps?

Thank you. It does help.

Yes, complete “radio silence” from Sonos. Unbelievable really. I’ve seen most, if not all, message boards, since the app was updated earlier this month and absolutely nothing from Sonos, nothing, and not even any replies from them to the many complaints/comments in the reviews section in the App Store. It just comes across as if they don’t care. The app is absolutely awful (understatement) they should take that onboard, own it and fix it, and, at the very least, they should put back in place on the App Store the old app so that we can roll back to that until they fix (if ever) the new one. I’ve lost all trust with Sonos over this. The work around for me (for now) until I can afford to buy something else (maybe Bose) is to use the SonoPhone third party app (though it’s not perfect) and the Spotify App (as that’s where all my playlists are and I can see them there, unlike the new Sonos app, where I can’t). That said, we shouldn’t be put in the position of “work arounds” by Sonos. Their official app should just work 100%. Why they have seen a need to alienate their user base is beyond comprehension. A statement from them would certainly be helpful along with a timeline of when things will be fixed. 

Unlike some of you I had a seamless transition from S1 to S2 so this debacle really took me by surprise. I can only guess that they rushed this app out for support of their new headphones? I got a blue tooth transmitter to make headphones work with Sonos years ago.

Have to admit, I’ve been avoiding the new app, but was listening to a record today and went to the EQ section and noticed that “Balance” is no longer available. Sure seems like a pretty basic function to have that has now been removed - you’ve got to be kidding me. 

Have to admit, I’ve been avoiding the new app, but was listening to a record today and went to the EQ section and noticed that “Balance” is no longer available. Sure seems like a pretty basic function to have that has now been removed - you’ve got to be kidding me. 

I see a balance on my iPad controller App🤔?

along with 99.9% of other users, i agree this is one of the worst updates of a product in a long time. has sonos ever heard of user testing? of usability? of problems in REMOVING features?

in short, the new app is crap 

Ken,

Balance in EQ comers up on my iPhone version….but I still can’t add to or remove songs from my playlists which annoys me greatly. Sometimes the app can’t “load Content” which means I can’t even see my playlists which are now bundled in with “Favourites”.

I have learned a way of tricking the app into displaying the Favourites and that is to save a song (any song) to favourites, than go back to the Favourites bar and there they all are! It’s like saving something to fav’s draws them out.

Still shit that I can only save songs to fav’s but not playlists….

Android vers. no change. 

I just had a call with the german support (after nearly 1 hour of waiting cue…) and they said that engineers are currently working on the known TruePlay bugs. This week an update is expected but he does not know if this will fix the issue. I also have problems connecting Apple Music (and every other streaming service). It shows me that the service couldn‘t be added (without any error codes). They couldn‘t help me with that either (he started to guide me adding Apple Music through my Mac but then it turned out they disabled this for Desktop usage. So I have bought a 2.000€+ system that doesn‘t support one of the USPs. What a shame for this brand. I am so frustrated…

I think the bigger question is if Sonos will continue as a company.  6 or 12 months from now we will have an answer- but while we all wait to see if the app ever gets fixed and this mess becomes a distant memory, there will be little new purchases so I expect a massive sales decline that may endanger the company.

Over the past week or so, the two Sonos soundbars that are connected to two different TVs have been acting up. Specifically, when watching either of the TVs, the sound cuts in and out. It started infrequently, and now happens every 10-15 seconds or so. What is weird is that when I play music through those Sonos soundbars, they work fine. It's only when I watch TV and send the sound through the Sonos soundbars. It can't be the TV, the cable service (when watching cable TV) or the streaming service (like Prime or Netflix) because when I switch to the TV speakers, the sound is fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on, and more importantly, how to fix this?

Over the past week or so, the two Sonos soundbars that are connected to two different TVs have been acting up. Specifically, when watching either of the TVs, the sound cuts in and out. It started infrequently, and now happens every 10-15 seconds or so. What is weird is that when I play music through those Sonos soundbars, they work fine. It's only when I watch TV and send the sound through the Sonos soundbars. It can't be the TV, the cable service (when watching cable TV) or the streaming service (like Prime or Netflix) because when I switch to the TV speakers, the sound is fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on, and more importantly, how to fix this?

Try a different HDMI cable. Try swapping the soundbars.

I used to use sonos app on my ipad all the time. Now that it doesn’t work I got sonospad. It doesn’t do everything but it’s great, and let’s you play music.

The one thing you have to be careful about with the SonosPad is that changing between Playlists can result in your permanently replacing one Playlist with another, rather than simply switching between the two.  In fact, I haven’t fully figured out how to prevent this from happening -- and it is very frustrating when it does happen.  Does anyone know the correct way to switch between Playlists on SonosPad so that you are not permanently over-riding one Playlist with the songs from another Playlist?

On the whole I haven’t had the horrendous problems other users have experienced. However I have one problem that is really spoiling my system. 
I have a player, sub and two Sonos 1s in my lounge set up as a theatre setup.  
I didn’t seem to be getting any sound from my surrounds and the audio in was showing blank. I factory reset my 1s and reset them to my lounge setup. Although there was still no audio in showing I could vaguely hear sound coming from them. 
these are the screenshots from my system

As you can see from the final screenshot 5.1 is there  but barely audible and unlike the sub there is no way to change the volume. Just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem - or even had a solution. Thanks in advance. 
Regards

What a JOKE this Sonos Update - now there trying to make small releases to fix all the screw ups in the new release - what a F..N !!! Joke / Hope heads Role over this……….. especially that I work in Software releases ----- TESTING SCREWED up in BIG Way….. can anybody say any good about the new update in this release AS just it does not even match what THERE software was like 30 years ago / AND now the company offer 25% of product on new products- what  JOKE - why not concentrate on getting this new version working like it shoudl instead - do they release everybody wants to get rid of them for this screw up - NOTHING WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE

Suddenly finding I’m unable to link to my own NAS (on LAN) server is the final straw for me. I was about to extend and update my Sonos system but now, with their app screwups and inability to acknowledge their mistakes, I will be investing in an alternative system. Bye-bye Sonos…...