Unadulterated Hatred for New App

• 25 October 2017
  • 36 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

It's like it never occurred to them: have TWO apps! Having to re-learn a UI for no apparent benefit. Oh, joy.
It's like it never occurred to them: have TWO apps! Having to re-learn a UI for no apparent benefit. Oh, joy.

Apple forbids two versions of an app, unless one is an older legacy version that cannot be updated. Since Sonos cannot update the older version, eventually it will cease working with the current firmware and/or services, which is why legacy versions are not offered in this way.
Having owned Sonos equipment for many years, I've always been frustrated by their software and its clear to me that they are a hardware company and have no idea how to develop software. They should really either accept that and make software development open-source or fire their developer and bring in a new team. I keep hoping with every release that it will get better but unfortunately it doesn't. It seems like they keep their developer in an isolated environment with no exposure to current UI concepts. Ultimately I hate this product because I'm dependant on it.
I hope sonos is considering the removal of some chief software engineers, which are responsible for this disaster. Considering the very high price of these speakers, you would expect better. I decided not to expand my existing setup, and instead, for the same money as two play5, i bought two (removed). Fantastic sound, leaves Sonos in the dust. Still have Sonos for multiroom feature, but when i want quality sound i go to my (removed).You don't seem to have any Sonos products listed on your profile at the time I am writing and only joined today. So forgive me if I wonder if this is just a plug for another system.
You don't seem to have any Sonos products listed on your profile at the time I am writing and only joined today. So forgive me if I wonder if this is just a plug for another system.

Of course it is. Just the fact they had to disguise the name of the product they are spamming points to that. :8
I too have used Sonos for years - with iOS as the primary UI. The latest design is horrible. I don't know what UX/UI Design input was given and usability testing was followed, but it doesn't work for me at all.
Why would a company supposedly on top of it's game update the app for controlling rooms to make it worse....as a layman reading the posts of the myriad engineers etc chiming in their is clearly something inherently wrong with the new updates....if I go to switch rooms the original rooms wants to stay on the control with the new room selected....have to go through it several times to change and I'm on the pixel XL phone which isn't old.....bad news for Sonos
All the recent Sonos updates are a disaster. I am a Sonos retailer and we've been receiving hundreds of calls from our clients
no longer able to use their Sonos systems. This requires us to provide in- home service calls and re-education as the app is no longer intuitive, and most of our clients-both consumer and commercial- have anywhere from 6 to 128 zones. Endless problems, zones disappear, unable to access NAS drives, drop outs, even the gui jumps around on the display, Sonos devices not responding to room/zone settings, even in the most robust wired networks. Even after some of the problems are resolved, they will often resurface again.
We're done. We are now moving our clients to both Blue Sound and Denon HEOS, as these are now more robust and have greatly improved intuitive control. It's a mystery to us and other custom providers-who are also moving to Blue Sound and HEOS- why Sonos shot themselves in the foot. There is no reason for this mess, it does not serve the customers requirements.
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Userlevel 1
Badge
Couldn't agree more with all the comments here. The iOS app is flat out terrible/unusable. Sonos needs to go back the the simplicity of the CR100 controller. I could pass that around at a party and we would have wonderful uninterrupted music all evening. I wouldn't dream of doing that with my iPad with this current app as it would result is epic user failures.

When will Sonos listen to all this valuable feedback and fix this mess!