Skip to main content

Would like to vote for software support for AES67.

PTP is in the AES67 standard, and that’s already mandated in Airplay 2, and already exists in the Sonos firmware. RTP also. SIP/SDP probably also. Oh, UDP also. Oh, IGMP also. mDNS/Bonjour also. It’s like the only thing left for Sonos to do is glue those pieces together.

What’s not to like? Microsecond latency, real-time streaming, high-resolution audio compatible with a wide range of equipment, including my Sonos. The fact one can have an imperceptible output delay is a huge win.

I could send an AES stream to Australia and back before Airplay-streamed audio comes out of my speakers.

My system is ethernet wired, and I accept such a mandate for reliable audio streaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES67

Why? It appears to be a standard for professional applications over Ethernet. Sonos is primarily a wireless home audio system. 

PTP is in the AES67 standard, and that’s already mandated in Airplay 2, and already exists in the Sonos firmware.

What makes you think so? Unless something changed recently, Sonos uses SNTP for sync.

I could send an AES stream to Australia and back before Airplay-streamed audio comes out of my speakers.

I could do all sorts of things before Airplay-streamed audio comes out of my speakers. That’s because the protocol chooses to buffer a second or two of audio for resilience. It’s nothing to do with my local network latency. 

My system is ethernet wired, and I accept such a mandate for reliable audio streaming.

Well, that’s not what the vast majority of Sonos customers want or expect. See above. Moreover Ethernet is not a requirement for ‘reliable audio streaming’ via Sonos, at least in most system installations. 

Interesting article, but it reinforces the fact that this is aimed at the professional market. Perhaps you’d care to explain how Sonos would benefit from interfacing with the modest list of ‘Shipping products’ set out there?

Why? It appears to be a standard for professional applications over Ethernet. Sonos is primarily a wireless home audio system. 

And yet, Sonos devices have Ethernet ports.

I could do all sorts of things before Airplay-streamed audio comes out of my speakers. That’s because the protocol chooses to buffer a second or two of audio for resilience. It’s nothing to do with my local network latency. 

Which confirms my point.

Well, that’s not what the vast majority of Sonos customers want or expect. See above. Moreover Ethernet is not a requirement for ‘reliable audio streaming’ via Sonos, at least in most system installations. 

Take a look at packet loss on wired vs wireless networks, Mr. “vast majority”.

Interesting article, but it reinforces the fact that this is aimed at the professional market. Perhaps you’d care to explain how Sonos would benefit from interfacing with the modest list of ‘Shipping products’ set out there?

Ask yourself: where in the AES67 standard does it say it is “professional”?

Your comments demonstrate that you have not considered what a “standard” is, and that you do not want this one - AES67. Please, sit this one out. I otherwise welcome your depth of Sonos knowledge, and intention to help.

There's definitely potential use cases for AES67 and Sonos.

AV integrators working on high end residential products have rack units full of Ports, tied into the home's audio distribution system.

Implementing a new standard will take up valuable programming time for Sonos professionals, that could also be spent on other things. I do not think adding support for this standard would be useless, but do think Sonos will look carefully at choosing how they spend their resources and so will maybe use their time for something that would (in their view) be useful for a high percentage of their costumers.