Sad day for me and my CR100

• 5 November 2022
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have an old system with ZP80s, ZP100s and 2 CR100s.  I have not updated the firmware on my system since Sonos announced they would no longer support the CR100.

Most of the time, I listen to my favorite radio station through TuneIn.  A couple of days ago, I tried to listen to my favorite station and got the following message

“Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to TuneIn.”  I knew this was coming, but was hoping it would happen after I take my dirt nap.

I ran upstairs to my Windows computer and launched the old version of the Sonos controller and was able to use TuneIn to listen to my favorite radio station.

Every once in a while, I now get a commercial coming through my Sonos from TuneIn.  They are local commercials and fairly annoying.

Please note, I am not complaining about anything.  It’s just a sad fact that the things we were told about our old CR100s is coming to fruition.

I can get around the TuneIn supplied commercials with a blue tooth gizmo and an antiquated cell phone to listen to my favorite radio station.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Mike_195 As I understand it there where valid technical reasons for Sonos to retire the CR100. Sonos usually supports stuff for a much longer period than other manufacturers.

I agree with you GA is not perfect as an only way to command the system, though it usually works well.

Though maybe worded a bit strongly I do agree with @jgatie that using a phone to command the system works well. Why this aversion to using a phone for this purpose?

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Mike_195 As I understand it there where valid technical reasons for Sonos to retire the CR100. Sonos usually supports stuff for a much longer period than other manufacturers.

I agree with you GA is not perfect as an only way to command the system, though it usually works well.

Though maybe worded a bit strongly I do agree with @jgatie that using a phone to command the system works well. Why this aversion to using a phone for this purpose?

> Why this aversion to using a phone for this purpose
Simplicity and speed (to just switch it on and off) - plus I am not welded to my phone.

I think we may have different use cases: I don’t sit down and listen to the radio (much as one would do if one were listening to an album) - the radio is just switched on when I walk into the kitchen and ‘is there’ whilst I do other things.

I thought the Hue System analogy was pretty reasonable: physical wall switches (simple functionality, convenient, reliable, and fast to action); voice activation (medium functionality, convenient, not reliable, and slower to action); application (complex functionality, less convenient, reliable, slow to action). I would not want to only have the application running on a mobile phone as the only control mechanism.

I’ll go the other direction: would you want a TV without a dedicated physical remote control and have to open an app on your phone to switch the thing on? Physical remote controls are great - you don’t have to look at them to be able to use them (for decent TV brands). Apps are good when you want to search for a specific programme. 

If the Sonos phone app were the beginning and end of it all, then there would not be a market for Ikea to bring out its physical switches, iPort to have made its physical switches and the several other manufacturers who make theirs. You need a blend of input devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The CR100 used a long-abandoned embedded version of Adobe Flash as its platform. TuneIn have most likely updated their https endpoint to TLS version 1.2 which is newer than the ancient Flash version can handle. Over time every https endpoint will make this update I am sure. I addition, TuneIn “classic” is no longer supported even on S2, they want us to use the newer version that requires an account and login.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@controlav I’ve not seen any change in TuneIn. Maybe this is location based? I’m in the Netherlands.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just wonder if we “did something unusual” over the holidays with the Sonos that meant we “flipped away from Tune-in” and unfortunately could not get reconnected…

I think I am resigned to the fact that the CR100’s days are finally over and that a low cost tablet sitting in a holder is going to have to suffice.

Anyone put a Raspberry Pi inside a CR100 case? :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlav I’ve not seen any change in TuneIn. Maybe this is location based? I’m in the Netherlands.

On a mobile app, go to Sevices / Add and look at the description of TuneIn - it says it is no longer supported. (USA anyway).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On my app it still is. It even looks like I can fill in account details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

On my app it still is. It even looks like I can fill in account details.

That is the “new” TuneIn (that requires account details). The old, anonymous one is the deprecated one.

I may revive this thread, as I have the same problem; i switched on my Sonos system for the first time in a few months and got the same error message on my CR100 with regard to connecting to TuneIn. I own 2 CR100 an two S5 (1 first gen with software 8.4)

I am still able to play TuneIn radio stations on my system using an old version (8.4) of the Windows Sonos App. I only use the CR100 to change volume or pause the playback of the TuneIn Radio.

Were you able to resolve the problem, so to be able to again fully use the CR100 Shoes or AGTSIPK to connect to TuneIn and chose radio stations?

The CR100 sits in a beautiful cradle right in front of the ZP120. When I walk into the kitchen I stretch out my arm and press one button and the radio plays - how much simpler could the world be?

(And the buttons do have have lovely tactile feedback.)

This an old thread, but out of curiosity, is it a simple button press because the radio station you want to play is already in your queue?  Would pushing the play button on the ZP accomplish the same thing?

I do not feel the need to carry my phone around with me all day long.

When I do feel the need to browse the internet, look at stars, message / call people and even take photographs, I’ll happily pick up my phone and use it.

I don’t carry my phone around the home either. When I need to make a change to what’s playing, I either use voice, hard buttons on the speakers themselves, a couple different  remote options (including TV remote in some cases), and my phone.  I wouldn’t mind having a dedicated remote with hard buttons, and would probably get one if it were available, but I also understand that’s probably not profitable for Sonos to make one given all the other options.

There are rumors that Sonos is getting into streaming apps or TV based apps, so perhaps we’ll have a controller built into your TV or streaming box and can control Sonos with your TV remote someday soon.

Or you can wait for the neurolink app.

I have not been following Lutron Caseta, I don’t know if it is compatible with both S1 and S2 (probably is), but this may be an option for those who have Lutron Caseta. Caseta is available over the counter in US big box stores. It’s a self install product.

https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/Sonos_Integration_FAQs.pdf

This support PDF says that Lutron does support S1.  You just can’t connect to more that one Sonos system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi all,

Reviving this thread, as I’m trying to look for a fix right now.

Apparently the issue is with accessing the list of radios, but not playing the radios themselves. When working, I use the Noson app on Linux to control my system. That app shows the list of radios I have put aside in the “Favorites” list over the years. I can select any of these radios, and it plays just fine. But… with the issue we’re facing right now, the remote won’t let us access this list of favorites.

I there any other way to access these favorites using the CR-100? I have tried creating a playlist where I would drop in these radios, unfortunately it looks like radios cannot be added to a playlist. Any other idea on that line?
Thanks!