Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

2189 replies

Anyone else think the new user interface is the opposite of user friendly.  What backwards idiot do they have working for them that thought this was a good idea?  It makes me not want to use my Sonos anymore. Vent over.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Also, can someone at SONOS explain to me why some of my favorites are greyed out in the app but still fully functional in the desktop app (which THANK GOD has NOT been updated)???

Why did you decide to cause so MUCH FRUSTRATION among your fans…

I seriously will be looking for an alternative to your disrespectful company. One that respects us!

SONOS you have LOTS of COMPETITION now out there. DO NOT BE ARROGANT.

Userlevel 1

I hate Sonos and I hate the new app. First of all - where did the playlists go? AND I DON’T APPRECIATE BEING FORCED TO UPDATE TO A LESSER FUNCTIONING APP! This new app has done nothing to improve the start up times, the amount of time it takes for the speakers to come online, dropping of sound from a one speaker of a pair or dropping sound in a room. Years ago, I was told that my problems would be solved by buying a bridge which did nothing to improve the performance of Sonos. I’ve emailed the CEO about this a few times and all I got is a senior technician who wants to talk to me about the problem, but the thing is I’m so damn frustrated with Sonos and the quality of it’s software that I don’t want to spend any more of my time helping Sonos fix the problems that it’s created  unless to pay for my time. so for this last reason, I have severe doubts that Sonos actually reads or cares about any of my feedback because I have not seen any improvement in performance of the system and this new app has just made things worse. I find it hard to understand why company as big and successful as soon as can’t get it together. 

truly awful, i've been a SONOS user for 10+ years, this update is by far the worst thing they have done.  Hope this is fixed quickly.  WHy release this with so many features missing?  Why do i need multiple clicks just to adjust the volume?  No add to queue?! Really?

At least give me the opportunity to restore the previous app version.

Just tried using Sonos this morning--and it’s wacky.   The apps for mobile and laptop seem to be different.  Did they change/update?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have raised the question with Apple of how Sonos accessed my iPhone to force the update. The technician I spoke to wasn’t able to help but says that she has escalated the issue.

Not sure whether I will hear anything back but it might add some weight to get Apple interested?

Badge

I have to agree, you don't realise how good the previous app was until you use this one. Unless I've got it wrong it involves much scrolling back and forth between the music source and rooms. I use my music library mostly and there's no alpha-sort, you have to scroll through the entire bloody thing to select music. It seems biased towards music platforms which I suppose makes sense but why can't you use the same search ability from the old app. You already had it ffs. I store my music library on a separate data card on my phone. Why can't that be used as a library.

Definitely not intuitive. Who tested this new app? And as usual with Sonos, you get no option. Use the new app, buy new kit.......my god it's hard to stay loyal to this lot.

I have to agree, you don't realise how good the previous app was until you use this one. Unless I've got it wrong it involves much scrolling back and forth between the music source and rooms. I use my music library mostly and there's no alpha-sort, you have to scroll through the entire bloody thing to select music. It seems biased towards music platforms which I suppose makes sense but why can't you use the same search ability from the old app. You already had it ffs. I store my music library on a separate data card on my phone. Why can't that be used as a library.

Definitely not intuitive. Who tested this new app? And as usual with Sonos, you get no option. Use the new app, buy new kit.......my god it's hard to stay loyal to this lot.

Not going to answer to the app critique, UI “science” is mostly trends and is purely subjective.  Even click counts are useless to determine ease of use (but they’ll still use them).

However, the bold is not Sonos’ fault.  Both Apple and Google decided that allowing their devices to serve as a shared volume to a 3rd party player was a security issue, and they pulled that function, leaving Sonos and a couple other streamers (Bluesound was one) in the lurch.  Nothing Sonos could do about that. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For a smart company that had a similar product in the works, but not yet in production - NOW would be the time to strike while the iron is hot and get the thousands of disgruntled Sonos users to switch to a different platform. This is beyond horrible. 

For a smart company that had a similar product in the works, but not yet in production - NOW would be the time to strike while the iron is hot and get the thousands of disgruntled Sonos users to switch to a different platform. This is beyond horrible. 

As opposed to the half-dozen other Sonos-like systems already on the market?  Bose, Bluesound, Samsung, Kenwood, Wiim, etc, all have Sonos clones, or close to it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Having upgraded to the new app, I’m utterly amazed at how poor it is from a user perspective. The app is not a more personalised experience as you advertise.

It’s slow, unreliable and not intuitive to use. Previous functionality has been removed.

How did this get through any UAT? These are basic features every Sonos user has enjoyed for years. For me since 2006.

Faults with latest iOS version 

No alarm (now fixed)

No add to or edit or clear queue (directly)

No sleep timer

No widgets (for mobile)

No search for just Artist

No Browse the Artist

No Track info 

No link to album info

Unable to add or create new Deezer or Spotify playlist in the app. 

speaker groups slow to switch over. User interface is difficult to use.

App intermittently goes slow with no response. Restarting the App is the only option available. 

Unable to add song to Sonos playlist or Deezer Playlist. 

Unable to share song

Not seeing all my playlists in Spotify.

Lost saved radio stations. 

As discussed on the phone (waiting time one hour) I would like to raise a customer complaint with written responses from your complaints department. 

Sonos can you advise how I can do this please?

To date, I have not received a email back from your CEO regarding the decision by Sonos to force all users to update to the new App.

I look forward to confirmation on how I raise an official complaint with Sonos

A very dissatisfied customer.

After making a 10k dollar investment in your products to be used as my personnel private music equipment I now find I am not in control. Sonos has now decided how I should use my private property. Grant it, if I had made the purchase with the present software then I own it. How can anyone in their right mind even suggest this is just ? I do not stream music as others have communicated to you.  I have spent years putting together my own music only now having that taken away. Please do the right thing and make the previous app available and let the user decide how their equipment is to be used. Sonos don’t become Big Brother !! 

Since upgrading i  have found the app response to control very slow. Their is a huge time lag between clicking an option and the app actioning it. The app fails to track which tune is playing. I keep getting an Oops something went wrong message. Once that has happened, it fails to reconnect to the playlist/tune that was playing. The result is that the only way I can stop the music playing is to power off the speakers. Not acceptable. This feels like a major backward step. 

After making a 10k dollar investment in your products to be used as my personnel private music equipment I now find I am not in control. Sonos has now decided how I should use my private property. Grant it, if I had made the purchase with the present software then I own it. How can anyone in their right mind even suggest this is just ? I do not stream music as others have communicated to you.  I have spent years putting together my own music only now having that taken away. Please do the right thing and make the previous app available and let the user decide how their equipment is to be used. Sonos don’t become Big Brother !! 

As with all other software/hardware sold, you own the hardware, you only license the software.  So companies are free to change things in the software as outlined in the EULA you “signed” when you agreed to install Sonos.  

Besides that, Sonos has not eliminated the use of your own library (though the queue functions are lacking, which is scheduled to be fixed in early June).  If you don’t see your local library, there is something else at work (perhaps you are using the obsolete and security lax SMB v1 share protocol?).  

Userlevel 2
Badge

There are so many bugs in the new Sonos app!

I have 3 Sonos speakers; Play 5 (2nd gen), Roam, and Move. 

The new app is pure garbage!

Problems so far: 

1. I can’t add any additional content service (eg. MyTuner, CBC Radio, etc). I always get a “Something went wrong. Try again” error. Nothing will add. 

2. Whenever I try to play a station from the “Recently Played” list, I get the same error.

3. Whenever I try to select a particular speaker (Roam or Move), and hit “apply”, it always defaults automatically back to Play 5. It does this over and over again.

4. And as an added “surprise” bonus, the new app decided to arbitrarily remove my “legacy” TuneIn service which a) had all of my favorites saved and which b) didn’t play the annoying “Welcome to TuneIn” pre-roll ads before playing any and all stations. It of course kept the “new” TuneIn service which a) removed all of my saved favorites which were saved in the legacy app, and b) always plays the annoying pre-roll ads unless (I’m told) you pay Tunein a subscription fee for a “premium” service to remove the ads.  And of course, there is no option to re-add the legacy service with the new app as it has been removed as a service option.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app to my iPhone and iPad multiple times to no avail. I’ve also tried multiple resets. 

I contacted Sonos live chat last night and the Sonos Rep gave me ridiculous instructions to remove the iHeart radio service and reinstall it, which has absolutely nothing to do with my problems. I got frustrated and ended the chat as it was useless. They must know the app has completely broken people’s systems.

They also must have a gazillion people complaining because the live chat was still active after their published operating hours.

I called their customer service line this morning and there was an outgoing voice message indicating they were working on a fix for the new app over the next few weeks to fix the bugs and restore some features.

I then was prompted to stay on the line, but I hung up because there were 65 callers ahead of me! And they didn’t offer a call back service either.

Since I also have an Android tablet, I uninstalled the new Sonos app and found an old version on the Apk Pure website. I downloaded and installed it and it works perfectly except it won’t let me add any new content service unless I “update to the new app” which won’t let me add any new content service anyways because of the bug!!

What a mess!!

I have been through a few iterations of the new app and every one of them is too slow to respond! 

I’m acing extremely slow response from the Sonos app to the point it feels like it’s not achieving what it was made for. 10 plus seconds for the action to take place after you’ve changed something, if it responds at all. Anyone else? 

Hello

Since the update, we are not able to use the volume buttons on our phones and have to go in the app to use the volume functions.

I've tried uninstalling, looked in my volume settings on my phone to add Sonos but getting nowhere. Any help appreciated 

Thanks 

Badge

Not going to answer to the app critique, UI “science” is mostly trends and is purely subjective.  Even click counts are useless to determine ease of use (but they’ll still use them).

However, the bold is not Sonos’ fault.  Both Apple and Google decided that allowing their devices to serve as a shared volume to a 3rd party player was a security issue, and they pulled that function, leaving Sonos and a couple other streamers (Bluesound was one) in the lurch.  Nothing Sonos could do about that. 

Fair comment. I was on a roll. App's still much harder to use than it's predecessor.

Fair comment. I was on a roll. App's still much harder to use than it's predecessor.

People said the very same thing about the last app (and the one before that, and the one before that).  Now that app is perfectly easy and the new one is much harder.  Give it a while, muscle memory and familiarity need to kick in. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

As with all other software/hardware sold, you own the hardware, you only license the software.  So companies are free to change things in the software as outlined in the EULA you “signed” when you agreed to install Sonos.  

Besides that, Sonos has not eliminated the use of your own library (though the queue functions are lacking, which is scheduled to be fixed in early June).  If you don’t see your local library, there is something else at work (perhaps you are using the obsolete and security lax SMB v1 share protocol?).  

My library disappeared and I’m using v3.

i can’t get it back at present so it isn’t just a protocol issue.

Wow ! !  Not even an apology for the inconvenience this has caused. Even if your response to me was correct I have not changed any of my settings since first following Sonos directions when setting it up. Would have been nice to make everyone aware of this change. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Were you bullied as a child for being a bit of a bell end?

Were you a bully as a child?

Userlevel 2

The new sonos app sucks bring back the old version we have 10 speakers they all play different music that we turn off and it keeps playing. THE NEW APP SUCKS BAD..

We have a lot of money invested in sonos, we were happy for years told all our friends and family. Will you buy back all of our speakers?

Userlevel 3
Badge

The new app is a mess...laggy and unusable. Spent almost an hour there on support chat , they finally admitted it's causing lots of issues....only to then be disconnected by agent  "Raul A" when I asked how/when they plan to fix it.

What a joke!!!!!