Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

2189 replies

Userlevel 2

The implementation of the recent update is a disgrace, Sonos wake up, smell the coffee and issue a fix.

Customer service tech enquiries had a 90 minute wait!!

Userlevel 1

The new app sucks

How could you ruin a simple system with this seemingly untested crapapp please don’t tell me I’m sick with this system now bring back the old app please

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Agreeing with all the other comments about this horrible app update.  

We have Sonos in many rooms of our house - for both TV and music.  I cannot easily switch between rooms to control music/tv source.  If someone is on the patio listening to music, I cannot access the Sonos in the living room to use TV.  Your app used to be intuitive.  It is now the opposite of that.  It is borderline dysfunctional.  

My question is - with all of these user comments CLEARLY pointing to frustration, unhappiness and disappointment - when will SONOS provide an update that is user friendly and effective???????

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Borderline?...Riiiiiight.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Don’t have the time to wade through the 30+ pages of comments, so pardon any redundancy.

IMHO the new app is a failure. The user interface is clunky, involving far too much swiping and tapping, and often unintuitive. Not to mention that the app itself is a beta version. And there’s no way to revert to the superior old app. Sonos’s street-level cred is shot for the foreseeable future.

One function that’s missing and that I’ve not seen mentioned is that, as far as I can tell, the new app can’t mute individual speakers with a single tap of the speaker icon. It’s a feature I use, er, used to use all time time. Please bring it back.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The new app is not fit for purpose and for some users it is beyond that, as they are unable to make it work at all. Whilst most users would have welcomed an improved user experience, they would not wish that to be at the cost of reduced functionality.

Few expected the headphones would only be for TV audio and Sonos did nothing to diabuse people's expectations. I'm sure it fits some owners requirements, but not the majority and I suspect there are many disappointed owners. 

Will people go elsewhere?  I suspect not given their investment and lack of a market for a now tainted brand.

Will they buy more Sonos products? I doubt it for some time as they have been let down by a brand they trusted. 

The latter is a big issue for Sonos as their survival depends upon the income from new sales, not supporting a stagnant user base.

Is the only solution to that a subscription model, which will be a hard sell?

Badge

We have had our Sonos system for several years now, and just updated to S2. (All of our speakers are S2) One of us has a Samsung Galaxy A42 5G phone and the other an iPhone 13. The artwork displays on my iPhone fine, but there is absolutely no artwork on the Galaxy. We have tried shutting the whole system, Wifi and Router down and re-starting it (as previously advised in a community topic about the same issue) but this didn't solve the problem. There is still no artwork.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones: It takes the new update at least 20 seconds to load all functions as well as to connect with the system. One of my best buys turned into a nightmare, blaming myself for trusting an update before reading reviews. How disappointing Sonos has just become…

Not sure why the Sonos app was changed but it is awful. The volume doesn’t respond very quickly. When you open the app, it can’t find any Sonos products for what seems like an eternity! It really makes it hard work, especially when the old one was just fine! Please fix the problems.

Am I just completely dumb or is there no way to sort a Spotify playlist from Date Added? I generally add things into my starred playlist over time, for the last ten years, and I can’t get to the music I’ve recently added. Am I missing something? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

On Latest Android app - radio station and music album art is not showing -= works fine on IOS

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We have had our Sonos system for several years now, and just updated to S2. (All of our speakers are S2) One of us has a Samsung Galaxy A42 5G phone and the other an iPhone 13. The artwork displays on my iPhone fine, but there is absolutely no artwork on the Galaxy. We have tried shutting the whole system, Wifi and Router down and re-starting it (as previously advised in a community topic about the same issue) but this didn't solve the problem. There is still no artwork.

Does anyone have any ideas?

same issue on android with artwork

Userlevel 2

The amazing thing is the complete silence from Sonos, they have completely abused customers who have invested a lot of money in their products.

I cannot understand their behaviour.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Man, this new app is absolutely terrible. Basically makes our Sonos ecosystem useless. We have to unplug devices to turn off our music? WTF Sonos? Sure, I will happily preorder your headphones - NOT! 

We were about to pull the trigger and buy a few Moves for our pool area, but putting that in pause at the moment. 

Has anyone figured out how to make the new app workable? Like, when you want it to play something it plays in the right devices and you can turn it off without unplugging the device? Asking for a friend…

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is honestly the worst piece of junk I have ever seen, I don’t care about online crap at all, I want to play music in my library. However I cannot search my library, and they have removed all the graphics, so this piece of partially digested, and regurgitated,  fertilizer is completely useless to me.
The only way for me to play music right now is through the desktop app, which I am assuming they will drop completely, since it is still useful. :(

Have multiple speakers?   Want to open the app and pic a source to play on one of your speakers?   Cant be done easily anymore 

want to set an alarm for one of your speakers?  Not done easily, if at all.    I couldn’t find it and I have used Sonos for over 10 years

What an abject sh*t show it is. 
I never use the desktop app, this abomination should be limited to fan boy test users. 
Someone needs to pack up and do the walk of shame, maybe the whole team. 

Can’t pin a folder to home. 
Can’t scroll through the library using alphabet.

Can’t manage the library. 

What on earth is going on ??

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

So apparently they have released bug fix updates for the last 2 days in a row but nothing appears to be fixed….oh wait - there is now an option to add headphones (which have just been released).

The absolute balls on these guys. Fix what you broke before trying flog more hardware to your consumers. I genuinely hope the headphones end up being their biggest flop. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Need to add my voice so I can add my vote.

This update was a disaster.

Note, 99% of my listening is from my local Music Library. I only occasionally use Spotify or Pandora via Sonos.

• No Album art.  Really?
  • No song info.  Really?
  • I can no longer look at the queue and then add a track to a playlist
  • I find the navigation kludgy.

I make playlists all of the time and this release took away 99% of the features I use in the app.  Please allow us to run Sonos 16.1 until you have fixed this problems.  Needing to wait weeks to for functions we already had is just unacceptable.

Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My MacOS desktop app keeps bugging me to update it. Says I’m missing out on functionality. Ha!

After the disaster that is the hobbled iPhone app, there’s no way I’ll be updating soon. As things stand now, it’s the only way I can instantly mute speakers (by clicking the speaker icon), a function I use all the time and that appears to be AWOL from the “new improved” phone app.

My issue is probably reasonably rare, but it is a change that has resulted in the new app not working at all for me

My setup means that my Sonos devices and my iPhone sit on different network subnets, but have routing between them. Prior to the update, as long as the Sonos devices were on the same IP addresses they were last time you used the app, it would find them (albeit after maybe 5 seconds) and you could then use them as normal. Now I’ve updated to the new app (big mistake, as we all now know), it just sits there asking me to setup a new system or join an existing system (which it then fails to find)

Please can we just have the old app back? It’s not like any of us here will need the new app, as we wont be buying the new headphones after you’ve done this to us!

After update 16.2 the equalizer in the Playbar does not work.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t play any of my favourite stations - on either the tablet or laptop I get a ‘something went wrong’ message but no possible solutions. Strangely, I can play BBC podcasts but none of my regular stations. Any ideas? I don’t really want to reinstall before I look for other options.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

My MacOS desktop app keeps bugging me to update it. Says I’m missing out on functionality. Ha!

After the disaster that is the hobbled iPhone app, there’s no way I’ll be updating soon. As things stand now, it’s the only way I can instantly mute speakers (by clicking the speaker icon), a function I use all the time and that appears to be AWOL from the “new improved” phone app.

I just installed today’s “fix” and…. Nothing in my Sonos world has been resolved. I’m not upgrading my desktop controllers due to fear of the known and unknown. I have an older Mac OS in my office so I chatted with Sonos support who told me that updated the controller on said OS would work. I pondered it for days then… the ill-fated Titanic Sonos app was released. Released like a virus into our lives. It now appears I didn’t have to update that desktop controller to screw up my system. Just the latest greatest most extensive update ever. I’m so happy.

Where’s stingray music!