Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

2189 replies

1. Why was this app updated? I can’t get it to find my system every time it is playing and the app is closed out when it reopens it will not show what is playing on my speakers. 

2. Apple Music has lost its alphabetical index on the right margin for artists. I have 600+ artists in my library. I have to scroll for 10 seconds to get to ZZ Top. 

3. functionality is horrible. 
  4. please bring back the S2 app, it was fine. This now makes me angry as hell, I have 11 speakers!! I’ve been a customer since 2014!!’ 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I too considered a hardware update and augment number of speakers - no longer, Sonos has made a big step backwards in market credibility! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I cannot fathom how many people must have signed off on the latest app release despite it being markedly worse then its predecessor (which was in itself far from a quality piece of work). What on earth do Sonos executives think they are playing at? 

Is there some kind of set-in-stone negative correlation within Sonos, where as their prices inevitably increase and increase, the user experience (primarily dictated by the software) must inevitably decrease and decrease?

Are Sonos now so comfortable within their laurels and protected from competition that the improvement of the customer experience is no longer a concern? Have Sonos become the audio equivalent of Bethesda?

What are the serious alternatives to Sonos as a wireless, WiFi multi-room audio solution with a robust and smooth software user experience? Price really need not be a factor as Sonos is not a cheap option by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps if noticeable numbers of people started to gravitate away from Sonos to a worthy competitor, they might actually rediscover their enthusiasm for delivering a productive and premium user experience and remember how well they used to be thought of…?

So who are the other players, since Sonos seem unconcerned with their users?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Has anyone seen an apology from Sonos?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Maybe after the class action lawsuit. 😡

The new app is garbage. Total crap. I have two homes and complicated systems. This broke all of it. Crap crap crap. I’m so upset with this company and the thoughtlessness applied to this piss poor update. As technology gets more advanced, using it should get easier. Fix it Sonos before we all leave.

The powers at Sonos are obviously a:

Selection

Of

Non caring

Opportunist

$grabbers

Corporate entities such as these are, once successful, only interested in the money and not the people who got them to where they are today - THEIR CUSTOMERS !

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I'm going to give Audio Pro a go. Start with one speaker and if the app for that is acceptable enough then bulk buy the rest to replace my entire Sonos set up. If I can recoup half the cost by selling the Sonos speakers I'll happily take the loss just to get Sonos out of my house, because you just know that even if they eventually sort this mess out it's only a matter of time before they screw everyone over again. I've been loyal for a decade but enough is enough.

I gave Denon a go and rejected it. Now I am giving Bluesound a go. It has decent apps for Mac, PC, iOS and Android. The speakers are in some ways better and in some ways worse than Sonos. But the app is important, as we have all learned recently.

Userlevel 1

I’m really missing the now absent AutoPlay feature on Line-In ports. As I’m using a Sonos system (2xFive+1xSub) in my office as the main driver for my Desktop PC (Linux, premium sound card connected via jack to Sonos’ Line-In port) I find myself (annoyingly)often having to open the app on my phone in order to enable this Line-In port (the web-app has apparently skipped QA entirely and is showing Line-In ports that have nothing connected to them, but that’s another story).

This whole operation is really unnecessary since I’m quite confident the Line-In config option still exists on OS2 and porting/refactoring this feature would take:

• a maximum of 5-8 dev hours to port/refactor/implement/test..
  • another ~2h of QA.
  • ~3 days to convince the current (hopefully soon-to-be former) (*)psychopath Product Owner for the Sonos App project to actually release this restored feature into production.

(*) disclaimer: this is my personal opinion and should not be taken as fact - I’m merely observing similar patterns between the two conditions, especially when considering that a PO had to sign off on this before pushing the latest update.

I know for a fact that the current firmware on all my devices was OS2 while using the previous app, so obviously the API to do this is still available.

Too bad tho, having this amazing hardware that’s constantly apologizing for it’s PoS software.

I’m probably going to build a script that detects sound locally and does the control/playback/loadLineIn + control/playback/play requests (one good thing that came out of the web app is that I can see the requests and build a better app myself in a couple of days).

Hit me up if you’re using Linux and think you could benefit from this app

Userlevel 1

Bluetooth support:

I also know for a fact that all devices have a working bluetooth chip & antenna already embedded (heavily used in the setup process), yet you only offer AirPlay as a streaming source, which is a shame.

Do you know what I’ve heard every time I bought a Sonos product from the mouths of every sigle retailer?

Be careful as this system doesn’t support Bluetooth!

I wonder just how many customers have been turned away because of this very simple fact.

A simple statistics excercise (based on client operating system alone) tells us that this is almost 50% of the US market and 70% of the global market of untapped opportunity (these are the android, windows & linux users that don’t have native AirPlay support) - this is craaazy IMHO… That’s SEVENTY (not a typo) percent of untapped global market.

Here’s a visual aid:

←            Untapped 70% of GLOBAL MARKET!                    → ←             Sonos        → 

You could fairly easily repurpose this bluetooth functionality after the device has been set up to listen for audio connections and pipe whatever comes from it as a new Source (UX/UI would be identical to the one used for LineIn, including setting up the audio delay, etc so the App effort would be minimal - I’d like to put as little pressure on the App devs as possible ATM as I’m sure they’re quite demoralized after this Product Owner/QA-induced fiasco of a release).

That reminds me. What’s with the Audio Pin?! - you already have a bluetooth connection established on a hidden BSSID - why would you add this useless extra step when you’re already connected to it and you can be fairly confident that no “lurking attacker“ has connected to my speaker after I’ve just plugged it in for the first time. Seriously now? I bet this was one of the 1st features dreamed up by an over-engineering dev that wanted to show off on Sonos’ dime (*≧▽≦)σ (rofl).

Beautiful hardware constantly appologizing for it’s PoS software.

Userlevel 3

I can’t believe someone signed off on this garbage app. Total loss of function, infinitesimally slower, and dumb as *. You’ve shattered an already broken app. To what avail? 75 minute wait times on your call in line show the problems inherent. I don’t need to list them. You have screwed every one of your loyal customers with this * update. Fix it soon, or we will leave en masse. We, your true customers, have the disposable income. Get your goddamn * straight. And for the love of god, add the “queue” function back. Literally, the most basic function in the history of digital music. You dumbass idiots. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For a company that promotes ease of use and intuitive products, they release an absolute disaster to the customers. Not just providing functionality that DOESN'T work, but they delete functionality without telling the customer base of the change. They’ve managed to piss off not just users of a function or two, but dozens of functions are broken or missing. Did you do ANY UX testing? Because all of this would have shown itself in user experience testing if it were done. Maybe the failures were ignored? Who the HELL signed off on that to let it go to production?? 

Then you have the nerve to send an email today telling me about some “new hardware release” thats’ coming? Do you actually think ANYONE will be willing to spend MORE money on a crap system like this??

I will tell anyone and everyone to RUN from the thought of buying anything from you. The class action lawsuit can’t come fast enough.

Userlevel 1

Which QA/QC DEI hire is responsible for this bullshit update? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The absolute cheek of Sonos to try and advertise a new product to me on email while their existing products and app is broken. 

Something new for todays fun and games, investigating via the Mac Controller why my Music Library has disappeared (it was showing directly after the app updated for 48 hours then disappeared), it turns out that somewhere Sonos has totally stripped all settings for my Music Library. Re-added Library via the Mac controller which is on S2 (they keep prompting me to update - not happening), and the Music Library is back, albeit still missing some features. 

It feels like Sonos are hugely unaware of the upset and frustration they are causing to their loyal customer base. 

Would be great for a Sonos representative to actually make a statement with a solid timeline for a fix or even comment on these forums. It’s feels like we are all just shouting into the void right now. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I don't think it's possible for Sonos to be unaware of the upset and frustration they are causing, I just think they have opted to ride it out, believing that existing customers are too financially invested to switch and will eventually forget all this ever happened.

The longer they refuse to engage and apologise the angrier people are becoming and the more damage will be done to the brand. It's extreme corporate arrogance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

For anybody interested. Best Sonos alternatives 2024:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/the-best-sonos-alternatives-budget-and-premium-multi-room-options

I’ve personally been looking at Bluesound as an alternative. This is what Sonos have pushed me to after being a loyal customer for years. I’m just fed up of their shenanigans.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For anybody interested. Best Sonos alternatives 2024:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/the-best-sonos-alternatives-budget-and-premium-multi-room-options

I’ve personally been looking at Bluesound as an alternative. This is what Sonos have pushed me to after being a loyal customer for years. I’m just fed up of their shenanigans.

I agree. I am placing a BlueSound order today to replace my 10 Sonos speakers. What a shame. Bluesound has an excellent app that is available on Mac, PC, iOS and Android. Sonos has a PC app but it is bare bones and cannor configure the setup and will almost certainly go away with the changed focus of Sonos. Sonos has thrown people under the bus is they are not focused on streaming. Bluesound is not likely ever to do that as they are focused on audiophiles which tend to love their local collections. Bluesound also has bidirectional bluetooth, a USB port for connection a thumb drive or hard drive, optical and audio input, plus a headphone jack. I think it will be a good new home. I also looked at Denon, which is excellent but it has fewer app offerings and input options.

The new app is slow as turtle… actually now it’s better to use AirPlay that try to use the app. Was huge fan of Sonos but this last update is a like I was hit by a stone wall. Not playable… I cannot test in beta, don’t get the chance, I am wondering if somebody from a customer side even had a chance… 

Actually I would prefer if you get back the old app and maybe after you make this new one workable put it as a early beta and maybe use the 2 apps so we can choose the version we are comfortable to play with. 

I’m happy to see that it isn’t just me.  The new app is terrible!  I’m very unhappy with it.

Just thought I would add my five pence worth.

As a veteran programmer and systems analyst, I find it utterly ridiculous the sheer lack of professionalism or understanding when updating this app.

First off because they were too lazy to design a workaround when Android stop streaming from your phone, probably to force the issue of only a few giants holding all the music. Then with this latest update, the hard fought solution to get it usable by using a media server AND the app has been snatched away.

I can imagine it was some project manager in a suit with little conception of user needs and even less knowledge and imagination when it comes to development. I hate to think it was just sheer stupidity and laziness on their part but who knows.

The better solution would to have allowed a legacy version of the app to continue otherwise older Sonos products (including my IKEA Symfonisk lamp) are just destined for landfill. Completely inappropriate for the planet and mind numbingly stupid for owners of older equipment.

If Sonos only intention is to make older platforms obsolete to strong arm customers into buying the latest, then it should be in all our interests to sell up ALL Sonos equipment new and old in favour of other brands.

At least in their arrogance, allow access to technical data that would allow proper developers to rewrite the awful software to use with our legacy equipment.

Thanks SONOS for being pig ignorant and leaving my Symfonisk as an overpriced table lamp!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

The new app is, for me, poor, a big backwards step from what we had before. Graphics are not as user friendly and finding basic things like battery health means diving through various menus. Biggest problem though is that the app struggles to find my Sonos even when next to it in a strong wifi signal. Never had this problem with the old app.  Getting close to the point of buying a different make of speaker. Would be happy if Sonos just went back to the old app. Not perfect but acceptable and much better than what we have now.

Agreeing with all the other comments about this horrible app update.  

We have Sonos in many rooms of our house - for both TV and music.  I cannot easily switch between rooms to control music/tv source.  If someone is on the patio listening to music, I cannot access the Sonos in the living room to use TV.  Your app used to be intuitive.  It is now the opposite of that.  It is borderline dysfunctional.  

My question is - with all of these user comments CLEARLY pointing to frustration, unhappiness and disappointment - when will SONOS provide an update that is user friendly and effective???????

So far, I’m quite satisfied with the new Sonos app. My speakers are all on a separate VLAN which has been difficult for the app to detect. So far, the new app appears to have fixed those problems and the speakers connect quickly and reliably.

Everyone here is experiencing a huge deficit in the quality of their Sonos App experience.

SONOS, you need to patch or update this app NOW. 

I cannot even use my ROAM anymore because the app simply does NOT WORK without completely re-learning a terrible design. All my connected playlists work for one play, then revert to missing.

Half of what we used to find on the start screen is now buried deeply in favor of 
choosing connected external apps. Daily alarm? BURIED behind a small word, rather than the CLOCK that your customer base came to expect. 

After an hour of reading, testing and research, I then went to the phone portal.
USELESS and FRUSTRATING.

• Extremely long hold times
  • NO resolution, terrible app design,
  • NO option to schedule a callback on a 75-minute hold time..

If you’re going to make a top-tier networked music device, hire some programmers who actually understand User Experience Design.

This is trash and there is no recourse to revert the App.
Had we known the SONOS was going to slip a buggy old had into our devices, we would never have allowed them to Update automatically. You have basically ruined the SONOS experience. It;s all over the internet and Social Media.

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you want to prevent the app update from loading on your devices:

Turn off automatic updates

iOS:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-auto-update-iphone-5206079 

Android:

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-on-android-5192496#toc-how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-on-an-android-phone 

(Scroll a bit further to next section titled "Stop Automatic Updates for Specific Apps")

Unfortunately, no way to disable any updates on Apple OS. Do NOT use your desktop app, otherwise you will use your Music Library access for sure.