Answered

Creating a multi-source music system with wired and wifi speakers

• 6 May 2019
  • 1 reply

I have all my music organised on iTunes. I would be willing to use another software for music organisation.
I have recently begun using streaming services for music (spotify, Youtube)
My current setup is 2 x Sonos One's for music that i play through a smartphone.
and separately a 35yr old receiver/amp and bookshelf speakers that are top quality that i use as computer speakers.

I would like to combine the two systems
Can i get a Sonos Amp and connect my bookshelf speakers to it, also control 2 x Sonos One's and direct control via either phone or computer?
Does the Sonos Amp require the software on the computer to run?
Are there limitations on the proposed setup? Youtube works through my current setup.....
Is there a way to run a Sonos based system without the software?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 6 May 2019, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi Ashton M

I assume your 35 year old AVR has a dedicated old school PC port as I doubt it would have HDMI direct. Then again you could have purchased a future proof AVR. 🙂 The good news is that your 35 year old AVR probably has a RCA Tape Loop (in-put and out-put) or at least an open input.

That said you could purchase a Sonos Connect, attach it to the Tape Loop (in-put and out-put), set it as a room and play music to it stored on your iOS device or Computer as well a streaming service to other Sonos speakers via the Sonos App.

If you have a turn table or CD player connected to the AVR you can play music and Group the Connect to other Sonos speakers and enjoy that music as well (again via the Sonos App).

When in Tape Loop the speakers connected to the AVR will fuction as normal. You will have to adjust the volume level for them independent of the Sonos app.

There is no additional software required.

I hope this helps. Cheers!