Answered

Problem adding a third Sonos Play 3 Speaker

• 19 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

We’ve had a Sonos bridge with two Play 3 speakers for several years.  It works brilliantly.  So we finally bought a third Play 3 Speaker for top floor.  But when I try to connect it, it says I need an update, and when I try to update, it says I need an upgrade.

I’m guessing there are clever people out there who know a workaround so that Sonos can't try and force us to ditch workable hardware that has nothing wrong with it and buy all new hardware, which I will not do from a company that treats its customers like this.

I’m reasonably tech savvy, but can’t find a way yet to connect it.  Anyone able to help?

Dave

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 February 2023, 14:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’m guessing the PLAY:3 you bought may have S2 installed on it, not S1. If that’s the case, you’ll need to install the S2 controller in order to connect to it to downgrade it to S1, and then run the S1 controller to connect it to your current system. 

Conversely, if all you have is that pair of PLAY:3s, there’s no reason not to go through the process of upgrading them to S2, and then adding the third one. My PLAY:3s run happily on S2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: “so that Sonos can't try and force us to ditch workable hardware that has nothing wrong with it and buy all new hardware, which I will not do from a company that treats its customers like this.”

Why start your question with an insult/suspicion like this, especially when;

• this is a user community in which Sonos employees sometimes pass by; and
  • you do not know what's the cause of your problem yet.
Userlevel 1

I’m guessing the PLAY:3 you bought may have S2 installed on it, not S1. If that’s the case, you’ll need to install the S2 controller in order to connect to it to downgrade it to S1, and then run the S1 controller to connect it to your current system. 

Conversely, if all you have is that pair of PLAY:3s, there’s no reason not to go through the process of upgrading them to S2, and then adding the third one. My PLAY:3s run happily on S2.

Many thanks Airgetlam.  I’ve checked and I have S1 installed.  But it won’t let me add the third Play 3 Speaker.  Sonos says;

You have 1 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2. Learn about your options below.

Stay on S1

Continue to enjoy your system as you do now. However, you won't receive new features or be able to add S2 products.

Upgrade

Save up to 30% on any new product and get your system ready to update to S2.

Remove S1 products

Use the app to remove incompatible products and immediately update the rest of your system to S2.

In other words, buy a new system :)

Don’t think I’ll bother risking Sonos again.

Many thanks anyway

Userlevel 1

You state: “so that Sonos can't try and force us to ditch workable hardware that has nothing wrong with it and buy all new hardware, which I will not do from a company that treats its customers like this.”

Why start your question with an insult/suspicion like this, especially when;

• this is a user community in which Sonos employees sometimes pass by; and
  • you do not know what's the cause of your problem yet.

The problem is what Sonos says. i.e.

You have 1 products in your system that are not compatible with the new app, Sonos S2. Learn about your options below.

Stay on S1

Continue to enjoy your system as you do now. However, you won't receive new features or be able to add S2 products.

Upgrade

Save up to 30% on any new product and get your system ready to update to S2.

Remove S1 products

Use the app to remove incompatible products and immediately update the rest of your system to S2.

In other words, if I want to add a third speaker to my working system, I can’t, but have to either buy new or remove bits of it.  Same thing really.

It’s not really an insult or suspicion, but the truth, sadly :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidEJM 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Out of sheer curiosity, I took an early look at your existing system (I’m supposed to wait until the conversation has died down) - I’m glad I did, as I had assumed the same as @Airgetlam in that you were still on S1.

Your existing Play:3s are already on S2. It sounds like your “new” Play:3 is probably on S1, but it might just be on an older version on S2.

The main issue is your Bridge - it has not been used since you updated to S2, and it seems very likely the only thing it is doing is getting in your way. Even if you were still on S1 and actually able to use the Bridge, we’d still recommend that you not do so.

Please permanently power-off and disconnect the Bridge. If this makes your whole system go offline (which seems very unlikely, but I’m saying this just in case), please temporarily connect an existing Play:3 to the router instead, wait for the system to come online, then go to Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks » Update Networks and follow the on-screen instructions to get your Sonos system on WiFi. The app will tell you when to disconnect the ethernet cable.

You should then be able to add the “new” Play:3 to your system without issue. If not, I recommend rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Importantly, you don’t need to buy anything, and, frankly, never did.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

I take back all my negative comments. I have just spoken to Sonos support and was helped by a brilliant chap who removed the old bridge and got all 3 speakers working! My comments were based on some Google posts I found. Lesson learned. It has been frustrating, but what a brilliant ending. 👏 

Userlevel 1

And many thanks Corry too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DavidEJM 

I’m glad to hear it - thanks for updating the thread!