Answered

My Play1 speakers won't connect after router power outage.

• 15 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

My AT&T router renamed itself after a power outage. I have two Play1 speakers that only work now if connected via ethernet cable. Stringing cables defeats the point of having a wireless system. I have to use my phone app to try to connect, but the app can’t find the speakers any more. I have tried all of the recommended troubleshooting. After hours of trying still nothing works. I spent an hour with support, but they weren’t much help. After restarting my router several times and doing factory resets it was clear that they were going in circles. They had no suggestions.

The system selection on the app is grayed out, so no help there.

These speakers sound ok when they work, but it’s always a pain to get them to work. Are they just too old? Are the Play1s no longer supported?. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 August 2023, 20:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My PLAY:1s continue to work without issue.

If I were to guess, since your router renamed itself (!), you just need to follow the instructions in the new router - installation instructions FAQ. Essentially, a rename is the same thing as ‘new’. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

That is the case: my AT&T router renamed itself for some unknown reason. One speaker works only when connected to the router via Ethernet. When I try the setup for a new router, the app instructs me to unplug the Ethernet cable. Once I confirm that I’ve done that it says it’s connecting on a temporary network and then says “connection successful.” It then says “connecting” but nothing happens except the waiting animation. The same happens with my 2nd Play1: the app finds it on a temporary network, claims it’s connected, and then cycles endlessly.

Everything else on my network works fine after entering the new network password. I see nothing in the Sonos app that acknowledges my router, and there’s no opportunity to introduce the network password. Network settings just consist of Sonos channels 1, 6, & 11 and nothing else.

When I had Sonos support on chat we tried factory resetting everything and setting it up as a new system. We tried restarting the network too. Support just had me going in circles with no success. I wish that these speakers just had Bluetooth capability. They sound good when they work, but network issues have always made them a time consuming chore to use.

Should I just settle for having one work on Ethernet and toss or give away the other, or is there something I haven’t tried yet?

That is the case: my AT&T router renamed itself for some unknown reason. One speaker works only when connected to the router via Ethernet. When I try the setup for a new router, the app instructs me to unplug the Ethernet cable. Once I confirm that I’ve done that it says it’s connecting on a temporary network and then says “connection successful.” It then says “connecting” but nothing happens except the waiting animation. The same happens with my 2nd Play1: the app finds it on a temporary network, claims it’s connected, and then cycles endlessly.

Everything else on my network works fine after entering the new network password. I see nothing in the Sonos app that acknowledges my router, and there’s no opportunity to introduce the network password. Network settings just consist of Sonos channels 1, 6, & 11 and nothing else.

When I had Sonos support on chat we tried factory resetting everything and setting it up as a new system. We tried restarting the network too. Support just had me going in circles with no success. I wish that these speakers just had Bluetooth capability. They sound good when they work, but network issues have always made them a time consuming chore to use.

Should I just settle for having one work on Ethernet and toss or give away the other, or is there something I haven’t tried yet?

It initially sounds like you have not (yet) removed the old WiFi SSID and added the (presumably) new/current SSID/password (credentials), so perhaps give that a try - I’m assuming the new network you’re seeing is a 2.4Ghz WiFi signal too and not just the routers 5Ghz (only) band… there might of course still be a fault with your router. I’m also assuming that you have not factory reset any of your Sonos products.

Anyhow, as long as your controller device meets these requirements (see LINK), then wire one speaker only to the router, reboot all your other speakers. 

Next, connect your mobile device to the routers 2.4Ghz band and open the Sonos App. If all is well, you should now see all your Sonos speakers.  

In the App goto  ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ and choose to ‘Update Networks’ … follow the onscreen instructions to add the new CaSE sEnSitIVe WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) to the entire system/players and then in the same area of the App also remove the old WiFi credentials by selecting them in the list and opting to remove them via their ‘pop-up/context’ menu.

Once the above is completed, uncable the wired Sonos device and wait 5-10 minutes for all devices to show up in the App and are (hooefully) now running on you’re new wireless network signal. If it doesn’t work, reboot the missing player(s) only, although maybe also go onto consider that you may have incorrectly entered the new WiFi credentials, so just make sure the details are entered with some care.

Hope you get all back up and running with your router.

A simple power failure should not result in the router changing the WiFi setup. I’m suspicious of a router fault.

Factory Reset has complicated the issue. Since I’m not sure exactly what you have done. I suggest that you wire the working speaker to the router and power down the other speaker. If the wired speaker comes online, follow Ken’s suggestion of going to Manage Networks and delete all networks except the current WiFi. If the current WiFi is not present here, add it. Now this wired player should be functional.

Next, power up the other player and wire it to the router. If it does not come online, Factory Reset (only) this player and add it to your system as a new player. Do not setup a new system.

Both players should be online at this point and available via wired or WiFi. Now you can rename them, stereo pair, or whatever. As you switch between wired and wireless, allow a couple minutes for the players to work out the current connection scheme.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to live with the one speaker working via ethernet. I’m sure that I can find a good home for the other one. I have looped through the suggestions a couple of times, but I have realized that I shouldn’t be working this hard just to hear music. We can close this conversation. Thanks again.