Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Please add me to the list of users who wish to see some form of pairing between Play:1 and One.
Userlevel 1
The main reason I bought the Sonos One was for the Alexa functionality AND to pair to with a Player 1. Please address this soonest. Seems like a complete waste. Who needs to Alexa's in the same bloody room.
I am also disappointed. I had never attempted to pair a Play 1 with a 3 or 5 as that would not make much sense. My house is organized such that the kitchen and living room are separated by a stairwell with a short walkway spanning its width that connects the kitchen to the living room. I have a 5.1 system in the living room with two Play 1's as the surrounds. My intent with buying the new Sonos One was to replace the Play 1 that was mounted to the wall at that little walkway, thereby allowing voice control using Alexa via that one speaker from both rooms. I had never thought there would be an issue of swapping out that Play 1 with the new Sonos One as I'd never read about any issues or suspected it would be a problem. I bought a new Flexson mount for the Sonos One from Crutchfield and swapped out all the hardware. Went to set up the surrounds and stumbled upon this odd lack of functionality.

As mentioned, I understand that it would be odd to pair different sized models (i.e. a 1 with a 3 or 5), but these two are sooooooo similar to each other that if someone pointed out that they aren't aesthetic equals then you should probably kick them out of your house right then and there. The acoustics are going to be so similar that your average person is not going to pick up on the difference, and I am certainly not as discerning as the conductor of the Boston Pops.

I just don't understand why in the Sonos even gives a hoot. They aren't like Steve Jobs -- designing everything purposely to limit integration with other products as they have gone out of their way to allow you to link old speakers, sync with Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, etc. To me this is an unnecessary sticking point.

Better yet, it's a place they might lose money. People might upgrade a speaker for added functionality, but they might draw the line at two. I'm considering taking mine back because it's caused me to now waste an extra $50 for the mount plus the added expense over a Play 1.

Needs a patch soon.
I’ve recently made the leap to Sonos and bought the Sonos One, combining the sound quality of Sonos and the functionality of Alexa voice control.
I was so impressed with the sound quality and having read that the One is pretty much a Play 1 with Alexa, I decided only this week to spend another £150 on a Play 1 to pair and introduce stereo sound to my lounge.
Needless to say I had no reason to believe that these two couldn’t be paired and am now very dissapointed and frustrated having read all of these comments that there is no official fix. Who in their right mind would think that you need two voice activated speakers in the same room to get them to pair?
Why aren’t Sonos listening to all of these requests. If it can be done with a third party app, how difficult can it be for the manufacturer to sort it out themselves.
Please listen and sort this out soon
Badge
+1 on wanting to pair a play:1 with my new ONE
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos says that sonically they are not exactly alike a didn't want to promote them as a stereo pair.

They did acknowledge that they are pretty close and are thinking of allowing. Maybe they will in an upcoming firmware.
Disappointed with Sonos on the subject of not being able to pair a Sonos One with a Play:1.
My wife and I treated ourselves to a Sonos One for Christmas with the primary intention of creating a stero pair with our existing Play:1.
Having the Amazon assistant was secondary.
After unsuccessfully trying to pair them I found out on the internet forums, to my dismay that it couldn’t be done.
The Sonos One was returned for a refund this morning.
Own goal Sonos! 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But you are able with third party app right now.
Disappointed with Sonos on the subject of not being able to pair a Sonos One with a Play:1.
My wife and I treated ourselves to a Sonos One for Christmas with the primary intention of creating a stero pair with our existing Play:1.
Having the Amazon assistant was secondary.

If so, why haven't you bought a second Play:1?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Second play:1 and an echo dot purchase still less money then a Sonos One.
Same with everyone else here. Spent an hour trying to pair the Sonos One with my existing surround. Thought it would be a no brainer...wrong! Why would anyone need 2 microphone speakers for a left and right channel. Hope Sono updates soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It’s not an an app issue it’s somethjng blocking it properly on your network. Try taking one of the working playbar or sun and hook to router. Give system about 5 min to adjust to router plug in and then try adding plays again.
Very disappointed that you can't pair One and Player:1. Bought the One to be able to control music with our baby in the living room without staring at our phones. Now, we have to group speakers manually anyway because we can't pair our bar, sub, One and Player:1 as a room downstairs. Would have to take our Player:1 from our master bedroom upstairs, downstairs and move the One upstairs and buy an Amazon Dot or Echo to still have voice control downstairs. Totally defeats the reason I bought the One in the first place. With such good engineering you'd think they could find a work around and make them pairable. Please fix this Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
iOS app sonosequencer will force pair rhem
Anyone else see this tweet from Sonos support? Apparently they are not going to attempt? Having a hard time with the sonos sequencer app. Anyone post the step by steps to do the bootleg pairing? https://twitter.com/SonosSupport/status/943804547293761536
The fact that theyve been made to look very alike gave the impression the 1s and Ones were the same except for the addition of alexa. Could they not have been given a different name to avoid the confusion. I have a play 1 which i use with an echo dot. I got a play One for christmas so i could move the echo dot upstairs. Its disappointing that the two speakers dont make a stereo pair, and that alexa on the One wont allow drop in or make calls. Shame around really as ive split the speakers unstairs and down which wasn't at all my intentions. Really hope therell be an update. ??
I thought the were given a different name. :?

Play:1 vs Sonos One.
One and 1.....the names arent distinguishing enough. Its clearly a marketing trick.
One and 1.....the names arent distinguishing enough. Its clearly a marketing trick.

No, it's not 1 and One. It is PLAY:1 and One. Clearly more distinguishable than the Play:5 and Play:5 (Gen. 2) (which also cannot be paired).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually they don't even call it play anymore do they.

Isn't it

Play:1
Sonos One

Marketing Trick? Why is there always some conspiracy. What would they benefit by this supposed "TRICK".

I went to buy an Audi S6 and the one on the lot was clearly not the same Audi S6 I bought two years ago. Why are they trying to trick me!
Actually they don't even call it play anymore do they.

Isn't it

Play:1
Sonos One

Yes, correct.
Nope, no conspiracy theory or "tricks" coming from me. The point im making is that isnt totally obvious that the two speakers wont allow the same functionality, they look very similar and the name is undoubtedly similar. So its no wonder that Im not the only person that had been mistaken. And yes it is my mistake before you all jump on that too. I came on here to express my opinion that the lack of stereo paring functionality is disappointing....thats literally all.....
By trick i ment that not many people would want two alexa enabled devices in one room, so im sure allot of people, as well as myself have bought under the impression "they look the same so will do the same" easy mistake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have always thought the Play:5 (gen 2) should have been called the Play:6.

However, I think one of the reasons you see names re-used is the retailers. It's probably much easier to have a retailer to carry the newer version of item they already carry vs. going through getting them to stock a completely different item. Maybe not so much in Sonos case as the retailer base is rather small but some major manufacturers could have issues introducing a newly named version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do agree having both with Alexa is redundant but Alexa picks up one believes can hear you best.

Really they don’t match the play:1 looks wise as the grills are not grey The Sonos One though does look identical to the limited edition Play:1 Tone from about a year or so ago (of which I have the black version which would look nice with a Sonos One)
I'm also very disappointed with this news. Treated myself to a Sonos One for Christmas, expecting to be able to replace one of my Play:1's in my living room, where I currently have 5:1 set up with Playbar and two x Play:1's.
I thought it would be an improvement, and didn't think for a second that I'd need two Alexa's in one room! Makes no sense to me.