Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But Mike did the different aesthetics detract from the sound? :D
No. 🙂 But remember, I have a Play:1 Tone and Sonos One, and those aesthetics are a lot more similar than a regular Play:1/Sonos One. (and yes, I realize the point of the question here, just pointing out that some setups may not have the drastic aesthetic difference in the first place)

Now need to find a way to add a play 1/one combo to a 5.1 setup. This pairing via a 3rd party app has confirmed however that it is not (on the surface at least) a technical issue but a commercial one.
Yeah, that's one thing I noticed that the app didn't do... surround sound/5.1 (aside from the basic settings available in the Sonos controller). Because I have a Playbar with two Play:1's, and setting up a macro to unbond the Play:1's from the Playbar and set them as a stereo pair could be helpful at times. Plus, adding the unmatched Play:1/Sonos One pair as surround speakers.

Very interesting/useful. But it would be also good to know any downsides. Is there any chance of bricking Sonos kit this way?
I would be surprised if it did. While the Sonos controller only sees one room after this pairing is done, the SonoSequencr app still clearly identifies the devices separately (while it only identifies my existing bonded surround sound setup strictly as "Playbar")... and like I mentioned, I would be surprised if this pairing lasted through a reboot. Trueplay might get a bit confused in this situation, as it tries to tune the audio of two different speakers... I didn't try to go that far at this point, since it is certainly unsupported.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I would be surprised if it did. While the Sonos controller only sees one room after this pairing is done, the SonoSequencr app still clearly identifies the devices separately (while it only identifies my existing bonded surround sound setup strictly as "Playbar")... and like I mentioned, I would be surprised if this pairing lasted through a reboot.

Yes, but you should not send any commands (with SonoSequencr) to the 2nd speaker of your stereo-pair.
If you search for devices again with your stereo-pair (on the devices screen pull down the table) you will see that SonoSequencr also only shows one speaker of your pair. You should only send commands to the "master" of your stereo-pair. The "master" is the device you select on the top (left speaker) when you create the sequence. Your new stereo-pair also gets his name from the master device.

I know this is a bit complicated and you have to think about what you want to do but it´t the fastest way to create a stereo-pair... and also without pressing any button on your device...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I would be surprised if it did. While the Sonos controller only sees one room after this pairing is done, the SonoSequencr app still clearly identifies the devices separately (while it only identifies my existing bonded surround sound setup strictly as "Playbar")... and like I mentioned, I would be surprised if this pairing lasted through a reboot.

Yes, but you should not send any commands (with SonoSequencr) to the 2nd speaker of your stereo-pair.
If you search for devices again with your stereo-pair (on the devices screen pull down the table) you will see that SonoSequencr also only shows one speaker of your pair. You should only send commands to the "master" of your stereo-pair. The "master" is the device you select on the top (left speaker) when you create the sequence. Your new stereo-pair also gets his name from the master device.

I know this is a bit complicated and you have to think about what you want to do but it´t the fastest way to create a stereo-pair... and also without pressing any button on your device...

Yeah, I know about not sending commands to the "slave"... I wasn't aware that I would need to do a manual rescan of devices to see just one after creating the pair. Good to know. Possible improvement to the app... update the records internally so if you create a pair, you stop tracking the "slave" as a separate device... or automatically initiate the rescan to reflect the change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh, and to remove the one doubt I had... the pairing did survive a reboot. I pulled the plug on both players, plugged them back in, and the pair came back as a pair.

I'm happy now. :)

Obviously I'd still like this to be official... but in lieu of that, this is a great unofficial solution to the issue of creating a stereo pair with the Play:1 and Sonos One.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
No chance of this working to add a Sonos One (along with a Play:1) into a 5.1 setup?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The SonoSequencr app doesn't appear to allow "building" a 5.1 setup, only a stereo pair. Whether that's something that could be added, only the developer of that app would know.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
No chance of this working to add a Sonos One (along with a Play:1) into a 5.1 setup?

Not yet but i just made a quick test and i was able to configure a Sonos One and a Play:1 as surround speakers to my Playbar. I just think about how to make this available in my app...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You manage that Marcus and I can see a lot more £1.99’s hitting your bank account ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Oh... just wanted to note... it was highly recommended to me that in creating the non-standard stereo pair, the Sonos One should be selected as the left (primary) speaker in the pair. I had already done this in my setup, but wanted to share the knowledge.

Not yet but i just made a quick test and i was able to configure a Sonos One and a Play:1 as surround speakers to my Playbar. I just think about how to make this available in my app...

Please figure out a way. I'd buy the app in a heartbeat if it could do that
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Please figure out a way. I'd buy the app in a heartbeat if it could do that

I’m sure he’ll get it figured out, obviously a clever bloke to do what he has already with the stereo pair between the Play:1 and the Sonos One.
I will also wait for stereo pairing with Play1 before buying
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Markus - any further progress on this yet ?
Hi Guys good work. Just a plea to Sonos please, to add this functionality to stereo pair 1 and play 1s. Believe me it will increase sales (and help keep your loyal fanbase happy).
I would like an honest answer from Sonos about this whole deal soon. The CEO (who is awesome and responsive) has said to "stay tuned" regarding pairing a Sonos One with a Play:1. I'm tuned. But I did buy three Ones, in addition to all the Play:1s I own...not to mention a playbar, sub, and play 5s. And so I have one of the Ones languishing for the possibility of being mated as a stereo pair to a Play:1.

I see a Sonos rep by the name of Keith saying these two products are "very different". Sure, I get that. But they are also sonically very similar.

What I want is, in the time frame of which I can actually return the 3rd Play One, can you let me know definitively if they are going to be pairable? If not, I need to return that 3rd Play One. Its totally ok by me if its not going to happen. I mean, I'm not happy about it because I would rather not return the product. I love the speakers. But I need to know if I should "stay tuned" or should I return and "tune out".

Thanks! And I would like the answer from Sonos, not from some fan. I'm a fan myself, just not of this particular situation.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I would like an honest answer from Sonos about this whole deal soon. The CEO (who is awesome and responsive) has said to "stay tuned" regarding pairing a Sonos One with a Play:1. I'm tuned. But I did buy three Ones, in addition to all the Play:1s I own...not to mention a playbar, sub, and play 5s. And so I have one of the Ones languishing for the possibility of being mated as a stereo pair to a Play:1.

I see a Sonos rep by the name of Keith saying these two products are "very different". Sure, I get that. But they are also sonically very similar.

What I want is, in the time frame of which I can actually return the 3rd Play One, can you let me know definitively if they are going to be pairable? If not, I need to return that 3rd Play One. Its totally ok by me if its not going to happen. I mean, I'm not happy about it because I would rather not return the product. I love the speakers. But I need to know if I should "stay tuned" or should I return and "tune out".

Thanks! And I would like the answer from Sonos, not from some fan. I'm a fan myself, just not of this particular situation.

Is it a stereo pair you’re wanting to make, or bond it with a surround sound setup? I only ask as if you’re looking to make a stereo pair with another Play 1, it’s possible to do this with the app mentioned earlier in the post.

I’m just waiting to see if the app can be made to make it possible to bond it with a 5.1 setup with a Play 1.
Hi ChrisC29...yeah I was just looking for a stereo pair, not as part of surround sound. I did pay the $2.99 for the iOS app SonoSeqencr and it did work to make the One and the Play:1 a stereo pair.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Oh well, good to see you got sorted out. Not ideal to have to use 3rd party apps for something Sonos should really support but at least it’s working for you. Hopefully something can be sorted to allow it to be bonded to a surround setup.
Yeah, I'm dissapointed too with the lack of support in pairing with the old Play:1. I was up for preordering until I saw that it couldn't be used as a surround with the older player. My plan was to replace one of the surrounds in my setup with one and use that for the voice control, then I could use the Play:1 I had somewhere else. Pointless replacing them both as only need one of them in the room, and the spare player would end up in the bedroom, so pointless having the voice control upstairs for me to have to walk upstairs to ask it to change the music.

Totally agree. This was also my intention....
I don’t know if this is the same topic or different one, but here goes. I have a stereo pair of play:1s. I want to add a third, because the room that they are in is very elongated. I want the third play:1 to play only the left channel. can I do that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don’t know if this is the same topic or different one, but here goes. I have a stereo pair of play:1s. I want to add a third, because the room that they are in is very elongated. I want the third play:1 to play only the left channel. can I do that?
Nope, not related. This topic is about the Sonos One (the new Alexa-enabled speaker) and creating a stereo pair (or rear surround speakers) with the combination of a Sonos One and Play:1.

What you want is not possible. A stereo pair can only have two speakers, a left and a right. A third speaker could be grouped in, but it won't exclusively be a left or right speaker.
Badge
No, at least not yet, this is a reply to the same question by Ryan. 'S
"The Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One, for the purposes of creating a stereo pair or a surround sound setup. You can use a Sonos One in a household with any and all Sonos players. The Sonos One can issue commands to them all, and control what's playing. But if you're looking to made a stereo pair or surround sound setup, you'll need two Sonos Ones.

I'll make sure to pass on to the team that you're interested in seeing this at some point in the future, but there aren't any plans to share at this time that this might happen."

+1 for wanting to pair a One with a Play:1
Wish i'd know this - tried a 'One' and loved it - then bought three more to put Alexa in each room that has a pair or surround setup and wish i hadnt!!!! Sonos please fix this issue - as Sonos owners we have come to assume everything will work seamlessly. 😠
This is so shocking, and beyond disappointing. Returning the new Sonos one, what a joke.
But I think the main question of whether granting the ability to pair them or not comes down to two things:
1. is the sound quality that much different
2. Does sonos want to make us buy new units

I sure hope it’s 1), since that would make some sense. I would’t want to pair the two for stereo if the SQ is messed with.
I understand Sonos would want to be improving things to remain competitive so I get why the internals of the two may differ, however, IMO it’s a bit of a shame since who needs two Alexas in the same room just to have stereo?
I guess I need to do a bunch more experimenting to decide if I want to stick with Sonos. Wouldn’t want to buy a pair of Ones only to find later I want out. S6