Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No one has mentioned that pairing via the Sonosequencer app behaves any different then if Sonos app did it. Sonosequencer has a lot of cool things you can do.

Sonos may allow the pairing in the future - but I wouldn't wait being its a legitimate work around.
Why do people keep complaining when it can be done - just use the Sonosequencer app. It's not that big a deal. We are talking about $1.99 and access one time to an ios device. It takes more time to complain about the pairing here then to just pair them via the work around.

People are going out and spending £180 on a speaker that can't sync with its own speakers out of the box. Thats what SONOS is all about or was all about at least Its ridiculous. It's like shipping an Apple Mac without a mouse and keyboard

People are going out and spending £180 on a speaker that can't sync with its own speakers out of the box. Thats what SONOS is all about or was all about at least Its ridiculous. It's like shipping an Apple Mac without a mouse and keyboard

Once again . . . THE SONOS ONE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, WITHOUT QUESTION, IS ABLE TO SYNC WITH ALL OTHER SONOS SPEAKERS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

The thing people are complaining about is that it cannot be used as a stereo pair with the Play:1, a similar looking, but internally different model from the Sonos One. This is no different than any other Sonos speaker; there are no other models that can be stereo paired with anything but the same model.

You have misrepresented this issue before, and have been corrected. If you need it explained in more detail, feel free to ask. However, please refrain from stating it is impossible to sync the Sonos One with other Sonos speakers, for it is simply untrue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It groups just fine with all Sonos speakers. People can be stubborn about it but if you want to Stereo Pair it you can just do it with Sonosequencer vs. waiting.

It pairs just fine with other Sonos One speakers. Sonos One is a Play:1 Gen2 with Alexa. Just like you can't Pair a Play:5 gen1 and Play:5 gen2 (of course you can with Sonosequencer as well).

Stereo pairing has always been for like speakers because they are the only 2 that sound alike.. Just because the Sonos One looks like a Play:1 Tone (it actually doesn't look like the standard Play:1 in my eyes). never meant you could pair the 2 as a stereo pair.

They do not have the same internals as a Play:1. They aren't meant to be paired. They do not sound exactly the same (but yes some may say close enough). I personally wouldn't pair them for those reasons and the fact they don't look the same (actually I do have a Play:1 TONE so it would look correct paired to that speaker only).

Except the fact and if you need to pair for some reason then use Sonosequencer. Its your choice. Acting as though this is a flaw is far fetched.
It groups just fine with all Sonos speakers. People can be stubborn about it but if you want to Stereo Pair it you can just do it with Sonosequencer vs. waiting.

It pairs just fine with other Sonos One speakers. Sonos One is a Play:1 Gen2 with Alexa. Just like you can't Pair a Play:5 gen1 and Play:5 gen2 (of course you can with Sonosequencer as well).

Stereo pairing has always been for like speakers because they are the only 2 that sound alike.. Just because the Sonos One looks like a Play:1 Tone (it actually doesn't look like the standard Play:1 in my eyes). never meant you could pair the 2 as a stereo pair.

They do not have the same internals as a Play:1. They aren't meant to be paired. They do not sound exactly the same (but yes some may say close enough). I personally wouldn't pair them for those reasons and the fact they don't look the same (actually I do have a Play:1 TONE so it would look correct paired to that speaker only).

Except the fact and if you need to pair for some reason then use Sonosequencer. Its your choice. Acting as though this is a flaw is far fetched.

This is what I am speaking about @jgatie

not

Once again . . . THE SONOS ONE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, WITHOUT QUESTION, IS ABLE TO SYNC WITH ALL OTHER SONOS SPEAKERS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

The thing people are complaining about is that it cannot be used as a stereo pair with the Play:1, a similar looking, but internally different model from the Sonos One. This is no different than any other Sonos speaker; there are no other models that can be stereo paired with anything but the same model.

You have misrepresented this issue before, and have been corrected. If you need it explained in more detail, feel free to ask. However, please refrain from stating it is impossible to sync the Sonos One with other Sonos speakers, for it is simply untrue.
Then maybe you should say "People are going out and spending £180 on a speaker that can't stereo pair with different models, which is no different than every other model they offer" instead of "People are going out and spending £180 on a speaker that can't sync with its own speakers out of the box."

Of course, that doesn't have quite the impact.
Would love to see ONE and Play:1 stereo pair. Was shocked when I could not pair them. I bought one per room and can’t use. Why would I need 2 echos next to each other?
Is their an Android equivalent of Sonosequencer, so that l can test pairing between a One and a 1?
Add me to the list of Sonos punters who would like to stereo pair a Sonos 1 with a Play 1. I’ve grouped them instead and I don’t notice any obvious sonic difference so would it would be nice to create a stereo pair. Not the end of the world but more convenient.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would not wait on it being officially allowed. You can do it with sonosequencr very easily so I would recommend you do that and not plan on it being officially implemented. Sonosequencr method works fine.
Badge
i can't see why or how this could not be done in the near future
I am surprised can't pair Sonos One with Play:1... Sonos always seems to be ahead of the curve and not let down on expectations... first time for me. Hope this is resolved soon.
At this time, you still cannot pair the two and it looks to be that way in the future. The SonoSequencer app will pair the two, and is available for iOS. This is not an officially supported app, but it does work.
SonoSequencer can create a stereo pair, but it cannot create a 5.1 setup (PlayBar+Play:1+One or PlayBase+Play:1+One). So, it has no use for me. this feature was promised a month or two ago, but never released.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos never promised any such thing.

Sonos said they are sonically different but they would check to see if engineers thought it would be good idea. That is all they said. I expect their engineers had reasons for not thinking it was a good idea.
Not Sonos, Sonosequencer. The developer said that on this thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t know that there has been an new sequence release. I had another item he said he is going to try and get out in future app. I think he is a one man show - may take a while.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe he was looking for someone with a Playbase to help test the 5.1 functionality as he only has a Playbar. I don't know if he ever found someone willing to help test. And as Chris said, I also think he's a one man show. This is likely a side project for him.
Userlevel 1
I'd also like this feature.
Pairing the two speakers rather than grouping. I've recently purchased the Sonos One, two speaker deal thinking that they would pair with any other Sonos speaker to find they don't. WHY, OH WHY, would I wish to pair two Alexa capable speakers together rather than have them in separate rooms. I have several Play One speakers which I would like to pair with the Sonos One's allowing stero in different rooms.

SONOS SORT THIS OUT - I'm very cross about this.
Add me to the list of people that want to pair a play 1 with a Sonos one for stereo sound
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
again - just do it now with sonosequencr. It is doubtful Sonos will ever do it in app as they have said they consider them sonically different.
Yup add me too, just bought a pair of one’s hoping to set up stereo pairs with legacy 1’s (quite a similar name, never occurred to me that they wouldn’t be compatible), so feeling a bit mugged off! Reminds me of the bad old days of proprietary Sony, can’t believe it is anything to do with tech but just cynical marketing. With 7 speakers now I feel i’ve Made a proper investment and would like to be able to use them more sensibly 😞
I'm disgusted with this. I've bought quite heavily into the Sonos chain:4 (paired LR) Play:1s, 2 Play 5s. Recently bought a Playbase and 2 Ones for a surround system with the intention of using my existing Play:1s for surround speakers and using the new Ones as stereo pairs with my old Play:1s. It seems pretty shit of Sonos not to enable this
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I mean please ... answer me why doing it with Sonoseqencr is so bad ???? If it irritates anyone that much why not just fix it.