End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Goodbye sonos hello Bose 

also hang that CEO

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

They have 9m devices (not customers)

37% of sales come from existing customers. My guess is that those customers enthuse about the product and drive more sales.

I am surprised the share price has not tanked. 

Yeah and god only knows how many of the 63% of new costumer sales is from word of mouth from the 37%

I bet that if they dont reverse this decision, in 10 years they will be in the same business school books as Nokia and others on “how NOT to do”.

It’ll be interesting to see the Sonos Net Promoter score in the coming months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just checked the “yellow pages” of Denmark (dba.dk)

15 Play 5’s has been put on sale there in the period from the email and to today.

So 15 potential sales to 15 potential buyers that may be unaware that the unit’s are obsolete in 4 months.

Just in the last days.

Atleast one of them is a guy that states that he is selling all of his equipment (2 Play 5, 1 play 3 and a connect amp) because he is going to buy a different system.

I would really hate to be the poor guy,buying that setup, only to find that the Play 3 is the only one that will be upgraded.

But on the other hand, i fully understand a guy that needs to replace 3 of 4 units at a high cost, to just cut his losses and try to get rid of the paperweights before they die completely.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

50 pages...now they cut it off….

My main concern, and I apologize if it’s already been asked - how much longer until the sub and playbar are also killed off?  I believe they’ve been out since 2012, so can we expect them to disappear in 2022?

@macallan18, our commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. You can still purchase from us the same Sub and Playbar that were introduced a while back. And even if they do move to legacy at some point in the distance, they’ll continue working as they currently do, but without software updates. Even if software requirements move beyond their hardware capabilites, they’ll keep on playing your TV input until the hardware breaks.

Ryan - can you give any indication regarding which of the main streaming services Sonos has the most favorable working relationship with, e.g. those that are least likely to be affected or whose development cycles are most (oddly) the *slowest*?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My main concern, and I apologize if it’s already been asked - how much longer until the sub and playbar are also killed off?  I believe they’ve been out since 2012, so can we expect them to disappear in 2022?

@macallan18, our commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. You can still purchase from us the same Sub and Playbar that were introduced a while back. And even if they do move to legacy at some point in the distance, they’ll continue working as they currently do, but without software updates. Even if software requirements move beyond their hardware capabilites, they’ll keep on playing your TV input until the hardware breaks.

Ryan: you only started to sell the new Amp 2 years ago. While some of the internals may have changed over time (which was not transparent to customers) you were still selling the now legacy Amp (at least from a customer point of view) less than 5 years ago and clearly some of the commentors have purchased old inventories in that time.

Will you start to have a Best Before date on new components? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

The flood has started… too late to sell your soon to be trashed Sonos stuff. Screen shot from Gumtree. I was actually there looking to buy some old amps to hook up an alternative streming device into and satrted seeing Sonos components, so I did a quick search for Sonos UK and there are tons of them, I bet few if any people mention their very limited lifespan. 

Beware - as someone noted, units can be deactivated to give the trade-in discount against new items, but continue to work for a few days potentially allowing the unscrupulous to sell them on.

Userlevel 3
Badge

the biggest kicker here is that if you wish to keep your system as a "whole home" single system - as it was sold, or also now also known as legacy - you won't be able to buy another Sonos product ever again.

At some point, factory bought Sonos units will have software on older than our "frozen" systems and any new hardware just won't work with the legacy stuff. No whole home audio system anymore...

Without any further information that is what these announcements are currently saying. 

Or in other words, if you have old kit that works and you don't want to upgrade it you're no longer welcome as a customer!

What utter b......s and abject marketing failure. Kind of reminds me about that Ratners jewelry chap and we all know what happened there!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My timeline of emotions with regard to Sonos:

2012 - Monday 20th January 2020 - Love.  I freakin’ loved all my kit, bought loads and sang from the roof tops how good it was. Me and Sonos up a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Tuesday 21st January  - Shock - I can’t believe the email I’ve just received. Wtf!

Wednesday 22nd January  - Mild depression.  After totaling how much money I’ve spent and how I am going to tell my wife.

Thursday 23rd January - HATE.  No reply from Mr Spence to my email and no company announcement that they are even considering rethinking.  You deserve to fail as a company IMHO.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sonos article in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jan/23/sonos-to-deny-software-updates-to-owners-of-older-equipment

A couple of striking extracts:

‘A freeze on software updates will initially have little effect, but over time it will eventually prevent the speakers from working at all, “particularly as partners evolve their technology”, Sonos said.’

and

‘Sonos did not reply to requests for comment from the Guardian.’

Userlevel 1

Here’s a better idea. Part of my system that Sonos has chosen to make obsolete and unsecured on my home network includes 3 Connects. Instead of spending $450 for each new Port Sonos would prefer me to buy, I can get an Amazon Echo Input for just $35 to connect wifi audio to my system. Looks pretty similar to me. At least there are options when we all kick Sonos to the curb!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Beware - as someone noted, units can be deactivated to give the trade-in discount against new items, but continue to work for a few days potentially allowing the unscrupulous to sell them on.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch any second-hand Sonos device that is subject to deprecation. You don’t know if an item’s been traded up and bricked, and in the case of the Connect and Connect:Amp, you probably won’t know if they’re the newer or older versions.

People are going to get burned by this until word gets around.

So, Sonos has not only ruined their new sales market, they’ve destroyed the used market, too.

Badge +3

They effectively End of Lifed my new Move  (I’ve had it 4 weeks)

I bought it to use as part of a larger Sonos network – now I have to either spend $4k+ to upgrade my other units, use the move as only a standalone player or accept that the Move can’t ever receive software upgrades.

Selling me a move 4 weeks ago without telling me about this is close to deceptive practice

I can return my Move for a refund – but they won’t reinstate the zp100 I ‘recycled’ when I bought the Move !

fraud

I’ve been loyal to Sonos for 15 year. Now my advice to everyone is avoid them like the plague !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I really hope that someone will find a way to revive all of those bricked Play 5’s so they can atleast be used as stand alone network players.

Sonos probably just erases the flash, so if there was a way to reflash them, they could probably be revived.

In any case this could be the start of a “LineageOS” for Sonos movement.

Userlevel 1

What a mistake! If you guys brick my hardware, I will never buy Sonos again And, I will tell all my friends the same.

I have 6 Play 5s and 2 Connects in my home that are listed. Plus, a Sound bar, Sub, and several Sonos Ones that are not. A huge investment and loyalty of product that will not be repeated if Sonos goes through with this. Additionally, I see a class action lawsuit in your future if you guys don't reverse course. You will lose that and any loyalty or future sales for people who do their research. I love my Sonos filled house. Best product on the market! But, move forward with this and stand by for the fallout. My business is sales and marketing and I will tell you that you have been steered in the wrong direction by your companies greed. Their is no other explanation. I voiced my opinion weeks ago when I recieved the first recycle offer from your sales group and roundly rejected with comment with no reciprocal response.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

the biggest kicker here is that if you wish to keep your system as a "whole home" single system - as it was sold, or also now also known as legacy - you won't be able to buy another Sonos product ever again.

And this may be where I’m at.  No more updates, no more upgrades, no more purchases.  Even if every streaming service fails, I’ll go back to Sonos circa 2005, using it to stream MP3s throughout the house, with the added benefit of 5.1 surround in a couple of TV rooms.

That said I still hope they reconsider and figure out a better solution.

Also want to add, for those who just want to be able to stream MP3s… Used Sonos legacy stuff has never been cheaper!  :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Pro tip.

QUICKLY put your Play 5 for sale on yellow pages or similar..Sell it fast and right before shipping it, you trade it in for the new play 5 gen 2 on the sonos website.

The new user has a working play 5 for a couple of weeks and then it dies, but you have another couple of hundred dollars to put toward the purchase of the new gen 2.

NOT saying that you should do this, but i BET that scrupulous people will do this.

Badge +3

Sonos just effectively End of Lifed my new Move  (I’ve had it 4 weeks)

I bought it to use as part of a larger Sonos network – now I have to either spend $4k+ to upgrade my other units, use the move as only a standalone player or accept that the Move can’t ever receive software upgrades.

Selling me a move 4 weeks ago without telling me about this is close to deceptive practice

I can return my Move for a refund – but they won’t reinstate the zp100 I ‘recycled’ when I bought the Move !

fraud

I’ve been loyal to Sonos for 15 year. Now my advice to everyone is avoid them like the plague !

Good bye  SONOS . 
this is the worst you ever made. 

...and i told my family, colleagues, friends to buy the Sonos Speakers , and now …. they hate Sonos and me too ….. fu… off.…

Over time I have probably put about 50000 SEK on sonos in my house, about half are now old ????  In fact, I do not understand how to treat their customers in this way.  I will run with the system as long as it works.  When it's over, it will never be sonos unless they do something radical. I had not bought anything at this time.

I am very disappointed at the decision to stop supporting older devices. I have 2 sonos one and a connect, so will be affected. I have to consider whether to upgrade the connect, with the uncertainty that in a couple of years they will make the ones obsolete too. So replacing my Sonos system every few years? This is not viable. I would maybe accept paying for software updates every once in a while, as it costs to maintain a secure system, e is nothing wrong with the hardware, and forcing users to replace it is unacceptable. I really enjoy my Sonos,  but this will 100% make me change to someone else. Please reconsider. You will loose more customers in the long run. Who will buy a system knowing it will be obsolete in a few years? And how can you still sell the connect on your website? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Before this really blew up I emailed the Sonos CEO, Patrick Spence, with a very short note letting him know that the community is mad and I feel disappointed.  I’m sure at this point his email inbox is inundated and he can’t respond to everyone.   He did respond to me and here is his response:

Thanks for being a customer & for taking the time to send me your feedback. I'm reading it all & looking at what we should do.

Sincerely,

Patrick

What a brilliant way to lose customers and so much for being “green”! That’s the end of us ever buying Sonos products again and the system is throughout our house. Poor show.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And how can you still sell the connect on your website? 

They upgraded the connect a few years ago, but did not change the name.

So the one they sell is the new model that is not discontinued, but the kicker is, that since they did not change it’s name from old to new, you never know what you get if you buy from some retailer.

Maybe they have some old stock they bought cheaply but never sold out, so when you go to buy one tomorrow, you might get the old one, and you would not be able to tell.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I really hope that someone will find a way to revive all of those bricked Play 5’s so they can atleast be used as stand alone network players.

Sonos probably just erases the flash, so if there was a way to reflash them, they could probably be revived.

In any case this could be the start of a “LineageOS” for Sonos movement.

think the serial number is just blocked on the server, when you agree to do the trade-in, so that it will never work on your, or anyone else’s, system.  The physical device is not affected, so it Sonos chose to reverse the block, they just have to toggle the server setting.  I am sure someone will correct me if I am deluded.