Philips Hue HDMI Sync Box

• 24 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi,

I will send the below text to Philips, but I would like to check with the Sonos users here to confirm if the below will work and how they have set up their configuration. Any comments based on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

MIBUK

Before I buy the Hue HDMI Sync box with the Hue gradient light strip for my TV, I have 2 questions. Hopefully, you can answer them.
“1. I have a Sony X950G TV which supports Dolby Atmos, HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. It’s connected to a Sonos Playbar which is connected to the TV via an optical cable. I have an Apple TV 4 4K, Nintendo Switch, a TIVO cable box and PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI.

2. The only change I plan to make in the near future, is to upgrade the Playbar to the Sonos Arc, which receives sound from the Sony TV’s HDMI eArc port.

Can you confirm that the above two setups will work with the Philips HDMI Sync box and gradient light strip in terms of video and sound? Also, the HDMI cables all work, but is there a minimum standard that Philip recommends?”

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Just be aware that whilst the sync box can pass through Dolby Vision or HDR10+, it can’t sync the lights when receiving these signals.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

This is the response I got from Philips support. This may help others.

“Some more clarification around installation topology: 

1) Sources > Sync Box> Receiver/Soundbar? > TV. (Arc bypass needs to be disabled) (Music mode always works) 
2) Sources > Receiver/Soundbar? > Sync Box> TV. (Arc bypass needs to be enabled) (Music mode might not work*) (Probably how most people will install)
3) Sources > Sync Box> TV > Receiver/Soundbar? (Arc bypass needs to be disabled) (Music mode always works)

HDMI cables

Hue Sync Box is compatible with HDMI 2.0 High-Speed cables, but not HDMI 2.1”

If you still have the Playbar with the optical connection, point 3 above would be the topology to follow.

With regards, to Dolby Vision & HDR10, they said it shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t like the word “should”. 

Options 1 and 2 will not work with the Arc. It has to be 3.  The only caution I would have is that even though your TV is eARC capable, there are reports of TVs that add a delay or do not process the audio signal properly.  In that case you may want to look at the HD Fury Arcana is alternative to bypass TV audio processing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Options 1 and 2 will not work with the Arc. It has to be 3.  The only caution I would have is that even though your TV is eARC capable, there are reports of TVs that add a delay or do not process the audio signal properly.  In that case you may want to look at the HD Fury Arcana is alternative to bypass TV audio processing.

Thanks for the heads up. I hoped I would be free of splitters/additional hardware to fix something that Sonos should really have thought about. They have the simple option to add delay via the app, but it’s not perfect. As great as Sonos can be, it always seems to miss a common function in the market.