Roam speaker not working

• 1 November 2023
  • 5 replies

I purchased my Roam speaker in March of 2022.   Now, Nov 1 of 2023 it is “dead” ish.   I had it on base charger with SONOS plug when not traveling.  I just took trip and ended up not using the speaker so it sat in my special little padded travel bag for about a week.  Now I get home and it doesnt work unless hard wired into socket…not base charging.  It holds absolutely NO charge /power.  Basically USELESS as a portable speaker.   I now spoke to customer support and they ran Dx and told be it was “defective”.  I am not happy.  This speaker is in excellent condition. I did NOT “break” it and SONOS clearly new of this issue  YEARS ago.  Why didnt you recall them?  Why didnt they alert  us etc.  There should be a class action lawsuit because SONOS new about this….. before I bought mine!  I noted someone saying there was a software update to 13.3 that help but clearly not.  This was not a “cheap’ line speaker bought at discount.  I want a new speaker oh, one thats “not defective”.  SONOS needs to step up to the plate.  Had I traveled months ago I probably would have still been under warrently but thats not really issue to me…. Again, SONOS had knowledge of these issues and did nothing.  Why didnt they offer an extended warrenty to us?  Why didnt they alert us to problem…. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Karen_29, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for the feedback and for letting us know your experience with the Sonos Roam and customer care.

I’ve had a look into your case on our end and can see that it was escalated and is being handled by our team with a positive outcome for you. If you have any further questions regarding your Sonos Roam’s replacement process or your case in general, please reply to the email that the last agent sent you to continue your case.

If you have any further questions or concerns outside of your case, please feel free to reach out on the community or to our support team, and I hope this helps!

Roams are the worst product I have ever purchased.Expensive junk that simply  are defective product.I bought two Roams to,add to my extensive Sonos system.

I have two homes with Sonos.

A few weeks ago,Sonos replaced one,the worst of two Roams.

The replacement works as advertised…..so far.

‘Last week the second dud,simply died on the pricy magnetic charger.

Called Sonos saying I  needed to use a higher amp USB charger.If that didn’t work call them back.

Today I did just that.But this time was offered 30% discount on the Sonos product of my choice if I returned the dud to Sonos.

I asked to speak with a decision maker at Sonos as this process like their Roam product is flawed.

‘The first Roam replaced was also “out of warranty “. BUT my documented service file told the picture.

I insist on another replacement.

should the Consumer Product Protection Agency intervene? There are multiple similar complaints well documented on the Sonos site.

Probably the majority taken down by Sonos.

I smell a recall. I asked for a supervisor to return my call and explain. Some much for the seemingly personal email form the CEO after the first Roam was replaced

I am sure the “moderator” will simply delete.And I would wager this is a recurring issue with this clearly defective product

Oddly, the ‘moderator’ not only did not delete the post, but thanked the OP for the feedback, even though it was not positive feedback. And researched the case, to make sure it was handled per Sonos policies. 

I await a response to my exact problem. Not deleted. Yes,resolved? Regardless of any warranty, policy Sonos has in place,I was sold a defective product.I contacted Sonos and they replaced one of the defective Roams. Short time later, the second won’t even turn on much less stay connected. I am then offered a 30% discount on my next Sonos purchase. Inconsistent and unacceptable.