OPTICAL TO HDMI CONVERTER

• 30 December 2023
  • 26 replies

Badge

SONOS PLAYBAR OPTICAL TO HDMI

Hi, i’ve tried researching and can’t seem to find my answer. i have a playbar and the optical pin on the tv has broken. Does the hdmi / optical converter cable work? i can’t get it to. Any other options ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Does your TV have an HDMI-ARC connection? An adapter for the connection was packed with PLAYBAR.

Badge

hi, it doesn’t look like it. Just 3 hdmi inputs. What’s my best solution? replace the tv for one with hdmi-arc, replace the playbar for a beam, or get the optical repaired?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Does your TV have an HDMI-ARC connection? An adapter for the connection was packed with PLAYBAR.

The Playbar never came with such an adapter. That started with the Beam Gen 1 as I recall.

That adapter converts optical to HDMI-ARC, not the other way around.

hi, it doesn’t look like it. Just 3 hdmi inputs. What’s my best solution? replace the tv for one with hdmi-arc, replace the playbar for a beam, or get the optical repaired?

Are there any other audio outputs on the TV? 

Badge

You might get an external HDMI switch with an optical out. You’d lose use of any ‘smart TV’ apps on the TV, though. It’d be a lot cheaper than replacing the TV.

Odd that the optical port broke. Usually it is only touched when inserting the cable.

Badge

is this what you mean? i’ve tried using this in the back of the playbar to the tv hdmi. changed the settings on the tv and still can’t get sound. thinking the playbar isn’t set up for this type of connection?

yeah, the optical port is directly in line with the tv wall bracket and it’s eventually broken… a real pain 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos optical to HDMI converter (https://www.sonos.com/shop/optical-audio-adapter) seems just that. And so will not work the other way round.

As @jgatie says, it’s optical to HDMI ARC, and not HDMI ARC to optical.

It doesn’t handle a standard HDMI signal at all, just HDMI ARC. 

Are there any outlets on the side? 

Badge

good question, i’ve just taken a photo and realised there is arc. can i use my optical hdmi converter in that port?

No, as has already been pointed out the adapter is from optical to HDMI-ARC. 

Is there a headphone outlet, or any other analog out? 

Badge

ok…😂… so what do i do! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

ok…😂… so what do i do! 

Time for a new TV, based on the backside of this oldie-but-goodie.

Badge

Is there a headphone outlet, or any other analog out? 

no …

Badge

ok…😂… so what do i do! 

Time for a new TV, based on the backside of this oldie-but-goodie.

it’s not even that old!! 

Just looking at your photo, the optical output seems to be working. If the optical connector is physically not locking into place, you may be able to fashion some sort of anchor scheme. One thought is to wrap some stiff wire around the optical plug to form a ‘T’, then anchor the ‘T’ to the back of the TV with tape. If you are careful, you could use sheet metal screws to anchor the ‘T’.

Badge

thanks for that, and funnily enough it’s exactly what i have just done…. the optical port is working, and i have tried to wedge it in place… seems ok 

@mj_kavanagh,

My thoughts are to perhaps use an audio extractor … see this link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOUTHSKY-Converter-Digital-Extractor-Adjustable-Black/dp/B087N4K7KK

Connect the extractor between the TV (HDMI-ARC) port and connect its optical out port to the Playbar and see if that resolves the problem. Note the extractor above is just one I selected at random and you may find cheaper/better alternatives online at Amazon and other similar outlets.

(edit: I see you’ve got it working now, but if the TV optical connection does cause issues, then perhaps the extractor might prove to be an alternative option a little further down the line).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Glad to hear you got it working. If it breaks again try something like this extender cable and a bit of hot-glue to lock it into the TV once it is properly aligned.

https://www.amazon.com/SOUNDFAM-Optical-Extension-Toslink-Gold-Plated/dp/B096SBJQW4/ref=sr_1_5

I don’t like this sort of optical cable because the thick, stiff cable, combined with the large connector, risks damage to the socket. While I generally don’t like cheap cables, I prefer the cheap, flexible optical cables with small connectors because the risk of socket damage is much lower. In terms of signal quality, the cheap cables should not be used for long runs. I begin to get nervous as the cheap cable length reaches about 15feet.

I have used more expensive, flexible cable for a 45 foot run to a PLAYBAR. This particular cable was flexible enough that I did not have major worries about socket damage, but the the plugs were larger than I liked.

Badge

thank all for the help. this is what i have ordered which should hopefully relieve the problem 

I’m a fan of 90 degree connectors. People don’t always have a lot of space behind all devices.