Answered

IOS 17 Volume with Apple TV Remote

• 20 September 2023
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi everyone,
Just updated to IOS 17 on Apple TV.
The Apple TV remote indicates on TV screen that volume is going up and down but this doesn't correlate to the actual sound going up and down.

When I switch from the Playbar sound output to the TV output, volume works as expected.

I conclude it must be an issue between Sonos and Apple TV IOS 17. TV remote works as expected with IOS 17 and sonos. It's basically the Apple TV remote on IOS 17 and connection with sonos that appears to be the issue.

Any advice team?

Thanks  

icon

Best answer by johnno17 23 September 2023, 04:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did this work on iOS 16? The ATV remote is telling the TV to turn the volume up, but (since the Playbar uses an optical connection) there’s no way you can realybthis command to the Playbar. This has not changed from iOS 16 to 17.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, worked perfectly on IOS 16

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try rebooting the Remote, Apple TV remotes often need that to go back to IR mode which is necessary for the Playbar.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes. I've rebooted remote. Also rebooted Apple TV 

I’m having the exact same issue 

I had to reset the connection between my remote and the Apple TV, once I did so in Apple TV’s software, the remote began to control the PLAYBAR again. I’m assuming the ‘reset’ turned it back on to using IR. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Bruce thanks for the suggestion.Followed all those steps but to no avail. As stated TV remote works perfectly with the Playbar to adjust volume it’s just the Apple Remote. It selects apps and navigates normally on the Apple TV and the volume indicator on the TV shows up and down on the TV display it just doesn't actually alter the volume on the Playbar. 
Any other suggestions or is it a wait see from Sonos to update software?
Thanks 

Odd…I’d definitely call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Exactly the same problem here with my playbase. Worked fine on tvos16. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. Talked to someone in Sonos who kindly gave me a solution

From memory..

Apple TV Settings….

Remotes and Devices. Volume Control Turn to off

Go back and select again

Learn New Device

Use your Apple Remote and follow instructions

Then Select Apple Remote

Exit Settings 

Go to Sonos App

Select Settings

Then Select your speaker

Scroll down to Remote Control Setup and select the Apple Remote which you just setup using the Apple TV settings, see above

You should be good to go now

Hopefully I’ve remembered the steps!!

I had the same problem once I upgraded to TV OS 17.0. Did all of the resets suggested above and discovered that  with the upgrade DolbyVision and AppleTV conflict to prohibit onscreen volume control. Go into Settings-Video-then select format and choose 4k HDR instead of Dolby Vision. My volume control was back on g TV he screen immediately. Not sure if Apple has narrowed it down yet or what a permanent fix might be, but this is working for me. 

If you see your tv volume bar adjust but not the sonos equipment, go to settings on AppleTv, remotes, select tv via IR. 

In Apple TV settings, go to Remotes and Devices > Volume Control and select TV via IR. This is the only thing that has worked for me.

I don’t have the « tv via IR «   Option in the list.

i only have OFF or HDMI

same issue,  since tvOS17 the volume buttons don’t work anymore with my playbar.  I used to be able to reboot the remote when this happened on tvOS16 but this fix is no longer working since the update.

Yes, the failure of the iPhone’s hardware buttons no longer controlling the Sonos is a result of a requirement made by Apple to Sonos. 

However, the Apple Remote just needs to be reset properly per the Sonos FAQ in order to make it work again. 

Your post is unclear which you’re speaking of. 

I have the exact same issue. It is definitely an issue as I have several apple tv setups in my home. Master tv was first, it auto updated. I updated my office tv, sure enough the remote no longer controls sonos bar. Remaining tv’s that haven’t been updated still work fine.

I tried OP’s suggestion from support, but at this step: 

Learn New Device

Use your Apple Remote and follow instructions

When I press and hold the + button, the progress bar does not move at all. So I can’t continue the steps.

Trying to have the Sono’s app update the remote control setup simply doesn’t work. It does not detect a signal while my SonyTV sound status rises on the screen when I press the volume +.

This is definitely an issue, and for me in my case, the steps provided to OP does not work on either affected TV’s.

SOLVED - For me at least.

Settings>Remotes and Devices>Volume Control>Changed it from Auto to TV via IR.

This worked for me.

Hi everyone,
The Apple TV remote indicates on TV screen that volume is going up and down but this doesn't correlate to the actual sound going up and down.

When I switch from the Playbar sound output to the TV output, volume works as expected.

I conclude it must be an issue between Sonos and Apple TV IOS 17. TV remote works as expected with IOS 17 and sonos. It's basically the Apple TV remote on IOS 17 and connection with sonos that appears to be the issue.

Any advice team?

Thanks  

I have the same problem!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi everyone,

Any advice team?

Thanks  

I have the same problem!

The Apple TV remote needs to be reconfigured to send IR (maybe also needs a reboot), and the Playbar needs to be configured to accept that IR (which has already been done if this used to work).

That’s what i did and it worked, thanks!

Unfortunately this and other suggestions are not working / have not worked since something changed roughly a week ago.  Troubleshooting is made more complex because everyone’s set-up is different!

I have an AppleTV 4k running OS17 with Siri Remote (has a mute button). 

**The Siri Remote itself seems to be the issue.

Not sure why, but the original remote controls volume! It doesn’t mute, which is dumb and annoying but anyway…**

Add’l details on my config if helpful for others: 

TV is a TCL with Google OS 11 (auto update is on but hasn’t updated?) and a Bluetooth remote - this seems to void a lot of IR-based suggestions. I can’t / couldn’t use the Sonos at all with this BT remote.

Playbar is old (2016?) and connected to TV via optical  

CEC, ARC are enabled.

Attempted to switch from DolbyVision per one comment, to no effect. Learning new remote is moot. Rebooting remote has no effect. 

Sound is running through the optical cable such that I can adjust volume via Sonos app. 

I’m guessing this is an Apple update conflict because the TV OS infrequently updates.

The same happened to me; I can’t control the volume when it’s setup as Tv speakers. I tried everything in this post (I can’t select Tv via IR in the remote option, just Auto or HDMI). I have the bar connected through optical and my tv doesn’t have arc or cec.

Anyone managed to solve this in this setup? 

I spent 35 min with Apple via chat support, and 45 with a level 2 support rep.

He / we landed on an unfortunate conclusion: OS 17 is the culprit and engineers need to make an update. 

I said I’d wait for a point release and if that failed, call back and give all my specs so that engineers could have more info. 

I had the exact same issue. Go into Apple TV settings. Remotes and Devices. Change remote settings to use TV via IR. Then go pair your remote in the Sonos app. 

Also make sure your Apple TV and TV software are all updated. 

I can try this again… but the TV uses a Bluetooth remote, so past attempts to pair haven’t proven useful.