Tips & Tricks

Understanding Dolby Atmos and Sonos Arc

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

One of the most exciting features of the new Sonos Arc is its ability to play Dolby Atmos sound. As with all relatively new technology, it’s understandable that you might feel a little confused when it comes to making sure you have a compatible setup for the feature. 

Head’s up—we’ll be talking about things like “codecs,” and “audio formats” below, but don’t panic. We’re here to make sure you understand why those things are important in setting up Arc to play Dolby Atmos. Rest assured that no matter what you’re listening to with Arc, it’s going to sound great. But to get the most out of Arc, it’s worth ensuring that your system is set up to deliver Dolby Atmos. And, as always, we’re here to help. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Dolby Atmos (as in “atmosphere”) is a format that allows sound to be heard three-dimensionally —including from above! (Arc achieves this by bouncing sound off of the ceiling). To facilitate this experience, Atmos information is contained within an audio wrapper (known as a codec), which has metadata instructing the audio drivers how to direct the sound within your space. 

Arc-compatible codecs that contain Dolby Atmos include Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby MAT. Most streaming services that have Atmos content use Dolby Digital Plus, while Blu-rays usually use Dolby TrueHD or Dolby MAT. 

To get Dolby Atmos sound from Sonos Arc, you need to address the following:

1. Connections. Sonos Arc needs to be connected to your TV with an HDMI cord (one is provided with Arc) via an ARC or eARC port (eARC is required for Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT).

2. Compatibility. Every device that ‘touches’ the audio (e.g. Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Fire TV) needs to be able to pass Atmos on to the next in line—from the source of the content to Sonos Arc. For Blu-ray, the individual discs need to have Atmos content and the player needs to be capable of sending Atmos as well.

3. Apps. Your app (e.g. Netflix, Disney+) needs to be capable of playing Atmos content via your particular TV. 

4. Content. Your content needs to have Atmos audio in an Arc-supported codec: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby MAT. 

Some things to note:

• Not every episode of every show may have Atmos, even if the streaming service supports Atmos.

• A device (such as your TV or a streaming box like the Apple TV) may support Atmos, but not for all apps running on it. 

• Some devices may not pass Dolby Atmos by default without making some adjustments to audio settings.

We’re happy to help answer questions, but in some cases you may need to contact the manufacturer of certain devices to check compatibility.

When set up properly, your Now Playing screen in the Sonos app will display the Dolby Atmos logo.

If you have all of the above set up, but are still not getting Dolby Atmos sound, let us know what you’re experiencing in a new thread or join an existing one and we’ll try to help you address the problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Okay, I will just go along with the majority then, that the standalone Arc is 5.0.2 and the old Playbar, Beam etc; are 3.0. Thanks Danny.👍

Not really what I was going for, but ok.  I guess I would say that it might be time to stop looking at the number designation.  The Arc is going to give you a better experience than the playbar.  And it’s get’s better when you add rears and sub.  What designation it is at what stage really does matter, just what the experience is.

I think that expecially holds true as we are getting more Atmos contect, where it’s not so much about number of speakers as it the experience of getting the sound from the right place.

Okay, I will just go along with the majority then, that the standalone Arc is 5.0.2 and the old Playbar, Beam etc; are 3.0. Thanks Danny.👍

Not really what I was going for, but ok.

I just stated their formats as described in the arstechnica article... 

www.google.com.au/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/the-sonos-arc-is-the-long-awaited-playbar-update-with-dolby-atmos-support/%3Famp=1

Badge

I have an LG Projector with ARC. If I connect a Fire TV Cube I get Atmos from Disney Plus, Prime, Tidal, Netflix and Movies anywhere. Not from Appletv app that is not compatible.

If Instead of the FireTV I connect my 4K appletv, there is no immersive sound in options and I can’t get Atmos. I can in my LG TV but not in my projector. The AppleTV does not let me on settings tuen on Atmos.

What could be the reason? If Fire can do it, this is obviously a problem of the AppleTV device or codecs…

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, that’s pretty much what the whole thread about HDFury’s device here is all about. 

Will I need a splitter like Vertex/Vertex2 in addition to the new product called “ARCANA” to achieve this?

I have an LG Projector with ARC. If I connect a Fire TV Cube I get Atmos from Disney Plus, Prime, Tidal, Netflix and Movies anywhere. Not from Appletv app that is not compatible.

If Instead of the FireTV I connect my 4K appletv, there is no immersive sound in options and I can’t get Atmos. I can in my LG TV but not in my projector. The AppleTV does not let me on settings tuen on Atmos.

What could be the reason? If Fire can do it, this is obviously a problem of the AppleTV device or codecs…

Thanks

The reason is the ATV uses the multichannel LPCM codec and the Arc does not yet support that format, but sonos staff have said they may (will?)  release an update to support LPCM .. so it’s a case of changing the Apple TV sound-out format to Dolby Digital 5.1 until the Arc firmware is updated.   

One of the most exciting features of the new Sonos Arc is its ability to play Dolby Atmos sound. As with all relatively new technology, it’s understandable that you might feel a little confused when it comes to making sure you have a compatible setup for the feature. 

Head’s up—we’ll be talking about things like “codecs,” and “audio formats” below, but don’t panic. We’re here to make sure you understand why those things are important in setting up Arc to play Dolby Atmos. Rest assured that no matter what you’re listening to with Arc, it’s going to sound great. But to get the most out of Arc, it’s worth ensuring that your system is set up to deliver Dolby Atmos. And, as always, we’re here to help. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Dolby Atmos (as in “atmosphere”) is a format that allows sound to be heard three-dimensionally —including from above! (Arc achieves this by bouncing sound off of the ceiling). To facilitate this experience, Atmos information is contained within an audio wrapper (known as a codec), which has metadata instructing the audio drivers how to direct the sound within your space. 

Arc-compatible codecs that contain Dolby Atmos include Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby MAT. Most streaming services that have Atmos content use Dolby Digital Plus, while Blu-rays usually use Dolby TrueHD or Dolby MAT. 

1. Connections. Sonos Arc needs to be connected to your TV with an HDMI cord (one is provided with Arc) via an ARC or eARC port (eARC is required for Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT).

2. Compatibility. Every device that ‘touches’ the audio (e.g. Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Fire TV) needs to be able to pass Atmos on to the next in line—from the source of the content to Sonos Arc. For Blu-ray, the individual discs need to have Atmos content and the player needs to be capable of sending Atmos as well.

3. Apps. Your app (e.g. Netflix, Disney+) needs to be capable of playing Atmos content via your particular TV. 

4. Content. Your content needs to have Atmos audio in an Arc-supported codec: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or Dolby MAT. 

Some things to note:

• Not every episode of every show may have Atmos, even if the streaming service supports Atmos.

• A device (such as your TV or a streaming box like the Apple TV) may support Atmos, but not for all apps running on it. 

• Some devices may not pass Dolby Atmos by default without making some adjustments to audio settings.

We’re happy to help answer questions, but in some cases you may need to contact the manufacturer of certain devices to check compatibility.

When set up properly, your Now Playing screen in the Sonos app will display the Dolby Atmos logo.

If you have all of the above set up, but are still not getting Dolby Atmos sound, let us know what you’re experiencing in a new thread or join an existing one and we’ll try to help you address the problem.

A fix for lack of earc.

report interest so the product gets off

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/3153792-hdfury-arcana-earc-adapter-sonos-arc-bose-700-soundbars-4.html#/topics/3153792?page=1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Arcana is officially entering production.  You can still pre-order now: https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI: If your TV does not have an eARC Arcana solves the problem.

Arcana is officially entering production.  You can still pre-order now: https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI: If your TV does not have an eARC Arcana solves the problem.

And lipsync problems! 👍

I have an older Sharp Aquos that is not eARC.  Would I be able to pick up an Atmos capable a/v receiver that handles all of the device inputs, sends the newer sound codecs to a SONOS Arc and the picture to the TV?  Apologies if an overly simple question - I’m new to all of this.  I’d like to pick up the Arc, but not if I can’t realize the full sound experience.  Thanks.

I have an older Sharp Aquos that is not eARC.  Would I be able to pick up an Atmos capable a/v receiver that handles all of the device inputs, sends the newer sound codecs to a SONOS Arc and the picture to the TV?  Apologies if an overly simple question - I’m new to all of this.  I’d like to pick up the Arc, but not if I can’t realize the full sound experience.  Thanks.

Please disregard...I think the eARC Arcana plus a switcher is the cheaper answer.

Badge +3

• Connections. Sonos Arc needs to be connected to your TV with an HDMI cord (one is provided with Arc) via an ARC or eARC port (eARC is required for Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT).

Is this true? So even though my TV doesn’t support eARC I can get Atmos using Sonos Arc connected via HDMI ARC?

Yes, if the source provides it in Dolby Digital Plus, which is carried by HDMI ARC.

Badge +3

Yes, if the source provides it in Dolby Digital Plus, which is carried by HDMI ARC.

Thanks!

What's the easiest way to text it? I have Netflix and Disney+ on my TV (Philips 7303 Android TV ~ 2018) and a PS4 but nothing I play displays the Atmos logo in the Now Playing section of the Sonos app.

System - About does show Dolby Digital Plus though.

Check the audio settings on anything that’s feeding the TV set, to be sure they’re sending a Dolby Digital Plus signal for the TV to pass through. Check the TV’s manual to be sure it can pass such a signal. I’ve got a Vizio that will play Dolby Digital Plus from smart apps, but not pass through a Dolby Digital Plus coming in on an HDMI input. 

Badge +3

Cheers. Seems like the built-in Netflix app on my TV doesn't support Atmos. 😭

Here is how I confirmed it working on my Vizio P Quantum X 75-G1 with the latest firmware as of this date:

Vudu Vizio app (Important wont work on any other app or external devices) : Avenger’s Endgame UHD (can be purchased on any service and played back on any other service with MyMovies integration).

Set television audio output to : BItstream out (not auto, auto did not work).

Confirmed Video and audio output with the Info button on the TV remote (says Audio Out Dolby Atmos)

Confirmed audio input on Sonos S2 app says Dolby Atmos on the TV playback.

Solution: HDFury Box for audio split from Atv or other devices. This wont do.

4K Arcana 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI