Sonos Surround Sound with Sony Bravia

• 17 August 2019
  • 14 replies

Hi all

Ive a Beam, and 2 Play 1s, connected via HDMI Arc to a Sony Bravia kd-55xd8577

I have connected the speakers correctly to the Beam, but cant figure out how to get surround sound working!

Do I need to connect the TV to the Beam via Optical cable?

I cant see anywhere in the Sony menus, to output Dolby

Any help really appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

OK, so this TV has ARC, and you've connected the Beam to the HDMI 1 port on the TV. When you look in the controller, the room name for the Beam shows (+LS +RS), correct?

The HDMI-ARC will set the TV's audio settings for you, which is probably why you can't see a setting. It's detected that there's a connected device, and will switch the TV's audio settings to the required settings. That's what HDMI-CEC/ARC does.

If all of this is true, then your issue is the signal being sent in to the TV set, It needs to be a Dolby Digital signal. If you're using a cable box or satellite box, you'll need to go in to the audio settings on it, and make sure that it's sending a Dolby Digital signal through to the TV. Then put on a recent movie, which will be much more likely to "tickle" the surrounds than a talking head show like the news.

For those playing along at home, here's the link to the manual: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4584/45846441M.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is it not outputting surround? Go to sonos app....settings...about my sonos and look to see if input shows stereo or 5.1
Thanks a million Bruce

All the above sounds correct, I have the Beam connected to the ARC HDMI slot, and my main box would be a Mag 254, so you are saying the input from that is the problem?

I also have a PS4 connected directly to the TV, so surely if I played a Blu Ray on that, I should hear some activivity on the surrounds?
Is it not outputting surround? Go to sonos app....settings...about my sonos and look to see if input shows stereo or 5.1

It says @stereo there at the moment alright
just new to all this by the way, so thanks !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your using PS4 - have you confirmed the PS4 is set to output dolby digital?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
as far as audio settings on tv

Home>settings>TV>sound
OK so PS4 is perfect - thanks!

Im trying to sort the Mag 254 now, but seems tricky to get that to output Dolby
You may need to get in touch with the cable company (assuming that a Mag 254 is a cable box?) Or find a manual online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
also on cable - some channels only broadcast stereo so you may need to be sure on a station that has DD 5.1
You may need to get in touch with the cable company (assuming that a Mag 254 is a cable box?) Or find a manual online.

Thanks again Bruce
You're most welcome.

I'd echo what Chris said....you really need to be sure that your test signal is a Dolby Digital program. A recent movie, Star Wars or Jurassic Park, for instance, on a movie channel.
For instance, last weekend I was watching a football game, which the signal actually was in Dolby Digital (which I confirmed by looking in the "About My Sonos System" in the controller), but the TV station was only sending a stereo signal through that Dolby Digital carrier. So I only heard left and right information. They weren't using the full Dolby Digital abilities.

Make sure it's a movie. For many years, my test case for surrounds was the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan, where the Americans are storming the beach. There's a lot of very active surround information in that particular scene. But any good action movie should provide such. Don't expect sports or news programs to carry a lot of surround. Some might, but many may not, you're safer off with a movie.
For instance, last weekend I was watching a football game, which the signal actually was in Dolby Digital (which I confirmed by looking in the "About My Sonos System" in the controller), but the TV station was only sending a stereo signal through that Dolby Digital carrier. So I only heard left and right information. They weren't using the full Dolby Digital abilities.

Make sure it's a movie. For many years, my test case for surrounds was the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan, where the Americans are storming the beach. There's a lot of very active surround information in that particular scene. But any good action movie should provide such. Don't expect sports or news programs to carry a lot of surround. Some might, but many may not, you're safer off with a movie.

Super thanks so much again for your help