Sonos Surround Sound with Sony Bravia

• 17 August 2019
  • 14 replies

Hi all

Ive a Beam, and 2 Play 1s, connected via HDMI Arc to a Sony Bravia kd-55xd8577

I have connected the speakers correctly to the Beam, but cant figure out how to get surround sound working!

Do I need to connect the TV to the Beam via Optical cable?

I cant see anywhere in the Sony menus, to output Dolby

Any help really appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

For instance, last weekend I was watching a football game, which the signal actually was in Dolby Digital (which I confirmed by looking in the "About My Sonos System" in the controller), but the TV station was only sending a stereo signal through that Dolby Digital carrier. So I only heard left and right information. They weren't using the full Dolby Digital abilities.

Make sure it's a movie. For many years, my test case for surrounds was the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan, where the Americans are storming the beach. There's a lot of very active surround information in that particular scene. But any good action movie should provide such. Don't expect sports or news programs to carry a lot of surround. Some might, but many may not, you're safer off with a movie.

Super thanks so much again for your help
For instance, last weekend I was watching a football game, which the signal actually was in Dolby Digital (which I confirmed by looking in the "About My Sonos System" in the controller), but the TV station was only sending a stereo signal through that Dolby Digital carrier. So I only heard left and right information. They weren't using the full Dolby Digital abilities.

Make sure it's a movie. For many years, my test case for surrounds was the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan, where the Americans are storming the beach. There's a lot of very active surround information in that particular scene. But any good action movie should provide such. Don't expect sports or news programs to carry a lot of surround. Some might, but many may not, you're safer off with a movie.
You're most welcome.

I'd echo what Chris said....you really need to be sure that your test signal is a Dolby Digital program. A recent movie, Star Wars or Jurassic Park, for instance, on a movie channel.
You may need to get in touch with the cable company (assuming that a Mag 254 is a cable box?) Or find a manual online.

Thanks again Bruce
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
also on cable - some channels only broadcast stereo so you may need to be sure on a station that has DD 5.1
You may need to get in touch with the cable company (assuming that a Mag 254 is a cable box?) Or find a manual online.
OK so PS4 is perfect - thanks!

Im trying to sort the Mag 254 now, but seems tricky to get that to output Dolby
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
as far as audio settings on tv

Home>settings>TV>sound
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your using PS4 - have you confirmed the PS4 is set to output dolby digital?
just new to all this by the way, so thanks !
Is it not outputting surround? Go to sonos app....settings...about my sonos and look to see if input shows stereo or 5.1

It says @stereo there at the moment alright
Thanks a million Bruce

All the above sounds correct, I have the Beam connected to the ARC HDMI slot, and my main box would be a Mag 254, so you are saying the input from that is the problem?

I also have a PS4 connected directly to the TV, so surely if I played a Blu Ray on that, I should hear some activivity on the surrounds?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is it not outputting surround? Go to sonos app....settings...about my sonos and look to see if input shows stereo or 5.1
OK, so this TV has ARC, and you've connected the Beam to the HDMI 1 port on the TV. When you look in the controller, the room name for the Beam shows (+LS +RS), correct?

The HDMI-ARC will set the TV's audio settings for you, which is probably why you can't see a setting. It's detected that there's a connected device, and will switch the TV's audio settings to the required settings. That's what HDMI-CEC/ARC does.

If all of this is true, then your issue is the signal being sent in to the TV set, It needs to be a Dolby Digital signal. If you're using a cable box or satellite box, you'll need to go in to the audio settings on it, and make sure that it's sending a Dolby Digital signal through to the TV. Then put on a recent movie, which will be much more likely to "tickle" the surrounds than a talking head show like the news.

For those playing along at home, here's the link to the manual: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4584/45846441M.pdf