Sonos Beam - Optical Input

• 23 December 2018
  • 14 replies

Badge
I'm about to order a sonos beam, and two Sonos Ones to use as rears.
I was also going to get a sonos connect so i could run my record player via my receiver into the connect.

But I've just read the Sonos Beam has an optical input. Could this be used instead if my record player had optical out? I suspect not but does anyone know for sure? Would be amazing if it could!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If the record player has an optical output (meaning it would also need an internal amplifier) then it should work. Of course the Beam has only and HDMI input but comes with and optical to HDMI adapter. So in theory you could hook the optical to HDMI adapter to the record player optical out. Then have an HDMI switch to plug both your TV HDMI (ARC) and the HDMI from the Record player. Or it may work HDMI input (never tried) to TV where tuning to that input on TV may play the HDMI from record player. In theory.
It's not an optical input, it's an optical adapter for the HDMI input. So you would lose the ability to connect the TV if you used it for the turntable.
Badge
Ok I didn't know it was an adapter. Thanks.
If I did get a HDMI switch and then connected both. (This sounds like a great solution and would save me having to have my receiver and the need for buying a sonos connect.) Would the HDMI from the TV work just as well. i.e would it decode and do all the same features as if the switch wasn't there?

This does sound like great news as until 10 minutes ago I didn't know this might be possible.
Any suggestions on the switch I'd need, to keep it all running smoothly.

Thanks,.
The output from your turntable/pre-amp is most likely only going to be analog... How are you planning to get a digital HDMI output from your turntable?

I'd imagine what you're proposing with a switch might work, but you're going to lose some functionality in terms of the Beam changing inputs automatically when the TV comes on, etc... But I think you should verify you turntable outputs before you get to far ahead.

I use a Connect for my turntable (with an external pre-amp). I've also recently hardwired almost all my speakers so I can play uncompressed audio without drop-outs. It worked wirelessly, but I had to let the system auto-adjust the audio compression to keep the bandwidth low.
Badge
Has anyone had any luck with a record player and Sonos Beam? I have recently purchased a Project Essential 2 Digital and I am struggling to get the audio to play successfully.

Initially the audio did not play with the Sonos HDMI lead so I switched to a regular HDMI lead and the sound comes through, however it comes through intermittently. It will play for a second then cut out for a second and so forth.

Sorry if I am spamming anyone, I have posted this another person’s question too.

Any info appreciated.

Tommy
Userlevel 7
Hi tommybang

You should start your own thread 😉. Question...how are you integrating your TT with a Beam? There has to be another Sonos component involved.:?
I agree with AjTrek1....not sure how you could connect any turntable, which generally has an RCA analog output, to the Beam, which has an HDMI-CEC (not HDMI!) input, or an optical to HDMI-CEC adapter. Start that new thread, I'm sure there's lots of discussion to be had.
Userlevel 7
I agree with AjTrek1....not sure how you could connect any turntable, which generally has an RCA analog output, to the Beam, which has an HDMI-CEC (not HDMI!) input, or an optical to HDMI-CEC adapter. Start that new thread, I'm sure there's lots of discussion to be had.

@Airgetlam

tommybang did start a new thread at the link: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/project-essential-digital-2-sonos-beam-optical-connection-6821005

After researching the TT s/he is trying to connect to a Beam via optical I find the manufacturer (if you can believe one reviewer) to boast absurd claims regarding connectivity as generic to all soundbars. IMO it's just a blatant case of irresponsible marketing .

Soundbars...Really?

Click this link for info :
https://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/essential-ii-digital/review

Call me old school but Soundbars IMO are not meant for a TT. They (TT) are meant to be connected to a AV receiver via analog or optical in this case. Frankly, who in their right mind would want to use a soundbar as opposed to stereo speakers...oh wait maybe some college kid in a dorm room!!!

Whoa...I need to shut up and breathe. Please excuse my rant. Cheers!
Badge
AJ’s thorough research is all correct. I do intend on expanding my Sonos set up and not just have the my TT playing from a Beam but through a complete system with Play 1s and maybe a sub.

I thought it would be a nice way of saving some money and cutting out what could have been an unnecessary product in the setup - a Connect.

I have in writing that the turntable is question works via optical with a Playbar. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be the same case for the Beam.
I have in writing that the turntable is question works via optical with a Playbar. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be the same case for the Beam.
I suspect the difference is that Beam requires a line-powered dongle to convert the optical into a spoofed HDMI source.
Badge
Thanks Ratty, would you mind providing a link with an example of what you mean?
Thanks Ratty, would you mind providing a link with an example of what you mean?
Didn't we already discuss that here? The Beam's optical adapter is designed for use with a TV.
Badge
I thought that you were suggesting an additional product (a line powered dongle) to assist with my problem. No worries if I have misunderstood you.
Ah, okay. No, I was referring to the optical/HDMI dongle supplied with the Beam.