Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1017 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Maybe there is a bad batch. Mine sounds great after 2-3 weeks daily use. Arc + surrounds + sub. Replaced a Beam 5.1 system, which replaced hardwired Denon AVR and NHT 5.1 speakers. 

The Arc-anchored Sonos system much better than the Beam, and while not getting as really loud as well as the AVR-based system the quality of sound is more or less on par for me. 

Atmos is effective in my usage  as well.

Did you find sound harsh on initial set up? I have the same set up as you which l bought a few days ago.l am wondering if indeed a running in period is required.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not sure why this problem is still not acknowledged by Sonos. That harsh treble is just present across all contents I played. 

Feels like I'm still using TV speaker but with better bass. I had occasions I was using TV speaker and I thought I was using the Arc.. that is how bad the sound is to me..

+1 same experience here....

Userlevel 2

This is what I predicted. People are trying to explain: like this is what is supposed to sound like and Sonos wil not fix this. 

all because Sonos is dead silent about this problem. Not give us an answer if it will be fixed/ tuned or not. 

I have a 100 day return period. But for me this way all the fun is gone.  Really thinking of returning the arc ASAP.  Then I can move on. Maybe try Bose soundbar 700.

I am thinking of doing the same. Enough with this nonsense. Will buy the Samsung Atmos soundbar

Has its own issues. Good luck!  

LOL, man I just can’t seem to catch a break! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not sure why this problem is still not acknowledged by Sonos. That harsh treble is just present across all contents I played. 

Feels like I'm still using TV speaker but with better bass. I had occasions I was using TV speaker and I thought I was using the Arc.. that is how bad the sound is to me..

Yup. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

This is what I predicted. People are trying to explain: like this is what is supposed to sound like and Sonos wil not fix this. 

all because Sonos is dead silent about this problem. Not give us an answer if it will be fixed/ tuned or not. 

I have a 100 day return period. But for me this way all the fun is gone.  Really thinking of returning the arc ASAP.  Then I can move on. Maybe try Bose soundbar 700.

I am thinking of doing the same. Enough with this nonsense. Will buy the Samsung Atmos soundbar

Has its own issues. Good luck!  

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just curious are most people, specifically those with sibilance and harsh treble using Trueplay? I have a surround setup with the Arc + Sub + Play 1’s and I find the default EQ to not be bright at all and in fact a little flat and boring. Definitely not anything I would consider bright. Turning on and using Trueplay however with my iPhone X, wife’s iPhone XS or 2017 iPad results in a very bright and harsh sound. All bass (sub is great) and a lot of bright high end and not a lot of midrange or overall warmth in the sound. Retuning with my wife’s very old iPad Mini (probably like a 2014 model or so) however resulted in much better sound that I’m happy with it. 

This doesn’t just apply to the Arc. Trueplay results in a brighter, different sound with my other Sonos speakers too so I retuned them all with the old iPad Mini. I think the Arc soundstage just amplifies it even more. So I think the device used for tuning makes a difference which I didn’t believe at first when I read it here until I found one that worked well. 

If people are finding the non Trueplay default EQ overly bright though, can’t say I have that issue.

Of course. We just spent $800+ so you better believe we’re exhausting every option to get it to sound right. 

Mine is going back to Sonos. I truly believe there is a bad batch of these out there. 

Oh I get it believe me. I retuned with 4 different devices after all so I’m exhausting all options as well. Overall, I’m happy now but wasn’t initially. With Trueplay off it sounds lifeless, with it on way too bright until I found the one iOS device that gave me a tuning I liked.

The 45 day return window is pretty solid thankfully if you’re not happy and gives people enough time to really test it out and maybe for Sonos to fix or update the tuning based on initial user feedback.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Maybe there is a bad batch. Mine sounds great after 2-3 weeks daily use. Arc + surrounds + sub. Replaced a Beam 5.1 system, which replaced hardwired Denon AVR and NHT 5.1 speakers. 

The Arc-anchored Sonos system much better than the Beam, and while not getting as really loud as well as the AVR-based system the quality of sound is more or less on par for me. 

Atmos is effective in my usage  as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I use trueplay. To my ears, brightness and harshness is there even without trueplay. It’s more pronounced with trueplay. I have Arc + sub + 2 sonos ones. 
I tried trueplay with various devices: iphone 11 pro, ipad air latest gen, iphone 6s. The latter was the best, but still too harsh.

Exactly same setup and experience as me 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I use trueplay. To my ears, brightness and harshness is there even without trueplay. It’s more pronounced with trueplay. I have Arc + sub + 2 sonos ones. 
I tried trueplay with various devices: iphone 11 pro, ipad air latest gen, iphone 6s. The latter was the best, but still too harsh.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just curious are most people, specifically those with sibilance and harsh treble using Trueplay? I have a surround setup with the Arc + Sub + Play 1’s and I find the default EQ to not be bright at all and in fact a little flat and boring. Definitely not anything I would consider bright. Turning on and using Trueplay however with my iPhone X, wife’s iPhone XS or 2017 iPad results in a very bright and harsh sound. All bass (sub is great) and a lot of bright high end and not a lot of midrange or overall warmth in the sound. Retuning with my wife’s very old iPad Mini (probably like a 2014 model or so) however resulted in much better sound that I’m happy with it. 

This doesn’t just apply to the Arc. Trueplay results in a brighter, different sound with my other Sonos speakers too so I retuned them all with the old iPad Mini. I think the Arc soundstage just amplifies it even more. So I think the device used for tuning makes a difference which I didn’t believe at first when I read it here until I found one that worked well. 

If people are finding the non Trueplay default EQ overly bright though, can’t say I have that issue.

Of course. We just spent $800+ so you better believe we’re exhausting every option to get it to sound right. 

Mine is going back to Sonos. I truly believe there is a bad batch of these out there. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have been a Sonos fan for years, own all there products. Always bragged to all my friends and family how it just works and sounds good consistently. However, the arc is the first time I have been let down. I have the arc hooked up to a new Sony a9g through earc, with a sub and two s1 speakers. While the arc has plenty of volume, it’s harsh not typical traditional good sounding Sonos. I will be returning tomorrow.

Userlevel 3
Badge

That’s not what I think.  I think there is an issue, but I think it’s a complex one.  Mainly because I have some sound experience and it sounds great to me…. but rtings.com clearly did a comprehensive test and found issues.  Many other experienced reviewers are completely satisfied with the sound, while others here are clearly having a difficult time.

I hope those of you with an issue find an answer - I can imagine how frustrating it would be to hear constant exaggerated sibilance.

Maybe this kind of experience will prompt Sonos to break their “simple” philosophy and provide a band equalizer.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Userlevel 3
Badge

Anyone do any AB testing with sources? I just went back and forth between my iPhone8s and MacBook Pro, both via Airplay2 and get totally different sound profiles, specifically on the high end. The playback from my MacBook Pro was overly bright and exaggerated on the high end. 

Interesting.  Did you check whether it sounds the same on your iPhone between AirPlay2 and Sonos app?  Also, whether the EQ is turned on in AirPlay2 on the iPhone or the Mac?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Anyone do any AB testing with sources? I just went back and forth between my iPhone8s and MacBook Pro, both via Airplay2 and get totally different sound profiles, specifically on the high end. The playback from my MacBook Pro was overly bright and exaggerated on the high end. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

I am very hopeful you are wrong, and that the sound signature will be updated and fixed. To my ears, the Arc is just too harsh, with ‘S’ sounds too pronounced. Right now, I prefer to have faith. Let’s keep this thread active to make sure it gets the proper attention. Arc should have enough hardware to sound much better.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I spoke to Sonos support who basically said the diagnostic does not show any issue and when I am home I can record a video for them. Not sure what my iPhone microphone will offer them that my ears have not already told them. 

I asked if they can run my serial number to see if they have any known issues with the batch. They told me they have no know issues with the Arc so running the serial would not do anything. So that threw me though a loop and I queried without much luck. 

Bit irritated! 

I am guessing that is because the Arc is likely tuned as Sonos believes it should be. This isn’t like the bass issue - the Arc was purposefully tuned this way. They don’t view anything wrong with it. My guess is people are just going to have to return their devices if they don’t like the sound (which I plan to do).

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So I spoke to Sonos support who basically said the diagnostic does not show any issue and when I am home I can record a video for them. Not sure what my iPhone microphone will offer them that my ears have not already told them. 

I asked if they can run my serial number to see if they have any known issues with the batch. They told me they have no know issues with the Arc so running the serial would not do anything. So that threw me though a loop and I queried without much luck. 

Bit irritated! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Just been on technical chat in regards to this issue, they just offered to warranty replace mine. declined and said would rather wait for an update for now. Will give it 3 weeks to see if Sonos come up with anything, then think about warranty replacing.

Today I got he information that my order has been cancelled. I called the company and I asked why they won’t deliver my Sonos Arc and they just told there has been problems to get any more of them. They will continue to sell all other Sonos products but at this point they decided to remove Arc from all their local shops and entire web shop.  (I suppose they are the biggest dealer over here). 

Hopefully this is not a recall :-(

I will continue with my Beam and I will continue to read this support forum because I will get the Arc when they have got things fixed!

Strange.  I can see that the Arc is still listed on the Sonos’ site (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc.html). Backordered and shipping on August 14.Sub is backordered and shipping on August 21 (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sub.html).

The order was from a big dealer, not directly from Sonos. Probably they will start to sell them  as soon as they can get them. 

Badge

I’m getting migraines every single night since moving to the Arc. Sonos please provide an update, I really love the Arc but if this cannot be fixed, I need to return my Arc/ Sub/ 2x ones purchase because it’s just unbearable. 

the dialogue sound way too high and tingy and my ears are hurting after 30-45 minutes alone. Every night I’ve gone to bed with sore ears and a headache since moving to the arc soul based on how the dialogue sounds. Tuneplayed, eq treble -8 and all.