Answered

SONOS ARC cannot switch from music back to TV sound

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’m really enjoying the SONOS Arc but last night encountered a frustrating problem that I could not resolve. On hearing a song I liked during the closing credits of a TV show I’d been watching, I found the song on Spotify and played it on the Arc, the TV was still ON but without the audio. Once the song from Spotify had finished I wanted to resume watching the TV but could not get TV audio back on the Arc. I tried adjusting the TV volume level, checked that Auto Play was switched on in the Arc settings, turned the TV off and then on again but nothing worked. I have the Arc connected to an LG OLED65C7V TV via the HDMI (ARC) output. I’m sure there must be a simple away of switching between TV and Music On the Arc but, whatever it is, I either couldn’t find it or it’s not working for me ! Any helpful advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

icon

Best answer by John B 14 June 2020, 13:45

View original

29 replies

Autoplay should have worked when you turned the TV back on. But failing that, just tap the audio source button (the musical notes at bottom of screen) and select TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have the same issue with the arc, same TV, oddly with the beam, Alexa ‘switch to TV’ would work, no longer. Also, by musical notes on bottom of screen, I presume this is on the Sonos App?, I don't see a tv option anywhere under this tab?

I have the same issue with the arc, same TV, oddly with the beam, Alexa ‘switch to TV’ would work, no longer. Also, by musical notes on bottom of screen, I presume this is on the Sonos App?, I don't see a tv option anywhere under this tab?

Have you got the Arc / Beam selected as the room when you are looking?  It isn’t going to be offered as an option on a Sonos One for example.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Autoplay should have worked when you turned the TV back on. But failing that, just tap the audio source button (the musical notes at bottom of screen) and select TV.

Thank you for the response John B. The TV was still switched ON when I listened to the track from Spotify but I couldn’t switch back to TV audio once the track had finished. I also tried turning the TV OFF/ON bit that didn’t work either.

Thank you for the response. I’ve not been able to get Alexa to work with my LG OLED65C7V and had read that I needed WEBOS4.0 instead of the WEBOS3.5 that is installed on my TV for voice control.

Did you try what I suggested.for getting back to TV audio in the Sonos app?

I imagine the WebOS thing is to do with voice control of the TV rather than Alexa on Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Did you try what I suggested.for getting back to TV audio in the Sonos app?

I imagine the WebOS thing is to do with voice control of the TV rather than Alexa on Sonos.

Yes, I did try that and it works so thank you. The Auto Play works as well although intermittently at times as last night I turned the TV on and there was no sound at all and I couldn’t get any sound using the Audio source button either, so had to resort to turning the TV off and then back on again to get sound ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Another thing you can try, if you’re playing TV, pressing volume up on the TV remote when no music is playing from the Arc should have it change to the TV input and start playing the TV audio. But you’d need to have the music stopped.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue with my Samsung Q9FN, connected via HDMI/ARC. Of course, TV Autoplay is on. Never had this with a Playbar connected via optical.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Dave_O.

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear about it, if I may ask, have you gone through on the suggested fixes above? What are the steps you have tried?

If you are still experiencing the issue, please start by submitting a diagnostic report from your Sonos app while this occurs and post the confirmation number here so that I can take a look.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out. We are here to help.

Badge

I have the same issue. If the Arc has been used to play music it stops responding to the TV being turned on. I can switch to TV sound manually, but once I turn off the TV and back on again later the same thing repeats itself. The TV no longer recognise that a sound system is attached, but I can manually tell it that it to switch, and then the Arc will turn on, but it just doesn’t remember it. Tried it on both a Sony AF9 and a Samsung Q90T (both have eARC) -  same issue. 

Hi, I have a beam but I just got this working by renaming the Room to “Speaker” (Settings>System>Room name). Then I give the command “Alexa, switch Speaker to TV”. Have tested a few times and seems to be working!

Badge

My Arc doesn’t respond to changing the source to TV when this happens. It doesn’t recognise that a TV is connected, which corresponds well with the fact that my TV has switched back to built-in speaker because Arc didn’t start up. If I reboot Arc, so that it is active once I start the TV I do get the two connected, but if the TV is the one to start up first, Arc doesn’t respond anymore. 

Any updates to this issue?  I’ve had this issue the entire time. My tv is an 85 x900F. This is getting ridiculous. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TorbenRasser and @SilverSun.

Thanks for reaching out, I'd be glad to help.

To verify, is Autoplay still enabled on the settings?

I'd like to check first some data on your system to better understand what's going on, kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there's anything under the hood that might cause this issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we're always here to help.

Hi there. I’ve been getting the same issue consistently every time I stop playing music and start watching TV. What’s the fix?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Amattand.

Thanks for reaching out, sorry tom hear about the trouble.

I'd like to check first some data on your system to better understand what's going on, kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there's anything under the hood that might cause this issue.

Alternatively, you can reach out to Sonos Support, so we can take a closer look at this in real-time. I suggest our phone team, they have resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we're always here to help.

Thanks. The confirmation number is 174585536

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Amattand.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system detected an error and the Arc is not receiving an audio signal from the TV, although it shows that it is active and ready to receive the signal.

We appreciate your patience working through this, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Supportso we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

I have this same problem with my LG television. If I have a music playing and the Arc is used for playback, its an embarrassing process to switch the TV on and figure out how to get its audio to play. 

If anyone finds some additional solutions, I’d love to hear em! I’m currently trying everything mentioned so far.

Userlevel 2

I just connected a new LG CX to my ARC via eArc and the solution here was to stop music, and use TV remote to turn up volume, and TV audio returned to the ARC.

such a sweet set up!

Userlevel 2

I have this same problem with my LG television. If I have a music playing and the Arc is used for playback, its an embarrassing process to switch the TV on and figure out how to get its audio to play. 

If anyone finds some additional solutions, I’d love to hear em! I’m currently trying everything mentioned so far.

Try using TV remote control to turn up volume… works for me

Just got my Arc today - wish this was more obvious. I’d been turning the TV off/on to get audio back.

Thanks John B.

I’m really enjoying the SONOS Arc but last night encountered a frustrating problem that I could not resolve. On hearing a song I liked during the closing credits of a TV show I’d been watching, I found the song on Spotify and played it on the Arc, the TV was still ON but without the audio. Once the song from Spotify had finished I wanted to resume watching the TV but could not get TV audio back on the Arc. I tried adjusting the TV volume level, checked that Auto Play was switched on in the Arc settings, turned the TV off and then on again but nothing worked. I have the Arc connected to an LG OLED65C7V TV via the HDMI (ARC) output. I’m sure there must be a simple away of switching between TV and Music On the Arc but, whatever it is, I either couldn’t find it or it’s not working for me ! Any helpful advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

I had the same issue switching from Spotify to TV.  I ended up turning off Autoplay which resolved the problem for me. It does mean that you will need to select TV under the music icon every time. It’s still better than turning the TV on and off to get the audio output.

I’m thinking of getting the arc. Is this issue fixed yet? I personally hate the idea of having to manually change between tv and music. It’s 2021 lol this should be automatic especially for a high end 800$ priced product!

I have this same issue, if the TV is on and then you play music, then turn the music back off, it will not switch back to the TV. I have to power cycle the TV to get it to switch, Or I have to go into the SONOS app and switch the “Auto play” back off then on again. A time delay to switch back to the TV after no music was one would be very helpful!

I’m using optical on the TV.