Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just leaving this post so I can keep up with this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just leaving this post so I can keep up with this. 

You can click on the Favorite icon at the top of the thread, then you can use the Subscriptions feature to easily keep an eye on it.

Also waiting for the LPCM support for Sonos Arc. Then I could just use passthrough on my TV and ALL problems would be solved with Switch, Xbox One, Apple TV etc.  Ofcourse I want Atmos sound and not dolby digital 5.1 sound. On Switch I even just get stereo as it is now.

I think the Arc should have been release with LPCM in the first place. But good thing Sonos is working on it. I was really worried I had to live with a product that didn’t meet my standards.

Please let me know when the update is coming.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Another vote here for this to be added to the ARC

Userlevel 2

Another vote here as well.. seems like it shouldn’t be something we have to ask for

Badge

Sonos is there any updates at all for the thousands of us waiting ? 
Thanks

Thanks

Perhaps see this earlier post from Scott (Sonos Production Management):

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/multichannel-pcm-on-arc-6840185?postid=16452321#post16452321

It briefly mentions that Multichannel LPCM support is in development, which will then be tested.

Badge

Thanks

Perhaps see this earlier post from Scott (Sonos Production Management):

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/multichannel-pcm-on-arc-6840185?postid=16452321#post16452321

It briefly mentions that Multichannel LPCM support is in development, which will then be tested.

No harm in them keeping us updated on a regular is it? It's such a massive feature that countless people are waiting on.
We also all know what Sonos are like for “coming soon” “in a few months"

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I’ve already signed up at the beta link to be a general beta tester, but I was curious if it would be beneficial to suggest that a specific LPCM beta group be created since so many are interested in this specific feature for the arc. If I’m breaking any rules by mentioning this here I apologize, just trying to help the process along in any way I can.

Badge +3

I’m an audio noob! So, would this fix the issue of audio sync being awful when using PS4 and Arc with Bitstream via eARC?

Badge +3

Actually, can anyone help? I just got a Sonos Arc. I have a TV with eARC. What’s the best settings? When on PS4 using Bitstream (Dolby), I get audio sync issues. My TV audio is set to “auto” not PCM or passthrough. Is this something that multichannel LPCM will fix eventually?

Actually, can anyone help? I just got a Sonos Arc. I have a TV with eARC. What’s the best settings? When on PS4 using Bitstream (Dolby), I get audio sync issues. My TV audio is set to “auto” not PCM or passthrough. Is this something that multichannel LPCM will fix eventually?

Set the TV audio to passthrough and leave the PS4 using bitstream .. it should then be fine.

Badge +3

Set the TV audio to passthrough and leave the PS4 using bitstream .. it should then be fine.

Ah. Thanks! I did originally have it set like that but live chatted with Sonos and they said set the tv to “auto”. Not sure why… will passthrough give me 5.1/Atmos etc? 

Ah. Thanks! I did originally have it set like that but live chatted with Sonos and they said set the tv to “auto”. Not sure why… will passthrough give me 5.1/Atmos etc? 

Passthrough just means that .. the TV will let the audio passthrough the ports without trying to transcode it.. the ARC will get the audio, exactly as sent by the originating device and will play whatever it sends, as long as it’s supported by the Arc.

You can see what the input audio is, by going to the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/About my Sonos’ and find your Arc in the device list. You should see "Audio In" and next to that will be the audio it’s currently receiving/playing.

TV Passthrough is usually best as there are no interruptions to the audio… you only need use Auto if you want the TV to try to transcode the signal. Go for that option if you don’t hear any audio but that’s highly unlikely these days.

There are some issues with Apple TV4K sending multichannel LPCM audio, but Sonos say they are going to support that codec, but for now if using a multichannel LPCM source, just switch the originating device to send Dolby Digital 5.1 etc; until the Arc update is in place and it supports that codec.

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’m guessing with the layoffs due to the pandemic LPCM will take longer.  I’m still not clear what LPCM will do for Apple TV owners.  That’s my only source of content.  My Sony X930E does provide atmos through Arc with the built in Prime app but not the Apple TV prime app.  Can anyone explain what LPCM will provide us with Apple TV?

Badge +1

I’m guessing with the layoffs due to the pandemic LPCM will take longer.  I’m still not clear what LPCM will do for Apple TV owners.  That’s my only source of content.  My Sony X930E does provide atmos through Arc with the built in Prime app but not the Apple TV prime app.  Can anyone explain what LPCM will provide us with Apple TV?

I’m not aware of there being any mention of Sonos laying off staff? They’ve actually had a backlog of orders to process recently so I doubt that they’re having cashflow issues requiring layoffs. 

In any case - it looks like the latest app/firmware release yesterday (12.0.5) didn’t contain this LPCM support (as one would expect I suppose but just to confirm!) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I don’t know how you could have missed the Sonos layoffs.  It’s been all over the news for a while.  The main moderator of these forums was let go.  There is a pandemic on.  No direct sales can compensate for the loss of all the retail. Their financials are available too since they are a public company and it’s not good.

Google Sonos layoffs then Sonos revenues.

Badge +1

I don’t know how you could have missed the Sonos layoffs.  It’s been all over the news for a while.  The main moderator of these forums was let go.  There is a pandemic on.  No direct sales can compensate for the loss of all the retail. Their financials are available too since they are a public company and it’s not good.

Google Sonos layoffs then Sonos revenues.

Fair enough - I’ve just done that and as you say I’ve found multiple articles confirming that. Must have missed that news somehow - I have been following the news less of late due to the levels of gloom to contend with to be fair. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

Apparently still no LPCM support yet …

I am on the market to buy a TV, and I wanted to have a Sonos Arc to get some Atmos action.

Unfortunately, my streaming device is an ATV 4K, and I refuse to use the TV apps to stream (adds and  I do not trust TV OSs with the security of my network) so I am on hold for now on my purchase.

I will wait for Sonos to release the update bringing the LPCM support before buying.

Unless we have a TV that is capable to transfer the Atmos sound to the Arc without lipsync issues… After reading some threads in here and on Apple forum, I have not yet identified this “magical” TV…

Any advice from the community?

Thks

Valyno

Badge

+1 for another customer with Sonos ARC + AppleTV + LG 2020 nanocell TV and no Dolby Atmos sounds.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

+1 for another customer with Sonos ARC + AppleTV + LG 2020 nanocell TV and no Dolby Atmos sounds.  

Do you have the latest firmware? 03.10.60

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a LG 55NANO866 and I have Atmos…? What are your settings on the tv?

Badge

Easier if you tell me your settings because I’ve tried them all. Btw I am talking about the physical Apple TV  not the AppleTV+ app baked into webos. The app works because it supports bitstreaming where as the box uses LPCM which Sonos does not support to date. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am using the Apple TV 4K, with the audio settings set to Auto, and Dolby Atmos turned on.  My LG Nano91 is set to Passthrough, with eARC on.  I was not able to receive any sound when playing Atmos content until earlier this week when the new firmware update came through my tv.  Once the update was completed, I tried Atmos content on Netflix, Prime and Apple TV+ and was surprised that all formats were working without having to change settings any longer.  So something in the latest update has allowed the Arc to accept the Audio format from the Apple Tv box. 

Badge

Ok I shall go force an update.