Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar Simplink se establece de manera automática al activar hdmi arc, te paso fotos con el manual que he leído en la tv. 
He puesto en Netflix Ratched en versión original y por fin me sale Dolby Atmos! Pero en español no.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

come on LG Europe pull your fingers out and release the UK firmware that fixes this.  Yes I know this is a Sonos forum, I wish LG UK has a forums and I’d post over there.

It’s also off-topic. This thread is about LPCM support on Sonos Arc. Nothing to do with LG...

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar voy a intentar a ver si me llega el cable y pruebo eso como última opción, si no, llamaré al soporte de sonos, mil gracias por toda tú ayuda. 

Thanks for the update. Sound like it won’t be done in time before return periods end... 

That’s why I initiated my return. It appears Sonos will roll out LPCM support alongside other features in a larger update. Sonos should just release the LPCM update on its own as soon as it’s ready. It shouldn’t take long as it’s a simple code and would keep customers happy. I appreciate it makes more sense to release one larger update from a workload point of view, but a lot of customers are dependent on LPCM support and I currently have to use the ARC as a Glorified stereo speaker and there are better and cheaper options for this

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nothing for the U.K. version of the nan906 yet. 

It takes a long time to localize the US version for the UK :laughing:

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Did Sonos ever acknowledge the downmixing and volume level issues?

Yes I believe so, I think someone on here tweeted the Sonos ceo and he responded that they are working on it, I may be wrong though.

Not so sure about any acknowledgement about the volume level issue…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes!!!! Thanks Sonos! My Nintendo Switch does Multichannel PCM 7.1 now instead of stereo 2.0 :D

Good stuff!

Do you know if this is possible using apple tv 4k? 

It is.

Yep I’m another voicing my annoyance that LPCM has been left out. It’s free and is used across all gaming consoles as default. There is no logic behind why it’s not supported by the Sonos ARC especially with eARC

Oh I agree. I can think of no technical or legal reason that the Arc cannot support multi-channel LPCM, so maybe it will, given more engineering time. At least it is possible with eARC now.

I just hope that people (including myself) don’t buy another (probably inferior) product waiting for this to get sorted. 

Getting very close to pulling my preorder now. Just seems crazy that it’s not included. 

I assume Sonos has yet to give an ETA on when LPCM is coming to the Arc? It’s been over four months and it’s annoying to have to switch audio settings on the Apple TV constantly

Badge

The sonos app reporting 7.1 multichannel, I thought was a bug with Sonos ARC?

All my devices that that should be 5.1 say 7.1 on the sonos app.

My xbox series x,  if set to uncompressed 5.1 outputs as multichannel 7.1 according to sonos app.

My oppo 203 is exactly the same.

As is my apple tv 4k for any 5.1 content that it sends as LPCM outputs as 7.1

Is Sonos still working on a fix, thought I read something a while back that they were aware?

Not for me at least. When I make a change to 5.1 on a device like the PS5, it updates instantly in the Sonos app to LPCM 5.1 from 7.1. My Apple TV 4K works correctly, outputting 5.1 LCPM on 5.1 media without any settings adjustments (even though more and more DD 5.1 content is being upgraded to Atmos, I couldn’t even find a 5.1 movie last night) I use that surround speaker test app which is known as a baseline.  When the Sonos app says 7.1, the sound is messed up and has gaps where the 2 extra speakers should be. The bug for me is the PS4/5 thinking the setup is 7.1 without manual intervention. Are you sure this isn’t a TV pass through issue? Try that surround speaker test app in DD5.1 and see what the Sonos app shows. 

Badge

yes and it will be blocked from loading on your TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Add another voice to the “please add support for LPCM 5.1” chorus. As a Nintendo Switch owner it’d be really cool to have full surround support.

Blame Nintendo for using a format that cannot be passed over optical, or ARC. They don’t care if you want to take the audio from your TV (that gets it via HDMI) and do something else with it. They don’t want to pay the royalties to Dolby, that’s all.

eARC is the only transport that can handle LPCM 5.1 from a TV to an audio device.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This really needs sorted. Having to use stereo is a joke for an 800 quid product 

Agreed. Hopefully it gets sorted before my return period ends. 

Any update on this?

Userlevel 1

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lpcm-eta-for-arc-6842558?postid=16482333#post16482333

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

This is how I’ve got it setup:

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

Sonos app reports in getting Multichannel PCM 7.1. However it sounds off. Surround and certain environmental effects are very quiet but certain other sounds like dialogue or gunfire in a game right in front from center channel is very loud. It’s almost like it is missing certain channels or something. I’ve gone back to DD 5.1 which sounds great. Change PS4 output to Bitsream (Dolby) to get DD 5.1 which sounds much better balanced to me with the surround effect. 

I don’t know if it’s a bug but yes I’ve seen that some stuff defaults to 7.1 even though Sonos is only 5.1 or 5.1.2

The nintendo switch asks me would i like 5.1 or 7.1 after I select LPCM, hopefully the PS4 does too?

I haven’t fullky tested mine, but I would not be surprised if 7.1 sounded wrong, because two of the channel are missing. I would think that the ARC should only allow 5.1 with LPCM, but for some reason the EDID data reported back allows all LPCM channels so 7.1 becomes available even though the Sonos system doesn’t have that many channels

Or maybe Sonos is allowing 7.1 because secretly they are planning to let us add another 2 sonos speakers into the surround setup for full 7.1? That would be awesome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m starting to regret preordering the Arc with basic functionality like this not being included. 

I just discovered my TV doesn’t have eARC anyway, so that is a bummer. I’ll have to wait until someone figures out if AppleTV + Atmos + HDMI-ARC + Sonos-Arc = Atmos or not.

Badge

… It doesn’t look like this is even a technical issue, as the device supports Dolby MAT, which is multichannel PCM and additional dolby metadata on top. I mean, I’m not sure how it’s even possible to not support multichannel PCM in this case? I’m starting to hope that this is just a press error, considering how fatal an omission the lack of multichannel pcm would be for a device of this type that does not have DTS support.

Originally Dolby MAT was used for transporting TrueHD. When atmos was released, they allowed MAT to unpack both DD+ and TrueHD to multichannel PCM. So its possible sonos are supporting TrueHD MAT but not PCM MAT. God knows why not. 

Badge

Got a nano906na and the latest firmware under software update is 0.3.10.28 which does not work for atmos. 

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

A few months?

I just got an LG BX and have my Arc plugged into the eARC port - yet when I play any Dolby Atmos content via my Apple TV 4K I get no sound (tried heaps of combinations of settings to no avail).

From what I understand this is due to the arcs lack of LPCM support. So my Arc will be a very large brick until this update is released in a few months?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Ah ok, if you only play games then LPCM is probably the way to go (there might be games with Dolby Atmos, but I’m not a big gamer myself anymore). I think the “let my receiver decode audio” is only for Bluray playback isn’t it? But I would disable that as well, if you only play games. 

Very few games support Atmos, but every game supports LPCM

Badge +1

When I play movie tracks that has Dolby Digital 5.1 content on Sonos Beam the Sonos app says Dolby Digital 5.1 however if I play the same movie tracks on ARC it says Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1. I am using Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney app on the Samsung Q70T TV. Does anyone noticing this? If I play a movie with Atoms content, the ARC detects Dolby Atmos.

On Samsung Q70T TV - If I change HDMI-eARC Mode from Auto to Off, then I see the the Sonos receive Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 signal. For Dolby Atmos content, I am seeing Dolby Atmos (DD+). If I change HDMI-eARC Mode to Auto, then the content which has Dolby Digital 5.1 changes to Dolby Multi-Channel PCM 5.1 and for Dolby Atmos content, I am seeing Dolby Atmos.

The issue turning off the HDMI-eARC Mode is not allowing the pass-through of audio content format from other sources like Xbox one X. What ever content I play on Xbox the output is showing as Dolby Atmos (DD+).

Is this a bug in Sonos ARC?

I am not sure which format is better? Dolby Digital 5.1  or Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus  signal ?

Badge

I am using the Apple TV 4K, with the audio settings set to Auto, and Dolby Atmos turned on.  My LG Nano91 is set to Passthrough, with eARC on.  I was not able to receive any sound when playing Atmos content until earlier this week when the new firmware update came through my tv.  Once the update was completed, I tried Atmos content on Netflix, Prime and Apple TV+ and was surprised that all formats were working without having to change settings any longer.  So something in the latest update has allowed the Arc to accept the Audio format from the Apple Tv box. 

What version of the firmware and TV do you have?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have 03.10.60

Although I have been told the updates are geographical.  I am located in US.

From what others are saying, the format I am receiving is Dolby MAT from the Apple TV, but it is still nice to have one place to go for all content, rather than using the LG tv apps.

Badge +1

Thank you Nicholas for the response. 

Based on your response, I am understanding that Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1 is a better signal than Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Final clarification, with eARC set to Auto on the Samsung Q70T TV, Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+ apps that have content listed as 5.1 ( on Sonos Beam shows as Dolby Digital 5.1 ), now on Sonos ARC it shows Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1, so this is the best format outputting? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Support for multi-channel LPCM is in active development. We'll be testing over the next few months to be part of a future software update. We will update the community once it's available.

I see 12.0.3 is out today. Is this issue addressed in this release? 

Still No LPCM support with latest update. I don't expect it for good few months going by Sonos update history