Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

A Sonos staff member, Corry P. stated last week this was not addressed in the latest update.

Badge +1

Thank you for the response. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Did Sonos ever acknowledge the downmixing and volume level issues?

Yes I believe so, I think someone on here tweeted the Sonos ceo and he responded that they are working on it, I may be wrong though.

Not so sure about any acknowledgement about the volume level issue…

December 4th, lol.

I’m sure there was another tweet someone from sonos technicians that they have this fixed partly and its in testing.

I do find it quite poor this company takes so long to fix issues. I do realise we are in a pandemic, but sonos support who I guess work from home could keep us updated more on progress for fixes to issues.

Userlevel 7

Not sure if this pertains to this conversation, but I just tested a 7.1.2 test tones video from my Dolby Atmos demo Blu-ray on my 5.1.2 Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup. The test tones for the left and right surround channels played perfectly clear out of my Play:1 rear surround speakers indicating that the Arc will take a 7.1 track and mix the two side surround channels into the two rear surround channels.

Badge

I’ll just have to keep pressing the update every hour until they release a U.K. firmware. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey gang,

I’m also in the Apple TV 4k / Arc LPCM boat. Just wanted to leave a post to remind me to check in as soon as possible when this is resolved. Hopefully it’s soon because the Arc is great otherwise if they could just get this working.

Ok I’d best stop pressing update every hour.  

Had to laugh when I saw this. I have been doing the same thing in Germany.

Badge

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware

here is the official link to the uk firmware

Badge

Sonos is there any updates at all for the thousands of us waiting ? 
Thanks

Perhaps see this earlier post from Scott (Sonos Production Management):

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/multichannel-pcm-on-arc-6840185?postid=16452321#post16452321

It briefly mentions that Multichannel LPCM support is in development, which will then be tested.

No harm in them keeping us updated on a regular is it? It's such a massive feature that countless people are waiting on.
We also all know what Sonos are like for “coming soon” “in a few months"

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is LPCM = Dolby Multi-Channel PCM?

No. Dolby has nothing to do with PCM.

Badge

double post.  Where is the delete button.

Sonos just put out a 13.0 firmware release

@ledzep1 , @GuitarSuperstar - any chance you can check if this has fixed the LPCM 7.1 to 5.1 downmixing issues?

I love all of my Sonos products. However, I implore everyone to NOT buy an Arc if you need LPCM to optimize the sound of your setup. Buy it AFTER they make the software update. Vote with your wallets to get the team to prioritize this capability. 

Thanks for the update. It certainly has improved things. However, with my UHD 4k Blu-Ray Player (Panasonic UB 820), I have DTS set to PCM. It only still plays in Stereo PCM 2.0.

My Nvidia shield and Apple TV pays DTS titles with PCM 7.1 which is great, but very disappointed that the Blu-ray player does not. Any ideas?

Badge

That’s a negative on the PS5 sadly. If I select LPCM the PS5 will default to 7.1 and will not let me change the channel layout, it’s either Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM

On the PS5: settings - sound - Audio Output - HDMI Device Type : AV Amplifier. This is the key setting. It will unlock the ability to set the number of channels to 5.1 and adjust speaker positions. With this setup, I am getting Linear PCM 5.1 with my Sonos 5.1.2 setup. For some reason the PS4 and PS5 interpret an Arc 5.1.2 setup as 7.1. Same number of channels perhaps? 

Thanks for sharing all of your feedback everyone. We will be adding Multi-Channel LPCM support to Arc as part of a future software update. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

Is it feasible that the beam might be able to support Multi-Channel LPCM even though it doesn’t have eARC? If so, does Sonos have plans to add support for this? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

Apparently still no LPCM support yet …

I am on the market to buy a TV, and I wanted to have a Sonos Arc to get some Atmos action.

Unfortunately, my streaming device is an ATV 4K, and I refuse to use the TV apps to stream (adds and  I do not trust TV OSs with the security of my network) so I am on hold for now on my purchase.

I will wait for Sonos to release the update bringing the LPCM support before buying.

Unless we have a TV that is capable to transfer the Atmos sound to the Arc without lipsync issues… After reading some threads in here and on Apple forum, I have not yet identified this “magical” TV…

Any advice from the community?

Thks

Valyno

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lpcm-eta-for-arc-6842558?postid=16482333#post16482333

Quote:

John M - 3 days ago [at the time of this posting]

"We are actively testing multi-channel LPCM on Sonos and we'll be releasing it as part of a software update by the end of this year. We will update this thread again once it's available. "

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yep I’m another voicing my annoyance that LPCM has been left out. It’s free and is used across all gaming consoles as default. There is no logic behind why it’s not supported by the Sonos ARC especially with eARC

Oh I agree. I can think of no technical or legal reason that the Arc cannot support multi-channel LPCM, so maybe it will, given more engineering time. At least it is possible with eARC now.

I just hope that people (including myself) don’t buy another (probably inferior) product waiting for this to get sorted. 

Badge

This is how I’ve got it setup:

LG CX: HDMI in Bitstream (I tried PCM too, makes no difference since the passthrough on the audio out may make this selection irrelevant anyways?). EARC on. Audio Out passthrough.

PS4: HDMI audio. Linear PCM. 

Sonos app reports in getting Multichannel PCM 7.1. However it sounds off. Surround and certain environmental effects are very quiet but certain other sounds like dialogue or gunfire in a game right in front from center channel is very loud. It’s almost like it is missing certain channels or something. I’ve gone back to DD 5.1 which sounds great. Change PS4 output to Bitsream (Dolby) to get DD 5.1 which sounds much better balanced to me with the surround effect. 

Unless you have a genuine 7.1 setup (now even sure there is such a thing with Sonos) the PS4 is incorrectly identifying your 5.1.2 setup as 7.1 so you have dead spots in your sound field. The same thing happened to me. I swapped to DD on the PS4 and it correctly went to 5.1, like you said. Ran that until I got a PS5. On the PS5 if you set HDMI device type to TV Amplifier, you can force the PS5 to output 5.1 and LPCM sounds great. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Sonos just put out a 13.0 firmware release

@ledzep1 , @GuitarSuperstar - any chance you can check if this has fixed the LPCM 7.1 to 5.1 downmixing issues?

Based on the release notes, it doesn't appear so…

Userlevel 7

I updated the firmware and played the 7.1 audio test on my DTS demo disc… no change. Both side surround channels play the test tone, but both rear surround channels are silent.

Badge

Now the update is out for the Sonos Arc, I want to make sure I’m getting the best audio.

Playing Atmos content seems to work fantastic now. I am very happy with the sound from the Arc, Sub and 2 Ones.

When I play videos that have 5.1 audio, my Sonos app reports Multichannel PCM 7.1. Is this a problem as from what I understand my setup is not 7.1 (for reference, I am using an Apple TV 4K, LG GX, Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 Ones)?

Cheers.

I have the identical setup except for a Sony tv (HDMI 2.1). With my PS5, I have to manually force it to output 5.1. However, my AppleTV 4K recognized my 5.1.2 setup perfectly; Atmos, 5.1 etc. Download the AppleTV app “Surround Speaker Check” and run through the 5.1 test. Is your Sonos app showing LPCM 5.1? If it’s still showing 7.1, maybe it is the Apple TV? On Apple TV: settings - video and audio - audio format: is change format off and Dolby Atmos on? What video is showing up as 7.1 for you? I’ll test it on my setup. 

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar pero esa opción no me aparece, las únicas opciones que me da en salida de audio digital es PCM, Automático y Transferencia. Porque es eso?

@GuitarSuperstar but that option does not appear to me, the only options it gives me in digital audio output are PCM, Automatic and Transfer.  Why is that?

@Bertybassett 

I have checked a few of the European sites and they are all .28 as you and I are.  I do not understand why it takes so long to roll out to us.  I wished we could just load the US firmware but I would be afraid of bricking my tv.