Answered

Multichannel PCM on Arc

Show first post

328 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am using the Apple TV 4K, with the audio settings set to Auto, and Dolby Atmos turned on.  My LG Nano91 is set to Passthrough, with eARC on.  I was not able to receive any sound when playing Atmos content until earlier this week when the new firmware update came through my tv.  Once the update was completed, I tried Atmos content on Netflix, Prime and Apple TV+ and was surprised that all formats were working without having to change settings any longer.  So something in the latest update has allowed the Arc to accept the Audio format from the Apple Tv box. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The Beam can only do stereo PCM (and DD5.1), at least for now.

I’m pretty sure the ARC in Beam cannot support 7.1 multichannel PCM, unlike the eARC in Arc. There can be a functional reason why Beam doesn’t support multichannel PCM, but there should be none for (e)Arc. It’s a short-sighted artificial limitation that significantly limits the useability of the Arc: both a significant amount of consoles, blu-rays and UHD movies on disc are rendered incompatible until it is fixed, hopefully very soon, ie. the second S2 debuts.

(Hey Sonos, how did nobody think of the amount of confusion the limitations of “ARC” in Beam vs. the features of “Arc” are going to create?)

Badge

Ok I shall go force an update.