Question

Configuring Sonos & Google Assistant & Google Home

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You should be able to use a Mini or Home hub to send music to your Amp by specifying the Amp room name. Try "Hey Google, play XXX on (Amp room name)".

She says, "I'm afraid I can't do that yet"

* I have configured Google Music (for which I have a premium subscription) as the default service. But every time I ask Google to "Play [artist or song]", the Sonos responds saying "I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices."
Make sure your Google Home GPM account is the same as your Sonos GPM account.

It is.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Your luck is better than mine. Here is a sample:

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty"

Reply: "I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices."

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty in the Office"

Reply: "I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices."

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty on the Office Sonos"

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty on Google Play"

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty on Google Play Music"

"Hey Google, play Tom Petty on Google Play Music on the Office Sonos"

Reply: "I looked for Tom Petty on Google Play Music on the Office on Google Play Music but it either isn't available or can't be played now"
* I have configured Google Music (for which I have a premium subscription) as the default service. But every time I ask Google to "Play [artist or song]", the Sonos responds saying "I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices."

I haven't been home to view the update yet, but I would make sure that Google and Sonos are both setup with the same music service account. If they are, I would try removing and re-enabling the account on Sonos, then try the command again.
I have downloaded 10.2 and configured my Sonos system for Google Assistant. I have 4 Sonos Amps and 5 Sonos Beams+Ones+SUBs. I have 9 Home Hubs and 6 Minis.

Some early observations for which I would appreciate feedback/confirmation from Sonos Support:

* Only rooms that have a Sonos Beam or Ones can be directly paired with Google Assistant. My Sonos Amps do not appear to be controlled by GA (e.g. using a Home Hub or Mini as a "microphone" for a Sonos Amp).

You should be able to use a Mini or Home hub to send music to your Amp by specifying the Amp room name. Try "Hey Google, play XXX on (Amp room name)".

* Related, none of my Sonos speakers appear as targets within Google Home to which you could map "default speaker". For example, map a Home Hub to a Sonos room as the default speaker.

I do not think this is possible at this time. It came later with Alexa, probably the case here.

Make sure your Google Home GPM account is the same as your Sonos GPM account.

* In Google Home, there is a Sonos TV Control for each Sonos room including the Amps. This must be manually adopted to my home, then assigned a room in the Google Home app. However, it's not clear to me what the TV control does given that it isn't a speaker (e.g. perhaps permit voice control of the Sonos Beam/Amp's HDMI-CEC via Google Assistant?).

Can't help here, I don't have a Beam/Amp. Sorry.

* It appears that you cannot cast to a Sonos system (e.g. open YouTube and select Cast or use similar control on Android phone). This may be why I cannot map my Sonos rooms as "default speakers"

Correct, casting is not possible at this time. Whether Chromecast capability is coming is not known.
I'm able to voice control from Google Home Hub to Sonos Play:1 pair, but they don't show up in list of Default speakers, which is EXTREMELY disappointing. Have to say something like: "Hey Google, play my flow from Deezer on Office Sonos". Annoying.