Question

Configuring Sonos & Google Assistant & Google Home

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

So long as Sonos capriciously wants its customers to use their products with their app and/or only paired with other Sonos speakers, they'll never free these speakers to be used as a network speaker.

Not at all true. Sonos speakers work with Alexa Cast, Spotify Connect, AirPlay 2, and Sonos' own open Direct Control protocol. Also with whatever protocol Google Play Music uses. ChromeCast is the only missing piece. With Google abandoning the ChromeCast Audio, I wonder whether they're working on something similar to Alexa Cast.

The bolded is not true. You cannot group Sonos speakers with non-Sonos speakers using Alexa.

I must be reading this wrong then..

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

So long as Sonos capriciously wants its customers to use their products with their app and/or only paired with other Sonos speakers, they'll never free these speakers to be used as a network speaker.
Not at all true. Sonos speakers work with Alexa Cast, Spotify Connect, AirPlay 2, and Sonos' own open Direct Control protocol. Also with whatever protocol Google Play Music uses. ChromeCast is the only missing piece. With Google abandoning the ChromeCast Audio, I wonder whether they're working on something similar to Alexa Cast.

You're right, yes.

Maybe I should have leaned towards pointing out Sonos being designed as a stand-alone product rather than playing nice with a Google ecosystem.

What I said holds true to me (and others) but not everyone.

I don't use Spotify, Alexa or any Apple products; so my only way to use Sonos is through its app.

The overall point I was trying to make is that I would very much like it if Sonos allowed people like me to use their speakers as we see fit rather than being forced to use it individually with an app I have no use for other than just for it.

I must be reading this wrong then..

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

You are. You can specify default Sonos speaker(s) for each Echo device and group Sonos speakers using Alexa groups. However, you cannot group Echo devices and Sonos speakers together to play the same source.
You're right, yes.

Maybe I should have leaned towards pointing out Sonos being designed as a stand-alone product rather than playing nice with a Google ecosystem.

What I said holds true to me (and others) but not everyone.

I don't use Spotify, Alexa or any Apple products; so my only way to use Sonos is through its app.

The overall point I was trying to make is that I would very much like it if Sonos allowed people like me to use their speakers as we see fit rather than being forced to use it individually with an app I have no use for other than just for it.

I’m beginning to think that the real reason this took so long is that Google is in the midst of re-architecting its casting infrastructure. Chromecast is getting long in the tooth. Alexa Cast-Alike is, IMO, where Google should be headed, and probably is.

Sonos is the first to feature Google’s new architecture, which will no doubt be greatly expanded to include niceties like default speakers in the (hopefully near) future.