Skip to main content

All of my digital music is stored on my western digital Nas Drive. The previous S1 and S2 apps allowed me to update my music index whenever I added or deleted music on my Nas Drive. I can’t find that option in the new app.  

I was also able to create shortcuts to the various music folders on my Nas Drive through the old app, but apparently the new version no longer supports that option. Why is that?

Hahaha - I was literally about to post that

A working App maybe?

Guess they wanted to quickly push out a half working app for the new headphones!!!

All of my digital music is stored on my western digital Nas Drive. The previous S1 and S2 apps allowed me to update my music index whenever I added or deleted music on my Nas Drive. I can’t find that option in the new app.  

I was also able to create shortcuts to the various music folders on my Nas Drive through the old app, but apparently the new version no longer supports that option. Why is that?

Didn’t work on mine Buzz - just said “denied” when trying to add my existing NAS.

You can still update the Music Index using a desktop controller.

If you have a phone/pad controller that has not been updated, refrain from updating for the present.

Buzz - didn’t work for me, just said “denied”. Old S2 app on another device deleted the Music Library also!

Hello, 

First, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and with our CEO, Patrick. We’ve received a great deal of feedback thus far, on both the improvements made as well as where we fell short. We expect that feedback will continue to roll in, so we’ll be working through it all in the coming weeks. We also recognize that there is more work to be done on the Sonos App, and want to provide you with an update.

We’re happy to share that we delivered a software update on May 14 reintroducing the ability to add and edit alarms, as well as initial screen reader improvements for iOS VoiceOver that will allow users to more easily navigate the app. If you are missing these features, ensure that your Sonos App and products are all up to date: https://support.sonos.com/article/update-your-sonos-speakers

Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and addressing performance issues:

-Additional improvements for screen readers for visually impaired customers: May 21
-Adding to queue and playing next: early June
-Sleep timer: mid-June
-Local music library search and playback: mid-June 
-Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. We’re working hard to bring these features to the new Sonos App quickly. If you are experiencing an issue with your Sonos System, feel free to visit these helpful resources, or get in contact with us:

-Sonos Community: https://en.community.sonos.com
-Sonos App User Guide: https://www.sonos.com/guides/sonosapp
-Sonos Support Home: https://support.sonos.com
-Sonos Support Contact: https://support.sonos.com/contact

Kind Regards,
The Sonos Customer Experience Team

I, like most of the subscribers on here, play my using from my own library of 30000+ tracks on a NAS drive, controlled by the app on my iPhone. First I lost my speakers and music library due to misguidedly updating the new release. I spent the best part of a day reseting everything back to factory defaults then setting everything back up as though a new system, only to find that I can no longer play anything from music library as not listed. Earlier threads said to check under Sources but there is no Sources! So no music library. I am currently receiving adverts from Sonos about new products but I doubt whether I’ll ever buy another Sonos product again!!! And certainly won’t be recommending to anybody, just the reverse I’ll advising to look elsewhere. 

I, like most of the subscribers on here, play my using from my own library of 30000+ tracks on a NAS drive, controlled by the app on my iPhone. First I lost my speakers and music library due to misguidedly updating the new release. I spent the best part of a day reseting everything back to factory defaults then setting everything back up as though a new system, only to find that I can no longer play anything from music library as not listed. Earlier threads said to check under Sources but there is no Sources! So no music library. I am currently receiving adverts from Sonos about new products but I doubt whether I’ll ever buy another Sonos product again!!! And certainly won’t be recommending to anybody, just the reverse I’ll advising to look elsewhere. 

You mentioned “new products”. Their new headphones is dropping next week, but guess what? - buyers of the headphones will be upset when they find out the limitations of the new app! Not a very smart move at all Sonos!!!

There’s a lot of threads regarding how to fix stuff like this.  First ensure you aren’t using smbv1.   Also, check permissions on the share you set up on your NAS.  Use the PC app to re-set up your music library and index it from there as well.  

While I share music from my PC, it initially wasn’t working for me, but now I got it working.  

There’s a lot of threads regarding how to fix stuff like this.  First ensure you aren’t using smbv1.   Also, check permissions on the share you set up on your NAS.  Use the PC app to re-set up your music library and index it from there as well.  

While I share music from my PC, it initially wasn’t working for me, but now I got it working.  

All things were tried. The new app sees my NAS, but when I enter correct data - it says “Denied”. Sonos App-1 works fine, but both the new app and the former S-2 app on two non-updated devices do NOT work.

caesar327 wrote:

First ensure you aren’t using smbv1.   Also, check permissions on the share you set up on your NAS.  Use the PC app to re-set up your music library and index it from there as well.  

Firstly how do I check for smbv1? And prior to the Sonos iPhone app update, I could access my music library from the app on my iPhone, so the permission must have been OK. One update later and all gone. Yes, I can access everything from my laptop but that’s not the point which is that prior functionality which, reading other people’s threads, was widely used, has been removed. To say nothing about removing the speakers as well in the first instance which took most of a day trying this and that just to add the speakers back in and at least get them working using Spotify. Very very poor. An update regression option could have topped all this pain! 

To get back to previous S2 app:

Uninstall current Sonos App.

Now go to website APKMirror.

Search for Sonos.

Download version 16.1

Install.

Back on the gorgeous old S2 app!

Great tip - just done it. Thanks! How do I stop auto updates?

pp64: I’m told that APKMirror only has the 16.1 app for Android phones. we all have iPhones. I spoke to Sonos yesterday and was assured that an updated app would be released mid-June which would include the ‘own music library’ option, though what else might disappear, who knows… I am prepared to give them until then and we’ll see.

@SONOS what a butch of idiots … after 4 months it is still not yet fixed. That is an utter shame. That will stay as the most stupid update in app history. Congratulations ! Gold Medal of least customer orientated brand :(

I have used Sonos since I last posted, but last week I thought I’d give it another try. No update requested but my own library is now an option via Source, and as yet, I haven’t found anything missing. So, taken 3-4 months to resolve. I worked in the IT industry and we always took a backup prior to updates to enable rollback in the event that the update caused issues. Perhaps Sonos ought to consider that option to save their users unnecessary pain, or perhaps they just don’t care… As I previously stated, whenever asked, I recommend that other people find an alternative as I can’t recommend Sonos any more. 

I have used Sonos since I last posted, but last week I thought I’d give it another try. No update requested but my own library is now an option via Source, and as yet, I haven’t found anything missing. So, taken 3-4 months to resolve. I worked in the IT industry and we always took a backup prior to updates to enable rollback in the event that the update caused issues. Perhaps Sonos ought to consider that option to save their users unnecessary pain, or perhaps they just don’t care… As I previously stated, whenever asked, I recommend that other people find an alternative as I can’t recommend Sonos any more. 

I suspect you worked in a different sector of the IT industry, what you were running, how it operated and how it was managed required a backup for every roll out.

I can’t even remember the last time I worked on a system where rollouts had a mandatory backup requirement. The system, platform design, software development made it unnecessary.

When planning a rollout, taking pre-rollout specific backups where appropriate and having a clear rollback plan should always be part of the plan. It doesn’t mean every rollout involves backing everything up, or once beyond a certain point there is an ability to easily roll back.

While I have no problem calling companies out when they mess up, I think it’s disingenuous to think the Sonos engineering teams just throw caution to the wind and throw stuff out. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a lot of pressure and disagreement prior to the release between different parts of the business, but ultimately everyone working wants to get paid and there is only so much to be gained once you have pushed back and voiced your concerns. It doesn’t mean you stop doing your job properly or planning releases even if you don’t agree with the decision.

Tried Sonos again this morning and it immediately requested an update. One update later and my music library had again disappeared from both my Macbook and my iPhone. Managed to refine the shares and all good again but shouldn’t have to go through this every time Sonos issue and update. As I have an old Connect cabled into my sound surround system in the living room, I also have the old S1 app which I checked and is still working as it always has with the good old familiar layout.

Another update for the new app this past week, and still two things missing that used to be there with the old app:

1. Sonos will NOT reconnect to the internet after a glitch. I have to set up each of my four devices separately!!! My other 7 devices (phones, iPads, TV, Alexa, etc) always reconnect immediately, once the internet is back online.
  2. The convenient A~Z index on the right side of the Music Library categories is still missing.

No joke, at this point I’d love to go back to S1. I still have a connect and a 1st gen Play 5.  My Sonos ecosystem also has a Port and multiple Play1 versions.  I still have the screen controls for music playing on Sonos using the S1 app.  That went away in S2.  

so yep, reverting to S1 would work for me.  There is an option to do that in the last S2 but I don’t have confidence that it works as designed.  

Eu posso te ajudar voltar para sonos s1, procura entrar em contato, serafimavando@gmail.com