Skip to main content
Answered

The latest Sonos Upgrade

What on earth have sonos done. Five years of trouble free operation, and then today’s upgrade destroys the entire setup. Phoned the support line, only to be told 95 minutes wait time.

its a joke…. I assume.????

I wish there was an undo button. This truly is extremely irritating. Did nobody check this mess prior to release.

No doubt there will be no apologies or an offer to resolve this bloody fiasco.

GUTTED. 😡😡🤬🤬🤬 AN ENTIRE DAY WASTED !!!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

74 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this an early beta? Seriously, I have run into several obvious bugs since this upgrade. I only just started to keep track, but here is a repeatable: with two playback devices chosen, tap the button at the bottom of the now playing view to choose speakers/devices to play on. Turn one off. It doesn’t stop playing and the button continues to indicate this.

My system was fine until the upgrade.  Now, I’m missing 3 devices.  Support confirms there are issues but offers only advice - wait for a fix.   I don’t think Sonos is listening to their customers.   This is not the way you run a company.    The old software worked.   

Same problem for me - what a terrible own goal by Sonos - trashing a great reputation for easy use and reliability - what brand damage, will think twice about future products, certainly won’t trust a software upgrade

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is anyone else having issues with their mobile SONOS app?  Before this stupid upgrade, the app on my Android phone popped right up but now it takes at least 30 seconds to load and appear.  I can’t check for songs or turn off a currently playing song or turn off my alarm without having to wait for the app to appear on my phone screen.  So damn annoying.

What on earth have sonos done. Five years of trouble free operation, and then today’s upgrade destroys the entire setup. Phoned the support line, only to be told 95 minutes wait time.

I wish there was an undo button. This truly is extremely irritating. Did nobody check this mess prior to release.

I sooooo dislike the new app….a mumbo-jumbo !  Whyyyyyyy.

Bring back the previous operation!

Userlevel 2
Badge

After 3 consecutive 90 minutes on hold to talk with tech support on Friday, May 24, an incredibly nice tech person helped me restore my local music library.  I would have never been able to restore it on my own, and even though I watched as she took control of my laptop and restored the path, I have no earthly idea what steps she took to achieve success.  I've been listening to MY music all day, as if it were a long lost old friend.

My mobile app still sucks, however, and is slow to appear once I hit the Sonos app on my phone, and I can't see my local library contents on the app.  Very buggy and horrible. 

Sonos, you score -100 for releasing this upgrade in the first place, but +10 for the technical support I finally received yesterday.  That still leaves you -90 on the scorecard.  And believe me, your users are keeping score.

Userlevel 1

After 3 consecutive 90 minutes on hold to talk with tech support on Friday, May 24, an incredibly nice tech person helped me restore my local music library.  I would have never been able to restore it on my own, and even though I watched as she took control of my laptop and restored the path, I have no earthly idea what steps she took to achieve success.  I've been listening to MY music all day, as if it were a long lost old friend.

My mobile app still sucks, however, and is slow to appear once I hit the Sonos app on my phone, and I can't see my local library contents on the app.  Very buggy and horrible. 

Sonos, you score -100 for releasing this upgrade in the first place, but +10 for the technical support I finally received yesterday.  That still leaves you -90 on the scorecard.  And believe me, your users are keeping score.

Same here - 40 minutes to fix.   Fortunately my iPhone app works with the solution.

I had a boilerplate response after I wrote to ceo@sonos.com and I still think some better customer care comms would be beneficial, so I agree on your scoring too.   I’m afraid that marketing selling the newheadphones as the biggest thing customers are asking for was a big mistake, when the loyal folks are struggling.  No doubt the business schools will be using this as a case study in how to destroy a loyal customer base,   I guess that Sonos don’t have a back-track path so they hunkering down and hoping they can get the improvements out asap.   How they make up for the weeks of poor experience waits to be seen.  Just saying “it’s better now” won’t really show they see this through customer eyes.  HOWEVER, thank you to support for their help. It wasn’t their fault in support, so be kind (and grateful)

BY FAR THE WORST THING EVER SONOS HAS RELEASED. I do not see why a new software should be released lacking important and useful play features. I’ve always said SONOS has the greatest sound hardware but a super poor software team.

Badge

Yes, this was a really troubling upgrade and release. Sonos is going to lose customers - including me. 

This morning I lost all my music services from the app and could not reconnect them. That motivated me to uninstall the app/controller (Android) and reinstall S2 from apkmirror as a last resort, before shopping for a replacement system (while listening to music on my *gasp* phone!).

Now I am enjoying my library, consistent speaker connections, stable music services, instant volume/equalizer control, alarm, sleep timers, etc., etc… Happy for now, until/unless the end-user workaround ceases to work.

Badge +1

Wow. Wow. Wow. I agree this release (i can't call it an upgrade) is s total disaster. Do they have s test team?  I see nothing new and good in it and they screwed up and dropped important features

who is steering the wheel? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Woke up this morning, made a cup of coffee..kicked back in my recliner and crossed my fingers thinking it's day 19 ,they sould have this mess figured out by now. Clicked on my Sonos app and......

Still over $2500 worth of paperweights! Sonos!...get your Sh*t together, you're not trying hard enough!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Woke up this morning, made a cup of coffee..kicked back in my recliner and crossed my fingers thinking it's day 19 ,they sould have this mess figured out by now. Clicked on my Sonos app and......

Still over $2500 worth of paperweights! Sonos!...get your Sh*t together, you're not trying hard enough!

I get that every time I open the app, it's an absolute shambles. Even when it does work we don't have the ability to add songs to the queue, and when switching between apps it becomes sluggish. Another thing I've noticed is not being able to track the songs in a queue as easy as we used to be able to. They need to sort this quick, we're all waiting on the June update but imho they dropped the ball big style, and heads should roll. Still very angry 😡

Userlevel 1
Badge

This app is a disaster!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This app is a disaster!!!

Posting that in multiple threads might make you feel better but won’t do anything. The updates to the app are rolling out weekly or fortnightly, with another one coming this week, so you’ll just have to wait with the rest of us until the functionality that is yet to be added into the new app is added, which it will be. 

Or get rid of your Sonos speakers if you can’t wait. 

Userlevel 2

Just riddiculus to change all at ones.......I'm totally lost😬

1. Unplug all of your devices, delete the old app
  2. Make sure your phone OS and Sonos app are both up to date
  3. Open the new app and refresh it (somewhere in the settings menu)
  4. Then, pick one Sonos product to bring back online - make sure to hold the button (either bluetooth or the play/pause button) while plugging it in, and keep holding it til you see the light flash with an orange color
  5. Let go of the button and, in the systems settings menu, select “Add Speaker or Component”
  6. It should search for the product that you put online (the following steps may fail, just start over with step 5 (if that doesn’t work, you may have to unplug it, then start back gain at step 4)
  7. Follow the prompts, update it’s WiFi password, select the “Room” or group you want it to be added to
  8. Pick another speaker/device and repeat the process til they’re all added. 
  9. If you have a Subwoofer, you may have to go into the room once all items are online and add it to the room, as subs seem to need to be coupled to a soundbar

Step 6:

Step 9:

Thanks for you time putting this post together. Been there done that (many times), without success.

I’d love to have been in the room when the developers of the app convinced someone that it was ready to launch and again, been there when the grown-ups saw the terrible feedback and brand demolition it is getting.

Thanks for you time putting this post together. Been there done that (many times), without success.

I’d love to have been in the room when the developers of the app convinced someone that it was ready to launch and again, been there when the grown-ups saw the terrible feedback and brand demolition it is getting.

I can guarantee you the developers had nothing to do with the decision, nor did they want to release a half-baked app.  The end of fiscal year sales projections vis the new headphones are what drove this decision, and that is all on the suits. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Dear Sonos, please refrain from trying to sell me more products by email till you get the current ******** under control..Its ashame you dont put as much effect into taking care of your long time customers. 

Thanks.…

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@Mysticman57 
If not done already, you can opt out of Sonos marketing in your online Sonos account settings.

By the way their Ace Headphones are great, but that’s perhaps for another day.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/disable-promotional-emails-and-in-app-messages-from-sonos

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Done, thanks guys.

Is anyone else having issues with their mobile SONOS app?  Before this stupid upgrade, the app on my Android phone popped right up but now it takes at least 30 seconds to load and appear.  I can’t check for songs or turn off a currently playing song or turn off my alarm without having to wait for the app to appear on my phone screen.  So damn annoying.

same problem here Why was it necessary to change? it worked fine previously… not user friendly at all😡techs trying to justify their jobs they should try using it before launching. Really annoying!

Userlevel 2

I am absolutely appalled and frustrated with Sonos for rolling out an upgrade that has effectively rendered the app and our highly expensive speaker systems unusable. This is completely unacceptable from a company of Sonos's stature. The CEO, Patrick Spence, should seriously consider resigning over this debacle. How are we, the loyal users, supposed to go without music or use basic functions when the app fails to perform even the simplest tasks? This is a betrayal of trust and a huge disappointment.

@anothername,

You should not have to go without music, whether using the Sonos App, direct control, AirPlay, voice services Bluetooth, line-in etc. if it’s just the Sonos App you’re having issues with, then (if not done so already), either detail what they are, or perhaps you may find it easier to go onto reproduce the issue(s) seen and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.