Skip to main content
Answered

The latest Sonos Upgrade

What on earth have sonos done. Five years of trouble free operation, and then today’s upgrade destroys the entire setup. Phoned the support line, only to be told 95 minutes wait time.

its a joke…. I assume.????

I wish there was an undo button. This truly is extremely irritating. Did nobody check this mess prior to release.

No doubt there will be no apologies or an offer to resolve this bloody fiasco.

GUTTED. 😡😡🤬🤬🤬 AN ENTIRE DAY WASTED !!!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

74 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

In there right now. Ridiculous. Tried chatting, disconnected twice, emailed them and they asked for an explanation of the problem, and their response was “if you need further assistance please call.”  The first time I called it was 70 mins and this time it is 90. 

Userlevel 2

Same deal with me.  I use Sonos for music in my farm store. The silence is deafening.  It Worked yesterday.  Today a new app on my phone.  Beyond screwing up what was simplicity before, the menus have changed and this is annoying. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I finally was able to get my stuff reconnected via the new app. I unplugged all 4 speakers (playbar, sub and two ‘Ones’).  I then plugged each one in separately and didn’t factory reset with each one, added it and assigned it to a room. I failed about 5 times per step on average. I almost pulled an “Office Space” on the play bar.  They all had to get an update too, and one of them took about 30 minutes.  But at least I didn’t sit on hold waiting on the phone for 90 minutes. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I'm really glad you have your system sorted. I will probably have another go today, based your philosophy. Although all my speakers have been upgraded (software), and factory reset, no speakers are shown in the app...or are stated as not registered,  which is bizare.

Internet and WiFi are very strong and a reboot of the router had no improvement.

It's not an understatement but I really feel like dumping it all and get something else. I've gone from a superb S2 system to "No system" whatsoever in one day. I'm not very impressed with Sonos right at this very moment and have 2.5k worth of junk. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Mine were the same.  In the blacker sonos app (they’re not clearly marked as to which is which), nothing was showing up either.  I then did the factory reset (unplug it, then hold whatever button whilst you plug it in, wait til it blinks orange).  Then it will blink green eventually.  At that point I, instead of going to “Join Existing Sonos System” I went to “Add New Sonos Product” or something like that in the same screen, kept my phone by the Sonos Product and it would eventually find it and start the add process.  Like I mentioned, it failed once or twice at about every step, but following that approach i just kept trying and it would go one step further, then fail, repeat, but eventually got all 4 added, then was able to tie them together in a room and set up my Sonos Ones as the surround.  So, as of now, I’m back in business.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m honestly not sure that the customer service techs actually know what to do.  But I know some of mine had been upgraded and some hadn’t. and it didn’t ultimately matter.  Also, once I twice I had to “Reset App” in maybe the account section of the app.  Once I even deleted it and re-downloaded it becasue it was stuck in a never-ending circle.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well, I’m really at the end of my tether.  Another 5 hours of deleting / reinstalling the app. I’ve had to factory reset all the speakers as they’re not recognised 😡 At one point, everything was recognised , but none listed in my TV room. WTF is going on.

i hope the tech boys read this….. although I doubt it 😡

I’ve managed to get TV sound via the play bar, but the rest of the system is as dead as dodo.

the sub is installed, but not registered as refuses to connect with the play bar .

Aaaarrrggghhhh 🤬 I’m going to leave ribfor a week or so, then try again !!!!

Has anybody manage to get this piece of crap working. 
Note::::: My internet / Wi-Fi is about as good as it gets, but now the play bar says “No internet Connection. I give in.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I think I did something a little differently with my sub, like added it in the room or under the play bar there was an “Add Sub”.  And a few of mine initially, once I got through all of the failures and got them in the app, they had a notification on their name which said something like “Assign to Room” or complete system update of the device.

I did have what you have happening a few times.  In those cases I just did another factory reset of the Sub and added it again.  The sub was definitely the most difficult.  But if it’s showing in the app, just not in the room, you may have to remove it.  

I assume you went into the room in the app, then tried to click “Add Sub” from that menu after it was in the app?  Now I’m thinking I did the sub the same way as the rest, from the Systems Settings Menu, then Add Speaker under Your System section.  Then I went into the room and could basically “link” it with the Playbar.

Furthermore, when I first open the app each time, it acts like nothing at all has been done, nothing added or set up, then sometimes up to a few minutes later it refreshes and shows all of my stuff.

To be clearer, I added everything one at a time, so nothing was visible until the previous item was in there, then went to the next one.  I added each device from here:

Then after it was added, updated and connected to WiFi, I went here to attach it to the room/playbar:

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Also, make sure you have the newest version of the app and your phone or devices OS. 

Just riddiculus to change all at ones.......I'm totally lost😬

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just riddiculus to change all at ones.......I'm totally lost😬

1. Unplug all of your devices, delete the old app
  2. Make sure your phone OS and Sonos app are both up to date
  3. Open the new app and refresh it (somewhere in the settings menu)
  4. Then, pick one Sonos product to bring back online - make sure to hold the button (either bluetooth or the play/pause button) while plugging it in, and keep holding it til you see the light flash with an orange color
  5. Let go of the button and, in the systems settings menu, select “Add Speaker or Component”
  6. It should search for the product that you put online (the following steps may fail, just start over with step 5 (if that doesn’t work, you may have to unplug it, then start back gain at step 4)
  7. Follow the prompts, update it’s WiFi password, select the “Room” or group you want it to be added to
  8. Pick another speaker/device and repeat the process til they’re all added. 
  9. If you have a Subwoofer, you may have to go into the room once all items are online and add it to the room, as subs seem to need to be coupled to a soundbar

Step 6:

Step 9:

Hi

Yes it caused me a few problems - ended up downloading the S1 app and then it told me to upgrade to the S2 App and then it found all my system.

hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Gents I’m getting confused, with reference to the above post.

Am I using the latest Sonos software.. mine looks nothing like the above, especially the dark background with no options to remove speakers. 

‘My latest version was from the App Store , should I have the this direct from Sonus.?????

Any words. Of wisdom would be much appreciated .

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I get mine from the app store.  It’s a black icon with “SONOS” across the middle.  There is another version that is “SONOS S1” which I believe is the older version of the app that they’re trying to get people off of.  The dark background may just be that I have black as my phone’s standard setting, whereas you may have the standard “light” background. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This is the screen when I first log in:

Userlevel 2

This Update is the greatest s*** that sonos ever did.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

For sure.  After dropping $4k on a home audio system, I prefer not to use it and savor the beauty of it, so this app is just fucking perfect for that.  That’s ingenuity - knowing what the customer really wants even if they don’t yet know it themselves. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I've got over 2k invested in Speakers, up until this upgrade (and I use that term very loosely) everything was great,. now Half the speakers wont work. It doesn't find my Move or Roam when I’m 3 ft away from them. ..the rest of the time it’s “No product found”. Try to get support it’s a 70 min wait .Come on Sonos Get a friggin grip...This is ridiculous!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I read or saw a youtube video that certain products would not be compatible with the new app, or at some specific date coming soon.  That might be why some don’t work.  I didn’t pay close attention, but I am pretty sure that’s what they said.  I have a playbar and sub from probably 2016 and I’m surprised they made the cut.  

If that is indeed the case, that article or person said they’ll offer discounts for a replacement because it had an extremely short useful life.  It seems like that shouldn’t even be legal.  If I can find where I saw that I will pass it along.  Spending that kind of money, I’d expect it to at least be supported for 12-15 years.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

My oldest ones are from 2018, for what I have invested they better keep working for a while. A discount?..that's bullshit. They better upgrade them for free. Not a good way to run a business Sonos!

Userlevel 1

Fortunately I didn’t have issues continuing to run my music system, but I'm confused as to why the new app has FEWER features than the old one? Aren’t you supposed to add new functionality in a big update? My favorite feature of Sonos was the ability to manage the queue (add to queue, and edit the queue within by rearranging the songs). Now that feature is just completely gone. I also can’t connect to my system directly via the Spotify app anymore. Was the goal of this update to make minor aesthetic improvements and render the app useless?

Userlevel 1

The new update to the app is a disaster. Fix it please, Sonos. The S2 version was fine, just fine. Now you’ve messed it up. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just looking around online, I think what I saw may have been from 2019 and was referring to some products produced in 2010 and before.  From what I read, there seems to be a license issue with certain products and them being compatible with the new app.

Did you try the steps I laid out?  Most importantly performing the “Factory Reset” before trying to add it back to the app.  At one point I also read you need to remove them from the old app, but I wasn’t even able to get into it, and it ultimately wasn’t necessary for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I just sent an email to the CEO, let him know what a s***show their new app is. Probably never see it but what the hell.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well.... yer live and learn. (Take Note)

My system is up and running just like before. However, it's disappointing that Trueplay doesn't work but EQ does (it's a poor compromise) .

Take note: The culprit why the system couldn't find my speakers was "BOOST" I unplugged the Boost WiFi extender and everything appeared.

Obviously, WiFi is very good throughout the house (I have Sky Webb) and Sky Extenders, as part of the system, and it just appeared the Sky and Boost were fighting against each other.

Needless to say Boost has been permanently removed.

The system is working in full suround and I've added back Tidal, Qobus, Radio Pardise and all is working as it should.

It's a shame that Trueplay doesn't work, but I suppose I can live with that.

As for the interface, it's going to take some getting use to, as is seams over complicated. 

One really piss off feature is that there is no facility to connect to my NAS drive, so a couple of thousand albums are going to waste.

I do hope others get their kit working and telephone support, and the Sonos Bot are truly Pants