Skip to main content

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

The biggest annoyance for me is it always seems to need the app to be launched at (least) twice to work.

If it says no products found then it often then corrects itself but if it starts up showing services etc then it usually just goes to saying nothing found straight after.

The music library also appears on the app at random regardless of whether the NAS is actually powered on but when the app decides to show it (but with no album art) then it will play music files.

This is not something I’m seeing (see attached) - however another user here in the community that reported a similar issue, resolved it by removing and reinstalling their App. So maybe consider trying that.

I had a bad enough, in fact the worst I have ever experienced, installation experience but the new app design has taken the UX experience to a whole new depth. The product owner should be ashamed. 
The new app on IOS kicked one speaker off and now the app is stuck in search mode looking for a nearby product with no time out or ability to stop it searching.
I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling with no change.

There is nothing intuitive about Sonos products and although the sound may be good, the overall experience is barely a 1. 

I’m not so sure it will solve @TGROSE’s library access issue though, as the Sonos App works fine with SMB v2 (or higher) shared local NAS libraries in most cases and there’s very few things these days that support ‘http’ or SMB v1 protocols if that’s perhaps the issue here? In fact I suspect Sonos are one of the few companies that were supporting those sharing protocols up until they released their new Sonos controller App. I also struggle to find an iOS App these days that support those older protocols aswell.

Hi Ken, have a look at this, it might be useful for you and other members who need to retain support for SMB v1 protocols:-

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

If I read that link correctly, that’s the wrong way around isn’t it for the new Sonos App? .. it’s  from a user here in the community (Stanley_4) and allows a higher SMB share to be accessed via an intermediary SMBv1 server… the new Sonos App will simply see the share directly without the raspberry pi setup mentioned. The suggestion is ideal though for S1 App users.

Thanks for the clarification Ken.

To follow up the discussion on my network, I’m on a 6E network - that’s not an issue.  My Sonos issues are directly related to the new iPhone software, which I “resolved” by using SonoPhone.  Fortunately, I did not have auto updates on my Mac or PCs.  I have not performed software updates on them.  Therefore, Sonos works properly using that software as well.  My preferred device to control Sonos is my iPhone and it is really annoying that Sonos knowingly rushed out with an inferior software product to release new product at the expense of its existing customers.  They called it courageous!  To add insult to injury, they sent out emails to existing customers promoting the new products.

I wouldn’t know that Bluesound existed if they didn’t drive me to research alternative products.  I agree with the comment about being invested in Sonos, which is why I resolved my issue using SonoPhone.  But, I refuse to ever spend another dime on a Sonos product - a company that does not value existing customers.  I get it - they make their money on new sales.  But, they disregarded the existing customer base that recommends them to others and purchases additional Sonos equipment.  Also, they are a public company, with stock performance issues.  They completely disregarded that some of the Sonos power users they especially impacted with the inferior software are also part of the investment community.  How moronic is that?! 

By the way, I previously under-estimated my Sonos music library.  I have a little over 47,000 songs in the Sonos library.  Sure, Apple Music was a short-term resolution for me.  But, you don’t need Sonos to play Apple Music through Bluetooth.  

@TGROSE - I never knew about SonoPhone, I will definitely try it out. I too would like to access local music files in the future, any suggestions in terms of a nice SSD based NAS solution that is simple to setup and use? How does one copy files to it and do the music files have to be categorised in sub folders, for example: Pop, Instrumental, Vocals, All time Hits etc.

I had a bad enough, in fact the worst I have ever experienced, installation experience but the new app design has taken the UX experience to a whole new depth. The product owner should be ashamed. 
The new app on IOS kicked one speaker off and now the app is stuck in search mode looking for a nearby product with no time out or ability to stop it searching.

There is nothing intuitive about Sonos products and although the sound may be good, the overall experience is barely a 1. 

You are perhaps best to reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve your issue.

@TGROSE - I never knew about SonoPhone, I will definitely try it out. I too would like to access local music files in the future, any suggestions in terms of a nice SSD based NAS solution that is simple to setup and use? How does one copy files to it and do the music files have to be categorised in sub folders, for example: Pop, Instrumental, Vocals, All time Hits etc.

Hi @TGROSE, I recently looked into SSD-only NAS boxes and was surprised by the dearth of options. Certainly seems like a great idea for, say, a 4TB NAS with no noise and high reliability. In any case, QNAP and Synology are the big names to look at.

With respect to categorization, that is done using the ‘Genre’ ID3 tag. Check out the shareware tool MP3tag, it is fabulous. https://www.mp3tag.de/en

You are perhaps best to reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve your issue.

Thank you for your reply Ken. The issue has appeared post the application update. I finally managed to get the app to recognise the errant speaker but although the process completed, the speaker still does not show in the app. 
I have no idea how to recreated the fault and to be frank, I spent a lot of money on Sonos and regret it.  the customer service is only during business hours and guess what, I also have to work. How one company can think it is OK to treat customers like this is beyond me. The product is no longer as advertised. 

Samazar wrote:

I use a Synology NAS, but only because I want the additional backup and ransomware security provided by a NAS solution.  (Synology is great because of the software, but there are others.)  Prior to using Synology I just used a Windows PC with the network settings set as a Private Network and shared the directories where the music was stored. (You can rip CDs or download music to a Windows PC, or Mac. Then, copy it to the NAS if that’s what you’re using.) Whatever you use, make sure the Sonos devices and the music “server” are on the same network.  You can certainly use an SSD drive, but a traditional internal hard drive works fine as well. (If you go the NAS route, be sure the NAS model you select will use SSD drives for storage.) Then, in Sonos’ Manage Library Settings, add (point to) the directories where your music is stored.  

Formerly on the PC and now in Synology, my music is separated under three base folders (MP3, Recorded, Hi-Res).  The next level of subfolders are the Artists, and the third level of subfolders are the Albums.   What I am calling the three base folders is the level where you could sort your music by Genre or whatever you choose.  (Note: You can choose to have all of your music in one base folder with an Artist subfolder and then the Albums subfolders below the Artists.)  The, the way it used to work in Sonos is you could select music by Artists, Albums, Composers, Genre or Songs and you would be selecting from the entire music library.  Alternatively, you could select music by folder first and then drill down into Artists, etc.  However, the alternative folder functionality is not working at all in the current software version.  This a huge limitation for me.  Unfortunately, the drilldown by folder first function is not available in SonoPhone. Until it is fixed in Sonos this is not available so keep that in mind.

The only other thing I’ll add is make sure your wireless network is working well wherever you intend to place wireless Sonos speakers, especially if you are using Hi-Res music. 

This is a lot of information.  I hope it’s enough to get you started.

Every since Sonos released the new app in May, it WILL NOT connect to my Play 1 speaker. I have spent hours with tech support. Sure, every now and then it will connect for 10 minutes tops, then it cannot find my speaker again. Tech support admitted tonight they are barraged with customers with the same complaint. BUT no communication, no ETA, nada. Super poor customer service. Unless there is communication and/or it is fixed in a week— no more Sonos. Moving on….

Hi @TGROSE, I recently looked into SSD-only NAS boxes and was surprised by the dearth of options. Certainly seems like a great idea for, say, a 4TB NAS with no noise and high reliability. In any case, QNAP and Synology are the big names to look at.

With respect to categorization, that is done using the ‘Genre’ ID3 tag. Check out the shareware tool MP3tag, it is fabulous. https://www.mp3tag.de/en

@press250  - Thank you for your kind input, I will certainly look into QNAP and Synology. Just want a good basic NAS that is reliable and works. A 4TB SSD based NAS would be ideal for me, I’m opting for SSD for reliability but I guess platters would be fine too as long as I can manually maintain a back-up of all my files.

Good to know about mp3tag. However, I prefer accessing folders and sub-folders even if they show up as a list. Example my main music folder would be called MUSIC and then that would contain sub-folders and the sub-folders would contain music tracks. So, in a nutshell, a three level directory structure: Music → Sub Folders → Music Files.

Samazar wrote:

I use a Synology NAS, but only because I want the additional backup and ransomware security provided by a NAS solution.  (Synology is great because of the software, but there are others.)  Prior to using Synology I just used a Windows PC with the network settings set as a Private Network and shared the directories where the music was stored. (You can rip CDs or download music to a Windows PC, or Mac. Then, copy it to the NAS if that’s what you’re using.) Whatever you use, make sure the Sonos devices and the music “server” are on the same network.  You can certainly use an SSD drive, but a traditional internal hard drive works fine as well. (If you go the NAS route, be sure the NAS model you select will use SSD drives for storage.) Then, in Sonos’ Manage Library Settings, add (point to) the directories where your music is stored.  

Formerly on the PC and now in Synology, my music is separated under three base folders (MP3, Recorded, Hi-Res).  The next level of subfolders are the Artists, and the third level of subfolders are the Albums.   What I am calling the three base folders is the level where you could sort your music by Genre or whatever you choose.  (Note: You can choose to have all of your music in one base folder with an Artist subfolder and then the Albums subfolders below the Artists.)  The, the way it used to work in Sonos is you could select music by Artists, Albums, Composers, Genre or Songs and you would be selecting from the entire music library.  Alternatively, you could select music by folder first and then drill down into Artists, etc.  However, the alternative folder functionality is not working at all in the current software version.  This a huge limitation for me.  Unfortunately, the drilldown by folder first function is not available in SonoPhone. Until it is fixed in Sonos this is not available so keep that in mind.

The only other thing I’ll add is make sure your wireless network is working well wherever you intend to place wireless Sonos speakers, especially if you are using Hi-Res music. 

This is a lot of information.  I hope it’s enough to get you started.

@TGROSE - Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and useful response, I really appreciate it.

I would like a basic 4TB NAS drive, I was opting for SSD for reliability but have no problem with platters if I maintain my own backup of files on a separate back-up drive which could be a 4TB external USB3 drive - which raises a question: Would it be better to implement a RAID Level 1 topology? It feels safer to maintain a separate back-up drive.

I hope the developer of SonoPhone implements the ability to access music files in folders and subfolders in the near future. In your experience, do you think SonoPhone has a better interface? Has it ever stopped working when Sonos upgrades the firmware in their speakers?

Does Apple Music integrate and work inside of the SonoPhone app just like it does within the Sonos App?

Every single Sonos device in my system will be wired to a network switch. From what I understand, it’s now possible to deactivate SonosNet for each device within the Sonos App.

The issue of the app not connecting to devices, or starting to show the home screen and then switching to a no devices message, which needs an app restart or two as a temp fix, seems to come back after an app update.

The best fix (until the next app update) is an app re-install or at least to delete all app data. It’s necessary to go through some initial app screens but at least the app becomes stable again.

@jwsg i have tried multiple times to reconnect my Move2 by uninstalling the app and reinstalling. The Arc connects and shows no problem but the Move2 connection sounds make all the right noises but a. Does not appear on the App and b. The App remains stuck in ‘searching for nearby products mode’. 
This is basics that SONOS should be able to master before working on random nice to have things like alarm etc. I would argue that they currently have not retained a MVP and certainly no longer conform to the product sales description. 

This was just for an intermittent glitch with a working system, for when you launch the (android) app it shows the no devices message either right away or after a second or two and if you restart the app once or twice you can get the home screen OK. An app re-install or clear app data does seem to cure this specific glitch - which came back after the latest app update - but not being able to connect at all is likely something more fundamental.

@TGROSE - Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and useful response, I really appreciate it.

I would like a basic 4TB NAS drive, I was opting for SSD for reliability but have no problem with platters if I maintain my own backup of files on a separate back-up drive which could be a 4TB external USB3 drive - which raises a question: Would it be better to implement a RAID Level 1 topology? It feels safer to maintain a separate back-up drive.

I hope the developer of SonoPhone implements the ability to access music files in folders and subfolders in the near future. In your experience, do you think SonoPhone has a better interface? Has it ever stopped working when Sonos upgrades the firmware in their speakers?

Does Apple Music integrate and work inside of the SonoPhone app just like it does within the Sonos App?

Every single Sonos device in my system will be wired to a network switch. From what I understand, it’s now possible to deactivate SonosNet for each device within the Sonos App.

I agree on the separate back-up drive.  RAID-1 would avoid down time in the case of a single drive failure, but it’s not considered a backup because the device it’s in could fail leading to unpredictable results.  For reasons other than music, I use Synology’s SHR, which is essentially RAID-5.  It works well with Sonos. 

I was wrong about SonoPhone.  It does allow you to select the base folder first as well.  From there, you can select by Artists.  The original Sonos-2 interface was my favorite, but it was also the one I knew well.  I haven’t played with the SonoPhone settings much because when I installed SonoPhone it just configured itself from the Sonos app.  Even though there have been recent updates to the inoperable Sonos app, I still use SonoPhone to regain the music library functionality from my iPhone.  I have noticed there are differences between the two apps.  For instance, I set Sonos to update the library every day at 2 a.m.  SonoPhone just seems to have a manual Refresh button.  That may be intentional.  I assume SonoPhone is designed to not conflict with the Sonos app settings.  Therefore, I think it is best to leave both apps on your phone.  I’m not sure about the firmware question.  I have been using SonoPhone since early May, so if there have been any recent firmware updates they have not caused issues.  Apple Music works well for me in SonoPhone.  I use Apple Music only occasionally, so I’m not the best person to compare the two apps for that functionality.

My Sonos network configuration is probably considered outdated.  I still use Sonos Boost with a mixture of wired and wireless Sonos devices.  I can’t be 100% wired.  I’m not sure how 100% wired would work with Sonos speakers that can’t be wired like the Move.  Turning off wireless may limit their use?  I haven’t had any connectivity issues, so I haven’t followed the recent recommendations.

Having issues with the new app version oc too.

Alexa stopped working with the new app - meaning basically my whole smart home was stuck.

Wanted to tackle the issue - when trying to update via iOS I was always getting error 1000.

Afterwards i resetted my beam and wanted to set it up newly - well, still got error 1000 but now the beam is listed as “not registered” in my app. 

Finally i read some forum entries and they told me to download the windows app, maybe the update works there => on windows im getting error 1101 (i assume because the beam is not registered) and on iOS its still 1000. Nothing works anymore...

Support does not answer at all, waited for over 1h on the phone and in the chat but no answer. I even can not send an error protocol from windows as that is also throwing an issue.

Pretty frustrating idk if they will release a proper fix for this in the near future.

I will just add my name to the list of dissatisfied long term customers.  The prior software was perfect for my NAS Music Library and it was always ready to go when I was ready to go.  My wife just hates the new software because she can no longer search by artist when accessing the NAS Music Library.  I have 1400 artists so scrolling through all of those artists is just crazy.  We liked it when they had the alphabet on the side so you could choose an artist by letter when in the library.

And the fact that you have to wait for for a long time once in the app for the “Your Sources” to load and show the “Music Library” is ridicules.

Okay enough of my rant as I could go on.  Get your business in order SONOS before you start to lose a lot of your long term customers and new ones for that matter.

Whoever decide to implement the new software without proper testing should be fired.

Having issues with the new app version oc too.

Alexa stopped working with the new app - meaning basically my whole smart home was stuck.

Wanted to tackle the issue - when trying to update via iOS I was always getting error 1000.

Afterwards i resetted my beam and wanted to set it up newly - well, still got error 1000 but now the beam is listed as “not registered” in my app. 

Finally i read some forum entries and they told me to download the windows app, maybe the update works there => on windows im getting error 1101 (i assume because the beam is not registered) and on iOS its still 1000. Nothing works anymore...

Support does not answer at all, waited for over 1h on the phone and in the chat but no answer. I even can not send an error protocol from windows as that is also throwing an issue.

Pretty frustrating idk if they will release a proper fix for this in the near future.

could solve the issue the following way:

• shoot down WLAN router
  • Disconnect the power supply for every sonos device
  • restart router
  • restart sonos devices
  • open iOS app
  • update Beam (now working)
  • reconnect everything

Unbelievable how a company with such a great reputation for awesome products could screw the pooch so badly. Two major tenants of product innovation were violated: 1) never remove features unless there is good reason or they are no longer relevant and 2) never release a new version without thorough testing to ensure performance issues and bugs are on par with or improved over the pervious version.

I called the main number to ask what the deal is with this useless chunk of garbage and the first of seven options on the phone system addresses this debacle. There is also a page dedicated to appease the masses suffering with this egregious event: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates.

So it seems that the software team at Sonos realizes they screwed up and are working to rectify the situation. Let’s hope for something sooner versus later.

In short, my complaints:

1. No Android widget.
  2. Connectivity/performance of controls has gone from instantaneous to like communicating with the Voyager spacecraft. If there is any connectivity at all.
  3. UI/UX is less intuitive that the previous version.
  4. Regular loss of connectivity with my one and only Sonos system.

At some point, a CEO should go to jail for selling useless bricks to its users.

It’s been months since they said “give us a chance to fix this”. Where is the product I paid for?

The android app worked sporadically for a couple of weeks.  Now the last week it either cannot find the network or, when it does, cannot load anything on the home page.  BTW, everything else on the Android device works fine.  I must go to an IPad or to the old app on my PC to do anything at my house.  What has gone wrong now to cause this drop dead issue?

Frankly awful that Sonos have not responded on any forum about this!

I’ve downloaded sonophone for £2.99 and all the issues have gone away. It’s a pretty good app, no glitches and fully recommend it.

Shame Sonos can’t sort their own app out!

I quit Sonos.

Ordered new BLUESOUND streamers.

So much for fixing the App by mid June as was reported by Sonos techs.

I was an early adopter of Sonos, 15 years ago, when Sonos had an agreement with Deezer to stream in FLAC. 

Good bye Sonos 😁

We are not ready to throw away out speakers yet but if these concerns listed already by others are not addressed or acknowledged soon we will walk away from sonos. We cannot move from house to house with the new app, we cannot select from our favorites effortlessly, I want access to the old app. So many issues that I do not have time to list. If they do not acknowledge a significant mistake in this update and change things back shortly we are looking to move to bluesound as well. So irresponsible!!!!!  

I am ready to move to a different system if they can’t get this working.  I keep getting emails to upgrade components and am not going to do that.  The old software was seamless…this is bad and unreliable, hard to use.