Skip to main content

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

With latest app and system update still get random drop outs of random speakers when playing from Apple Music service. This never happened before the update, I know the app isn’t used when streaming so it’s a bit of a mystery as to what they have done to the network.

I have 4 Sonos devices of various types and have had a variety of connection and control issues for the last 10 years.  I had learned to live with the unreliability of the system.  Since the app update this has become significantly worse - I have permanently disconnected my Beam due to continual tv connection drop out/ins and generally have to randomly restart devices/phones/router to connect any of the others.  I don’t believe (based on many years experience) that Sonos will address (or even recognise) the issues.  I’d love to be proved wrong - meantime I’ll go restart everything again!

I have 4 Sonos devices of various types and have had a variety of connection and control issues for the last 10 years.  I had learned to live with the unreliability of the system.  Since the app update this has become significantly worse - I have permanently disconnected my Beam due to continual tv connection drop out/ins and generally have to randomly restart devices/phones/router to connect any of the others.  I don’t believe (based on many years experience) that Sonos will address (or even recognise) the issues.  I’d love to be proved wrong - meantime I’ll go restart everything again!

Dang, how is yours configured? Ive had sonos for 15+ years with minimal connection issues. The only time we did have some connection issue is when i had multiple devices hard wired, it was causing them to switch between masters or something. The other time it was a bad ethernet cable. 

Dang, how is yours configured? Ive had sonos for 15+ years with minimal connection issues. The only time we did have some connection issue is when i had multiple devices hard wired, it was causing them to switch between masters or something. The other time it was a bad ethernet cable. 

There are so many different things that can cause connection issues with Sonos. Some (like me) find that hardwiring is better, while others find wireless to their liking. 

@xnigelx, your issue could have been misconfigured STP settings that caused a broadcast storm. Managed switches need to be set correctly, especially when you have more than one in your network. I have 11 speakers, 5 of which are hardwired and I have no issues with connectivity. Not even with the new update.

@JimD, If you do not have  a speaker hardwired to your main router, not a meshed node, you may want to give that a try to see if your issues go away. If I had to reboot everything every time I wanted to use it, I probably would have gone another route and deal with wires everywhere. But Sonos has been trouble free for me for years.. and I like the clean look.

There are so many different things that can cause connection issues with Sonos. Some (like me) find that hardwiring is better, while others find wireless to their liking. 

@xnigelx, your issue could have been misconfigured STP settings that caused a broadcast storm. Managed switches need to be set correctly, especially when you have more than one in your network. I have 11 speakers, 5 of which are hardwired and I have no issues with connectivity. Not even with the new update.

@JimD, If you do not have  a speaker hardwired to your main router, not a meshed node, you may want to give that a try to see if your issues go away. If I had to reboot everything every time I wanted to use it, I probably would have gone another route and deal with wires everywhere. But Sonos has been trouble free for me for years.. and I like the clean look.

Yeah this was back using an unmanaged switch with like an airport extreme or something. Was back in the day. Sonos tech support went i to those "secret" web pages and saw that stuff. The devices are all close enough for the Sonos network  but some were attached to one device and others another. That might be an issue of the past though, who knows. Regardless its worth poking support a few times

Thanks for the feedback folks I really appreciate that you are so keen to help.  I am I feel beyond help - I’ve been at this for almost 10 years!  My Sonos is wireless (it was one of the main attractions wa-ay back when I bought the first device).  I never had problems with a single device and still think the individual devices are good kit - the app has always been a bit flakey.  I added a couple of devices when Sonos had it’s own network bridge - still no issues.  Sonos binned the bridge and around the same time I got a dual frequency router - then the issues started (system was only part functional for months).  Sonos blamed the router and BT blamed Sonos.  That eventually got quietly resolved by one of them (to the extent I could see my complete system again) but random connectivity issues persisted.  My Beam worked OK with my old non-smart TV but has never been stable with the new one.  I’ve been in touch with Support a few times over the various issues - they’ve never been much help (wiring a device to the router is the only fix I’ve not tried - it’s impractical for me).  The latest app now seems to  have made the connectivity issues an order of magnitude worse.  So I have a unusable Beam and another 3 devices I can sometimes connect.  I have given up attempting anything other than streaming radio since I can usually reconnect at the device (bypassing the app).  I notice the prices on eBay are pretty low now so looks like I can’t even sell what I have and replace!

Thanks for the feedback folks I really appreciate that you are so keen to help.  I am I feel beyond help - I’ve been at this for almost 10 years!  My Sonos is wireless (it was one of the main attractions wa-ay back when I bought the first device).  I never had problems with a single device and still think the individual devices are good kit - the app has always been a bit flakey.  I added a couple of devices when Sonos had it’s own network bridge - still no issues.  Sonos binned the bridge and around the same time I got a dual frequency router - then the issues started (system was only part functional for months).  Sonos blamed the router and BT blamed Sonos.  That eventually got quietly resolved by one of them (to the extent I could see my complete system again) but random connectivity issues persisted.  My Beam worked OK with my old non-smart TV but has never been stable with the new one.  I’ve been in touch with Support a few times over the various issues - they’ve never been much help (wiring a device to the router is the only fix I’ve not tried - it’s impractical for me).  The latest app now seems to  have made the connectivity issues an order of magnitude worse.  So I have a unusable Beam and another 3 devices I can sometimes connect.  I have given up attempting anything other than streaming radio since I can usually reconnect at the device (bypassing the app).  I notice the prices on eBay are pretty low now so looks like I can’t even sell what I have and replace!

I have to say, I see more post from  users with completely wireless systems that have connection issues, than those with one or mor speakers wired.. I would suggest you hardwire a main speaker, not a sub or surrounds, to see if that solves your problem. I have  had my soundbar hardwired since the day I first got one, and never had connection issues.

I read some of the reviews on this new app and agree. It is terrible!

Came here to see if I was the only one who hated the new app with a firey passion. I guess not. 

You can't even edit the queue anymore?!? 

Removing the most basic functions of an app and destroying your user's ability to keep systems they spent time creating is so irresponsible.

I was about to go crazy on some new products for Father's Day but I guess I’ll wait it out and see if they can pull out of this complete nosedive. 

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Just adding my voice to the disappointment of this “new” app - I have been a loyal customer and supporter of Sonos - this is the first time I have actually considered looking at other products - get together Sonos!!

Are Sonos going to fix the new app?

I’ve been holding off coming here as past interactions with any Sonos “affiliates” just leaves me fuming - “its a network issue” seems to be the goto excuse for them.

I’m in the same boat as the rest of you and have utterly had it with Sonos, I don’t think they even bother listening to customers and that old adage of putting monkeys with typewriters in a room and in time they’d produce Shakespere would be a better alternative to whatever the “developers” of this garbage think they’re putting out.  I mean, honestly, is there ANY testing being done??

My system has been rendered next to useless thanks to this last update and I’ve turned most of it off now, years ago Sonos was one of the go-to high end systems, now they’re just very expensive ornaments that I have.  I actively tell people not to bother with Sonos anymore.

And one more thing, this may just be me expecting Sonos to break every few days, but I can ALWAYS tell when the Sonos system needs an update as it will start playing up more than usual! Everytime.

Sonos, if you’re bothering to read any of this - listen to your customers while you still have them and sort this mess out.

Rant over.

What a mess ! Playlist don’t work , can’t add songs to que, volumn controls are wacky thank god I can play music thru Apple app

What a mess ! Playlist don’t work , can’t add songs to que, volumn controls are wacky thank god I can play music thru Apple app

I just created an account to support the community complaints. I have had sonos for 8 years now. 2 plugged in speakers and just added a roam 2 years ago. I have created playlists for family in all the genres and keep adding to them. I was very excited when I could finally delete some songs and add new ones. Now, I can't add or delete any songs ong with having to reset the app multiple times just to play anything. I am very disappointed. Doesn't really cost that much to make the old version of the app available for customers who want to keep that? This is very foolish so please put your pride or whatever this is away and listen to your customers. No, we don't care how great this new upgrade is, we simply do not want it!

Wasted too much time already trying to work around this mess. Hard to believe this was release as is ? I guess no testing before release, I like the speakers hardware but the software is a mess. Luckily Apple air play can play music thru the Sonos speakers but I guess I will need to rebuild my playlist’s and cannot adjust the speakers thru Apple or I would delete Sonos app.

I have about 17 Sonos components in three locations. Luckily I have an Android phone so I was able to side load the last more or less working app.

I've turned off auto updates as I already got dinged by a hardware update which caused the older app to no longer be able to update the local library ... which being able to support was the reason I went to Sonos when they first released components. I now have a single Mac laptop which is capable of updating the library.

I feel I've been more than a loyal customer. I went through the painful and costly update for S2.  I figured that based on my love of the system it was worth it to shell out the bucks to replace the older hardware 

Sonos then removed the ability to stream audio files from my phone. I have a NAS in my home but not in the two other locations.  Getting two additional NAS drives is not feasible.  Yet another great Sonos feature bites the dust.

Being a software developer for many decades I still can't believe the state of the new app. Quite frankly it's beyond belief.  I would have been ashamed to release it as an Alpha build. The public statements given in interviews that a 'few users' were upset is so blatantly false that it's mind boggling.  An app is only a 'work in progress' once it provides the promised and previous functionality. At that point people look forward to new features and don't have to sit patiently waiting to do something like being able to listen to their music 

I've been asked by a few people if I'll try out the new headphones.  The sound bar to headphone switch does sound interesting....but I have an Android phone and it doesn't yet work.  Why the hell would I buy something for a feature that will only work at some future date? In fact years ago I started purchasing Sonos after seeing a demo of the system working with a local audio library. If the controllers (remember the hardware controllers) were as pitiful as the current app I wouldn't be here now.

I will reiterate what has been written here multiple times.  Show a little bit of care to your loyal customers. I hope I'm wrong but as it's now June 14 I seriously doubt that the end of June will see us whole.

Does anyone have any contacts in the press/media?  Maybe if we got this out there then Sonos might actually do something.

The new app is terrible, it keeps losing my system even though I never connect to another one. When I try to change stations it tells me that 'something went wrong ' and won't make the change.  More than frustrating 😤 

We are considering getting rid of Sonos since the update. We moved a year ago and discovered our Gen 1 sound bar didn't work because our wifi is too powerful.  So we spent $400 and got a Beam. All was well until the update. I'm SO fed up!! It quits often and we need to "rejoin". We can no longer edit playlists - ie, if we're playing something from a Sonos playlist and want to also add it to say a Spotify playlist, we can no longer do this. We are so fed up. My husband is trying to rejoin as we speak and it's asking for a PIN. What pin?? We were never given or created a PIN. SONOS you better update and make this app more user friendly and with the same capabilities as before or else we're done!

I think the software engineers must have gotten bad Bonus this year so this is thier  playback

Been using Sonos since it first came out around 20+ years or so ago.  At the time of it’s launch and although in it’s infancy everything worked absolutely perfect for me and still using those same original products to this very day.  Unfortunately how times have changed and this latest update says everything.

Sonos keep it simple, the best things in life usually are; and remember that very old saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

I rest my case.

This reminds me of Windows 95 but that App was far better,

I was really happy with the previous version.  This one is totally unstable, and I can’t find workarounds.  It is a random behaviour for at least 10 minutes each time I start it.  Looking forward for a stable update.

Anyone recommend a replacement for Sonos I’ve been using it for 12 years upgraded kit when necessary however the latest software effort is a joke good job it’s only entertainment I doubt Sonos has the expertise to provide a decent product anymore - I haven’t seen any response that supports the users is Sonos going broke and unable to support anything anymore??