Skip to main content

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

Five straight days trying to figure out how to build a new playlist since my old playlist don’t work anymore. I’m wondering if I need to add a library or something that replaces the old paper playlist function

Just saw “Sonos Update 80.03.06” on apple store for iPhone.  Giving it a try.

I have the version 80.03.06 installed on iPhone and iPad for a few hours and it seems to have the volume control instability resolved.  I am controlling 20 Sonos speakers all together again.  Can’t talk about any other issues, but volume control is apparently back to normal.

Playlist not working, no options to remove or add to it ? 

Two of my 7 speakers just don’t change volume since the new update. They refuse to change volume with the other grouped speakers in the new app on iOS.

Two speakers are simply not responsive at all to the master volume slider.

Each can be adjusted manually, but trying to lower or raise the volume of the group sees a Sonos One and the Move 2 just not change volume at all.

No surprises that the old desktop app for OSX which I refuse to update continues to change the master volume perfectly.

Two of my 7 speakers just don’t change volume since the new update. They refuse to change volume with the other grouped speakers in the new app on iOS.

Two speakers are simply not responsive at all to the master volume slider.

Each can be adjusted manually, but trying to lower or raise the volume of the group sees a Sonos One and the Move 2 just not change volume at all.

No surprises that the old desktop app for OSX which I refuse to update continues to change the master volume perfectly.

Strange, I’m not seeing any issues changing group volume with the new Sonos App on iOS. See attached. Have you tried a network & controller device reboot to see if that perhaps might fix your issue?

Another user who can’t connect to their system.  And having issues switching between 2 different systems. 

Just gonna use airplay.  

Super poor Sonos

What a disaster this new app!

I recommend Sonos for a lot of friends during the years, always pointing how good the system and the app was, but not it is a nightmare!

Today I am not being able to see my products in the Sonos iPhone app, I can’t even delete the app because it is no longer showing in App Store!

What a wrong move, they are trying to win new customers with the headphones but everybody is only talking bad things about the system and the brand. Worst market move ever!!!!

Cannot rebuild any new playlists now that my old playlist don’t work anymore. I never seen a software update on any product this badly executed. 

Cannot rebuild any new playlists now that my old playlist don’t work anymore. I never seen a software update on any product this badly executed. 

Exactly!

This will be studied in the future was a big failure.

How could that happen?

No one that were a Sonos user had access to the beta to point out all the problems? Not only we lost functions, but I are now facing a lot of instability. 

Anyone recommend a replacement for Sonos I’ve been using it for 12 years upgraded kit when necessary however the latest software effort is a joke good job it’s only entertainment I doubt Sonos has the expertise to provide a decent product anymore - I haven’t seen any response that supports the users is Sonos going broke and unable to support anything anymore??

I have 23 Sonos devices on my home, and I am done with Sonos.  I have researched Bluesound and they seem committed to supporting their products (i.e., no S-1 to S-2 fiasco) and they are considered to be audiophile quality speakers.  They are affiliated with NAD, a respected company in the industry.  I will replace Sonos by each floor of my home as I probably don’t need to connect to the entire house at one time anyway.  The reviews of Bluesound’s software are encouraging, especially their newest release.  Some people have reported connectivity issues, but you never know if it’s their network causing the issue.   My view is I have nothing to lose - I know Sonos is going to be the worst!   

In the meantime, I have downloaded a $2.99 app on my iPhone called SonoPhone.  It works on my Sonos system.  I have tried to use the Sonos app again after they announced software updates, but it still doesn’t work for my music library.  Totally moronic!!!

I have 23 Sonos devices on my home, and I am done with Sonos.  I have researched Bluesound and they seem committed to supporting their products (i.e., no S-1 to S-2 fiasco) and they are considered to be audiophile quality speakers.  They are affiliated with NAD, a respected company in the industry.  I will replace Sonos by each floor of my home as I probably don’t need to connect to the entire house at one time anyway.  The reviews of Bluesound’s software are encouraging, especially their newest release.  Some people have reported connectivity issues, but you never know if it’s their network causing the issue.   My view is I have nothing to lose - I know Sonos is going to be the worst!   

In the meantime, I have downloaded a $2.99 app on my iPhone called SonoPhone.  It works on my Sonos system.  I have tried to use the Sonos app again after they announced software updates, but it still doesn’t work for my music library.  Totally moronic!!!

I have 25 Sonos products, 18 music services installed in the new Sonos App and no issues seeing my NAS local library - the only issue I see, is that the new App is a little slow in some places, compared to the earlier S2 App, but I have no difficulty in playing to, or grouping, my speakers. The local library tracks play absolutely fine too.

Lucky you!   You must work for Sonos!   Because the software S..ks!   

Lucky you!   You must work for Sonos!   Because the software S..ks!   

Nope I am retired and live in the UK, but I assume you work for Bluesound.

lol!

i don’t own a single Bluespund product yet!   I should add that I use a combination of Hi-Def (24-48) and MP3 music -  about a 1,000 albums.  All worked well before the May 2024 update and still works well with SonoPhone.  If you are not experiencing loss functional then you are a basic user.  Good for you.  I know people that primarily use music services and they are fine too.  But, if you are a high-end user or think that you could be at some point you should consider another product.  I mentioned Bluesound because that is who I am focused on based on my review.  

“Functionality”

My local library is a mere 25,697 tracks, but I stopped adding to it some years ago as I’ve switched to using Amazon Music Unlimited and Apple Music streaming subscriptions instead. The NAS library though continues to work fine and my own .m3u library playlists all work too.

I’m sure Bluesound is fine and doesn’t have a buggy POS app like Sonos. But this seems like a big expense and effort since as you say a $2.99 app gives most functionality backs and the Sonos app will get better albeit very slowly. 

Sonos already has your money you are only hurting your wallet. 

If you have Sonos units with line ins you could also get a WiiM device or echo dot and forego the Sonos front end all together while they fix it. 

And the locally held NAS library works just as well on my iPad controller too.

I’m sure Bluesound is fine and doesn’t have a buggy POS app like Sonos. But this seems like a big expense and effort since as you say a $2.99 app gives most functionality backs and the Sonos app will get better albeit very slowly. 

Sonos already has your money you are only hurting your wallet. 

If you have Sonos units with line ins you could also get a WiiM device or echo dot and forego the Sonos front end all together while they fix it. 

I’m not so sure it will solve @TGROSE’s library access issue though, as the Sonos App works fine with SMB v2 (or higher) shared local NAS libraries in most cases and there’s very few things these days that support ‘http’ or SMB v1 protocols if that’s perhaps the issue here? In fact I suspect Sonos are one of the few companies that were supporting those sharing protocols up until they released their new Sonos controller App. I also struggle to find an iOS App these days that support those older protocols aswell.

He says it’s working well with SonoPhone so it doesn’t sound like a smbv1 issue though. But maybe they can clarify. 

Yhe library link appears and disappears for many, it’s an app issue not smbv1. 

Bluesound doesn’t support smbv1. 

To follow up the discussion on my network, I’m on a 6E network - that’s not an issue.  My Sonos issues are directly related to the new iPhone software, which I “resolved” by using SonoPhone.  Fortunately, I did not have auto updates on my Mac or PCs.  I have not performed software updates on them.  Therefore, Sonos works properly using that software as well.  My preferred device to control Sonos is my iPhone and it is really annoying that Sonos knowingly rushed out with an inferior software product to release new product at the expense of its existing customers.  They called it courageous!  To add insult to injury, they sent out emails to existing customers promoting the new products.

I wouldn’t know that Bluesound existed if they didn’t drive me to research alternative products.  I agree with the comment about being invested in Sonos, which is why I resolved my issue using SonoPhone.  But, I refuse to ever spend another dime on a Sonos product - a company that does not value existing customers.  I get it - they make their money on new sales.  But, they disregarded the existing customer base that recommends them to others and purchases additional Sonos equipment.  Also, they are a public company, with stock performance issues.  They completely disregarded that some of the Sonos power users they especially impacted with the inferior software are also part of the investment community.  How moronic is that?! 

By the way, I previously under-estimated my Sonos music library.  I have a little over 47,000 songs in the Sonos library.  Sure, Apple Music was a short-term resolution for me.  But, you don’t need Sonos to play Apple Music through Bluetooth.  

I’m not so sure it will solve @TGROSE’s library access issue though, as the Sonos App works fine with SMB v2 (or higher) shared local NAS libraries in most cases and there’s very few things these days that support ‘http’ or SMB v1 protocols if that’s perhaps the issue here? In fact I suspect Sonos are one of the few companies that were supporting those sharing protocols up until they released their new Sonos controller App. I also struggle to find an iOS App these days that support those older protocols aswell.

Hi Ken, have a look at this, it might be useful for you and other members who need to retain support for SMB v1 protocols:-

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

I’m not so sure it will solve @TGROSE’s library access issue though, as the Sonos App works fine with SMB v2 (or higher) shared local NAS libraries in most cases and there’s very few things these days that support ‘http’ or SMB v1 protocols if that’s perhaps the issue here? In fact I suspect Sonos are one of the few companies that were supporting those sharing protocols up until they released their new Sonos controller App. I also struggle to find an iOS App these days that support those older protocols aswell.

Hi Ken, have a look at this, it might be useful for you and other members who need to retain support for SMB v1 protocols:-

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

If I read that link correctly, that’s the wrong way around isn’t it for the new Sonos App? .. it’s  from a user here in the community (Stanley_4) and allows a higher SMB share to be accessed via an intermediary SMBv1 server… the new Sonos App will simply see the share directly without the raspberry pi setup mentioned. The suggestion is ideal though for S1 App users.

The biggest annoyance for me is it always seems to need the app to be launched at (least) twice to work.

If it says no products found then it often then corrects itself but if it starts up showing services etc then it usually just goes to saying nothing found straight after.

The music library also appears on the app at random regardless of whether the NAS is actually powered on but when the app decides to show it (but with no album art) then it will play music files.