Answered

New Sonos App broke my entire system. It is unstable

Userlevel 6
Badge

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

icon

Best answer by Weekendhacker 9 May 2024, 22:09

View original

127 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Android Roll back steps to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Userlevel 1

I’m also in the same boat with the new app not working on my iPhone. I have found that you can manage a few things on your system from the sonos web app (https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app)

Userlevel 2

I had to reinstall and reset the app too. Now it finds my speakers. But I can't access my music library anymore. So my several 1000 € system cant do anything anymore. We have sonos boxes in any room and they just put out a new app that cannot access my NAS's share anymore… The whole part of connecting via SMB is not implemented anymore…. They should be forced to take back all my sonos components by law...

Userlevel 1

Awesome, thanks for the new app. Glad I have speakers I can't use now. 

Since update my sonos app I can’t use for the radio broadcast but when I use Youtube and apple music still can find my sonos one. I think update has a bug or software problem. I hope to get the soulution from Sonos ASAP!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had to reinstall and reset the app too. Now it finds my speakers. But I can't access my music library anymore. So my several 1000 € system cant do anything anymore. We have sonos boxes in any room and they just put out a new app that cannot access my NAS's share anymore… The whole part of connecting via SMB is not implemented anymore…. They should be forced to take back all my sonos components by law...

I was able to delete and reinstall my music library using the MacOS app on my computer.  The library is now working on the phone app.  Best of luck.

S2 app on Android is also useless. I cannot access any of my extensive library on my NAS or my other shared network drives. As soon as one phone upgraded, I lost access to my Play 3 pair and needed to unplug them several times before they would connect. My Roams do not show up either - no mention that they are powered down. When you turn off a Roam, it disappears from the app.

There is no way (that I could find) to add a song to the end of the queue .

The colour of the app icon means that it is invisible on my dark theme background. It now looks like the S1 icon. 

I am using the computer program on my windows machine to access my NAS library, but the Android show NO MUSIC playing (and says the queue is empty!). (Until I turned on a Roam - then magically it updated the music playing).

There is no way I will upgrade my computer’s program until the app is fixed..

You would think that an extensive change like this would have ample support videos and “how to” FAQ’s released in advance. Instead all the FAQs are all outdated.

….

Okay - it is an hour later since the shock of no music and using my computer to access the sonos system and now I notice that under “my sources” that my Music Library has now shown up, but “something went wrong” is displayed whenever I click on it.

Do I wait for the new system to update the library or is SONOS completely broken?????

Have been having these issues even before recent update. App continually unable to find system. Restart modem and router. Works  but then the next time I use app it requires another reboot. 
However, using the Sonos Web App it works as it should. Ran a diagnostic and Sonos told me that there are 2 different IP address. Which there should be a different IP for each device! Talked with IP and they determined that the problem is with the app. 

The waiting time for a live tech is unbearably long and having to reboot equipment each time I want to  listen to $700 speakers is a no go.

Interesting that the router device list includes CONNECTED Sonos speakers. If I hit the play button on a speaker it will play music, but only on one speaker. I am beginning to think that Sonos has sold a bill of goods.

Wish I could say reading all has put me somewhat at ease, but it’s a bit more frustrating that despite all the Sonos patron loyalty, Sonos themselves have yet to resolve or let alone even just respond with a “hey all, apologies for the inconvenience, thank you for your patience, we’re on it”

Yeah thank you Sonos 🖕

Userlevel 3
Badge

So this morning all my devices were back connected!!!  Then an hour later (not touched phone at all) gone 🤬

Userlevel 3

The Sonos software has always been the weakest and worst part of their product. And of course with each update, their programing techs make the app more confusing and less functional as they force their users to have less and less control over their own systems and setups. When they announced and hyped a new version of the controller app, I felt sick to my stomach and knew it was going to be a disaster. But honestly, they know they have a good speaker system, so I don't think they really give a sh*t about their customers, and take us for granted. One thing I would suggest for management to consider next time is to keep the previous version of the app available and allow customers the option of rolling back to something that is functional. In reality it's not the sinking of the Titanic. But in virtual terms it is.

Glad I read these as thought it was just me. I want the old app back. I was in a happy place 2 days ago and now it's all messed up. I still  have the old app on my iPad so i can set my alarm still - anyone know where that went? Also my playbar is connecting to spotify but the tv connection which says its connected isn’t working.

And can't get someone to speak to so came here to moan.

and the new app is rubbish - nothing works

Userlevel 2

It’s complete trash. I can’t even search my Music Library that I share from my Windows PC via SMB.

If there is a way to have the search actually search my music library, it’s not obvious. It wants to search services, like Pandora, which I don’t use.

My exact issue. Same as you I have all my music CDs ripped to a local library (SMB on a NAS server)… this is my PRIMARY source of music, services are secondary.

Also…. none of the artwork for my Music Library displays anymore, which was fine with the old app.

Its like the code was not tested at all.

New APP sucks. It used to be easy and predictable. Now I ask a simple question - what the hell happened to Que’s? I have hundreds of albums in digital form on my own server and I now can no longer just add an album to a Que. it seems that functionality has been tossed. 
I rarely stream. I have my own content I want to play. 
please tell me how to do this or fix the damn app. I have thousands of dollars wrapped up in your products over 15+ years. It seems that with each “upgrade” we lose the core of Sonos. Playing music. 

Exact same for me. It's like Sonos is trying to force people into using a streaming service. If that's how I wanted to listen to music I wouldn't have Sonos!!!!  The entire music selection function is non-existent for the music library. Mine is organized specifically so that I can just play everything under a top level folder because of sonos playlist limitations, now the long press option to add to queue, replace queue etc. is gone. I got all of my units from Costco over the years and I'm seriously considering trying to return them all. 

S2 app on Android is also useless. I cannot access any of my extensive library on my NAS or my other shared network drives. As soon as one phone upgraded, I lost access to my Play 3 pair and needed to unplug them several times before they would connect. My Roams do not show up either - no mention that they are powered down. When you turn off a Roam, it disappears from the app.

The colour of the app icon means that it is invisible on my dark theme background. It now looks like the S1 icon. 

I am using the computer program on my windows machine to access my NAS library, but the Android show NO MUSIC playing (and says the queue is empty!). (Until I turned on a Roam - then magically it updated the music playing).

You would think that an extensive change like this would have ample support videos and “how to” FAQ’s released in advance. Instead all the FAQs are all outdated.

….

Okay - it is an hour later since the shock of no music and using my computer to access the sonos system and now I notice that under “my sources” that my Music Library has now shown up, but “something went wrong” is displayed whenever I click on it.

Do I wait for the new system to update the library or is SONOS completely broken?????

Ccompletely broken 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos, it takes “courage” to admit a mistake and do the right thing by putting Gold S2 App back on Apple App Store… not double-down and pat yourselves on the back for a complete revamp of your core value proposition - Sonos Ecosystem - just because you need something to run your newly launched headphones next month. Ask Apple how their $3B purchase of Beats Headphones worked out for them. Headphones… Headphones!!!! Like no one else sells headphones that work well with your phone already. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Come on Sonos. Give us back the beige / gold app which actually works. I’ve reset the whole system and the the speakers keep disappearing even after factory reset and re connecting them one at a time. It’s not working at all. Please sort it! 

Userlevel 1

What FU mess good job rendering my system useless.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It seems like it creates a separate WiFi network on my WiFi places on iPhone which doesn’t connect to the main WiFi network. It worked for about a minute then stopped again. Weird. 

Does anyone else have the problem where you are stuck in an update loop?  My app says that my system needs to be updated, click update, says its updated but before I can even get into the app it says my system need to be updated, and the loop continues.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Mine is now saying needs to connect to local network but won’t let me so on a loop. Frustrating is an understatement 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Mine is now saying needs to connect to local network but won’t let me so on a loop. Frustrating is an understatement 

FWIW I turned all speakers off, left them for about 30 mins then slowly started booting up.  Power on, hold button down until white/ orange flash. Started with Beam as my Play 1s are THAT old!  Then sub mini. Then p1. Then added as surrounds etc.  All now connected and working as a unit BUT very laggy app so don’t be surprised if you change the volume and takes 15 seconds to react. I’m off to switch off automatic updates!  Hope this helps someone. Good luck 🤞 

Userlevel 3

Does anyone else have the problem where you are stuck in an update loop?  My app says that my system needs to be updated, click update, says its updated but before I can even get into the app it says my system need to be updated, and the loop continues.  

Hah! You’re the lucky one!!! Turn off Updates and never turn it on again. In 10 years you’ll have the only functional Sonos system.

Userlevel 3

….

Completely broken…but you wouldn’t know it from the Sonos response. Crickets. Hopefully they’re trying to fix ‘completely broken’ but it never should  have happened.

Userlevel 3

Sonos, it takes “courage” to admit a mistake and do the right thing by putting Gold S2 App back on Apple App Store… not double-down and pat yourselves on the back for a complete revamp of your core value proposition - Sonos Ecosystem - just because you need something to run your newly launched headphones next month. Ask Apple how their $3B purchase of Beats Headphones worked out for them. Headphones… Headphones!!!! Like no one else sells headphones that work well with your phone already. 

Shareholder…wow!?! I’ve had Sonos products since 2007…but you make me feel good (apologize for the Schadenfreude). We’re actually in this together so the Schadenfreude is a little fleeting and misplaced, but felt good for a millisecond as I fight to find components and control the ones that are connected.