Answered

New Sonos App

Userlevel 3

Does anyone know when this terrible new app will be fixed or updated?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 May 2024, 03:59

View original

39 replies

Userlevel 7

See this post from Sonos:

Userlevel 3

Thanks for sharing this link. Obviously I’m not the only customer who is completely baffled about they could have possibly imagined this was an improvement for their customers. 

Userlevel 1

Total crap with the new app cant event play all media files longer need select one by one to play, Sonos was a good brand before but the brand really loses my interest when it just getting so BAD.

Userlevel 1

I was considering expanding my Solar System but this recent update sucks. Buying additional products is out of the question.

I agree completely with the comments above.The new app is a mess it is so difficult to find anything or do anything that I used to do with ease on the previous version. Combine new app with new broadband provider and having to try and em reset up system not fun. Role it back and let users choose if they want to upgrade as the old version was great.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t even begin to say how utterly rubbish the new app is, at least on Android. It’s slow, clunky, non-intuitive, dysfunctional. And that’s before I started reading all the reviews about missing stuff. It shouldn’t be fixed. It can’t be fixed. It needs to be completely scrapped, the older version reinstated, anyone who had anything to do with it fired, and if you REALLY think you can get past this debacle, start all over again.  

Userlevel 2

Does anyone know when this terrible new app will be fixed or updated?

No URT??

The people behind this stillborn abomination should be fired! They definitely wouldn't hold down a job in a proper business, if they launched a product as bad as this.

Do the right thing Sonos, roll back. And when you've got something that is at least as good as the old one, offer it as an optional move, don't drop it on an unsuspecting customer base.

Userlevel 2

I couldn’t agree more with all of this. What a step back!

Userlevel 1

The new app is awful how can we go back to what working well

Userlevel 1

I agree, the new app is a disaster.  Unless this is fixed my 6 Sonos speakers are garbage.  Not buying any more Sonos products.

Badge

Can you please reinstate the numerical volume readout in the APP when adjusting the volume in a particular room or better yet introduce a volume readout when adjusting three TV Volume please?

Sonos doesn’t seem to reply in this thread? Still looking for my mute button in the new app...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

They are using their new headphone with noise (complaint) cancellation.

1 STAR RATING PLEASE...

What is the current version for a MacBook?  I assume it’s not 16.2.

Userlevel 1

Give us the old app back-please! Worked just fine and MUCH more user friendly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Can I just ask one genuine question here.  I do get that a lot of people are having issues with the app, and those that are not having issues still have some lost functionality until they get added back in.  I get that.  I’m not questioning any of that.

But some people say that the new app is unintuitive or not user friendly.  I’m curious why people think that.  It’s different, sure - but it took me all of 2 minutes to find my way around.  I mean it’s literally all on one screen — all of your favourites and services and swipe up for all of your rooms.  I’m not talking about setting up systems or other peripheral activities here, but in day to day use what is difficult or unintuitive about the new interface ?  I am genuinely interested in properly reasoned explanations here.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can I just ask one genuine question here.  I do get that a lot of people are having issues with the app, and those that are not having issues still have some lost functionality until they get added back in.  I get that.  I’m not questioning any of that.

But some people say that the new app is unintuitive or not user friendly.  I’m curious why people think that.  It’s different, sure - but it took me all of 2 minutes to find my way around.  I mean it’s literally all on one screen — all of your favourites and services and swipe up for all of your rooms.  I’m not talking about setting up systems or other peripheral activities here, but in day to day use what is difficult or unintuitive about the new interface ?  I am genuinely interested in properly reasoned explanations here.  

I would agree that it being different is probably the number 1 issue.

Number 2 is the missing features which simply mean that people are going to the app to do something that the app cannot do.

The “focused” speaker/room gets confusing if you have Sonos in multiple rooms. I have it in 6 rooms meaning it is easy to get things wrong and start music in the wrong room.

Putting alarms on the settings page is illogical most people will want to set alarms for a room/speaker so put it on there.

It just is not that customisable yet. Sonos pushed this benefit but they have a long way to go.

The order of rooms/speakers is a case in point. I would prefer they were in alphabetical order but I am stuck with:

• Selected first
  • Any active next in alphabetical order
  • Inactive last in alphabetical order

The result is the order changes all the time.

There are others but I think that gives you an indication of why I think the new UI is disappointing.

Userlevel 1

The absence of features that were present initially is the biggest disappointment for me. My playlists aren’t as useable, other control features seem to be absent. I’m using a iOS Apple phone product.

My Sonos--Browse--Rooms--Search-- Settings.

These buttons at the bottom were always there. And did 95% of what I needed daily.

They never moved no mater what screen I was in.

They are gone,,,, WTF?

@Andrew-s while I have gotten it up and running it was not without it’s difficulties.  I have just an Era 100 on the S2 app and it literally couldn’t find it after several different attempts to add the speaker.  On my S1 I have 10 devices, and only half can move to S2.  On the new app and era 100 I did finally get it figured out and added.  Once added, the speaker would only play from the Sonos radio and if I selected anything from Apple music it simply played nothing and blinked through each song in the currently playing screen.  Lastly, once I got past that by resetting the app and reattaching Apple it will now play music only there is no way to build a play list, add to the queue, edit the queue, play next and a host of other features that on my S1 app are parts of the main reason I love the Sonos system.  Lastly, even if I get past that, searching music could be made better again by allowing me to search and denote what I’m using to search like song, artist, album and so on.  The returned results are clunky and much more random than I got in the S1 app.  So while this app “may be usable” it is surely not great.  Maybe you’ve only used the S2 app so you don’t know what you’re missing or how much worse it is to use.   I know that if I continue with S2 as is I can skip the fun nights of multiple people over that have the app installed each selecting from their personal favorites to build a queue that is unique and entertaining.  

My Sonos--Browse--Rooms--Search-- Settings.

These buttons at the bottom were always there. And did 95% of what I needed daily.

They never moved no mater what screen I was in.

They are gone,,,, WTF?

Do you know that tabs bar was despised when it first came out (as was most of the app overhaul from 6 years ago).  People hate, hate, hated the tabs bar.  They also hated the color scheme, the number of clicks, the number of swipes, the grouping features, the way the app changed rooms, and there were thousands of more posts (and hundreds of threads) on how “unintuitive, clunky, inelegant” the new app was, along with very familiar sounding “Allow us to rollback to the last version!!!!!” pleas.  Fast forward to today, and that “unintuitive, clunky, inelegant” app is the one people want back.  

Give it time, you will get used to it (just like users did last time). 

Does Sonos have ANY idea just how bad the user experience (ie, your customer experience) is with the new app?? Just about every possible aspect of it is worse than before. The UI is terrible, features are missing but worst of all it just doesn’t work! It takes ages to connect to my system and it’s then completely random as to whether the app will actually control anything. I simply shake my head that a consumer electronics company can release something this bad. Your CEO needs to go, at least.

Regardless of where anyone stands regarding sentiment of the new app, what’s not debatable is how poorly it performs. Fix this or connect with blockbuster employees on LinkedIn 

I cant even open the new sonos app on my android phone after trying everything support says to try, and now I am listening to music on the sonos support phone line for the past 40 minutes, this ridiculous after spending over $2000 on sonos equipment. After this experience with sonos, I will not be purchasing anything else from sonos unless they step up and help all of us sonos customers. HELP!!

This app is horrible!!!  I finally was able to get my equipment to show up on the app but it does not allow to control volume on more than one of my speakers.  When coupled with other rooms unable to uncouple …..the most frustrating thing EVER!!!