Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

We know this is a highly requested feature and that many of you are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans. 

We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future.  We are always testing ways to improve your experience with Sonos, and while we do not comment on what we're working on, this group will be among the first to know when we have more to share on this topic. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope you'll continue to do so in the future.

John, please comment to this:

Official Sonos app now closed beta in the Windows Phone Store

http://wmpoweruser.com/official-sonos-app-now-closed-beta-in-the-windows-phone-store/
We know this is a highly requested feature and that many of you are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans. 

We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future.  We are always testing ways to improve your experience with Sonos, and while we do not comment on what we're working on, this group will be among the first to know when we have more to share on this topic. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope you'll continue to do so in the future.

You expect a comment about a "closed" beta test? Really? Seriously?
Userlevel 3
Badge

@ Jgatie
You my friend could really do with getting a life!
Why do you cruise threads that obviously don't concern you, on a website who's owners aren't paying you?
It is not unreasonable to ask for comment on developments of the most requested feature on this website. Plenty of companies would be happy to respond to requests for information. Sonos is the exception, not the rule, in this regard as someone clearly thinks it adds a certain cachet. What they fail to realise is that unlike other companies in the technology sector, who we know will be releasing new products and features regularly, Sonos just frustrates everyone with an unnecessary wall of silence and release new products/features with the speed of an asthmatic tortoise!

There is a reason they have "private" and "public" betas.  It's not too far a stretch to question why one would expect a comment on something which is "private" as opposed to something which is "public".  Never mind industry specific terms, the very definition of the word "private" should answer that question for anyone who is not a thick headed fool.

And as soon as "other companies in the technology sector, who we know will be releasing new products and features regularly" release a multi-room streaming device with a Windows mobile app, let me know.  Because it will be the very first one.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well, they sort of got caught with their pants down; there is no denying they are working on a WP app, the proof is out there.

They could have just answered: "we are indeed testing an app for windows phone, no further details will be revealed at this stage"

That shows a lot more respect to their customers.

Anyone with any knowledge about Sonos' beta testing knows that they never, ever, ever discuss beta testing until it is made public, regardless of any leaks which may happen.  The logic of asking them to break this policy in this particular case is certainly up for questioning.

@Tom. Thanks for your support.

A closed beta means that only a selected group of people can use the software for beta testing. But that doesn’t mean SONOS can’t communicate about it. Most company’s would be happy to tell their costumers that they started a closed beta. Especially if these customers are waiting 2 years for this. So I still think John should comment about it. Just tell us that it is a closed beta and that it is conducted by SONOS inc. Why keep silent ?
Userlevel 3
Badge

@ Jgatie
They should break this policy because people on this thread have been waiting for years, watching less popular ideas get implemented.
I recall Soundcloud support was marked as "planned" for a long time. Why did Sonos "comment on future features" with that one?
Your comment about other multi-room streaming devices is also pure obscuration as that was not my point. My point was that companies can pull of this kind of secrecy when everybody knows there will be new products released. Apple can get away with it because everyone knows that they release new features/products every year, usually even around the same time of year. This is true for most big tech companies and is a well known hype generator. Sonos is clearly not looking to generate hype with this method because their releases are erratic and infrequent. So my point remains, it is a frustration generator.
As you may be able to tell I am clearly frustrated.
Apologies for the personal attack, I was frustrated, you get the idea!
PS Denon have announced that WP support is a future goal.

The reason Soundcloud was commented on is because Sonos declared it public.  Everything that comes out is eventually declared public, and subsequently marked as "Planned"; as will the Windows app, if it is put into public beta.  Until that time, Sonos is not going to comment on it.  Period. So you can complain about it, or you can accept the situation and/or glean what you will from the unauthorized leaks.

And Sonos' releases are not erratic, nor infrequent.  They average 3-4 a year, and have stuck to that average for the last 6 years. 

As far as the personal attack goes, I'm used to it.  Personal attacks are often the last bastion of defense for a losing argument, so I see it as a compliment.
Userlevel 3
Badge

You may often be correct, however my personal attack was also my opening gambit, I would hope I'd not been forced to my last bastion before I'd even begun! Anyway the apology was genuine, accept it or not.
I accept Sonos have every right conceivable to stick to their policy of silence, my main argument is that it is extremely counter-productive for them as a company for it gains them nothing but loses them plenty of good-will. I am aware that I can't force them to do anything, I shall continue to complain in the absence of any other course of action however.
I was not referring to updates to the existing apps either. Maintenance is not a new release/feature in my book. Version 5.0 was the last major release of anything if you think about it, 5.1-5.3 have largely been about perfecting the new UI, moving things around rather then adding anything.
So in reality Sonos releases have been erratic from the Playbar in early 2013 was it? Then the Play:1 in late 2013, followed by v5 in mid 2014 followed by nothing. I'm struggling to see any frequency there.

You and I have a different view of "maintenance".  In my opinion, any added feature/function is not merely maintenance, and should be considered an actual release .  Maybe not a major release, but a release.  And judging from the release notes, there have been features added 3-4 times a year at regular intervals.

As to the continuing complaining . . . need I actually quote Einstein's thoughts on insanity? 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge

My point is that no major new features have been implemented since v5. Mearly UI tweaking to address problems arising from the initial release. As for Einstein I intend to use a slightly different word order each time. Should just about keep me sane...maybe!
Userlevel 2

It's been a year now since Sonos opened up the Survey Monkey to collect feedback from the community about Windows Phone. I've heard several rumours online about Sonos privately testing a Windows Phone app internally but it would be nice if they could just say something publicly.

Even if they just simply said "we're actually looking at it" would give a sense of optimism for everyone.

I think I have said this on here before but I for one would really like to see the results of their survey.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos really needs the Windows Phone App. Android is rubbish and I am moving from Apple to Windows with the 8.1 OS being really excellent and Win 10 having a lot of promise. Since the latest IOS updates I am having major problems connecting to my Sonos system from my iPhone and iPod, although the iPad still seems to work. Customer support hasn't been able to help. We have three phones in the household, one has been transferred to Windows and the other two will follow soon.

Come on Sonos release a Windows Phone App soon - surely you know it's necessary. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
So the app is in testing. But seems to be a private beta. It gives me an error message saying I'm not allowed to install it. Is there no way to get into this test. Following the app feedback or seems to run quite stable. And an alpha or beta app is much better than nothing... We are waiting for years for this app. http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=bc894b2b-3ab6-46cd-82ee-c18927f437f5
An Alpha is usually a closed test.  I am excited to see that though.
Badge
If you haven't already signed this, please do so.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-phone-8-windows-8-platform...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Brent - I don't mean not to support your petition.... but doesn't the Application being found to be currently in testing kinda mean the petition isn't needed any longer.
Badge
Brent - I don't mean not to support your petition.... but doesn't the Application being found to be currently in testing kinda mean the petition isn't needed any longer.

Chris - Just because there is currently an app listed in the Windows Phone Store does not mean that Sonos will actually release the app to the public.  So far Sonos as pretty much ignored Windows Phone and Windows 8 users for over two years now and there is an "Alpha" app that is listed in the store  since I think at least Dec 20014 that Sonos does not even seem to want to admit they have there or that they are even working on an app.  They released a survey over a year ago that they also don't seem to acknowledge that anything has been done with it. 

Also Sonos response just one month ago replied to this thread with "We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future."  Does that sound like Sonos has a plan to actually release that app to the public?  Granted they also say they don't comment about things that they are working on but they could at least let us know that they is something in the works by responding better to their paying customers. 

Sonos could just continue to turn their back to their customers that use Windows Phone and never release the alpha version of the app that is in the store to the public.  Just because a company submits an app they are not required to release it to the public.  Sonos may just end up thinking there is no demand for the app and could just permanently leave it as it is now were no one can access it or just decide to remove it and forget about it all together.  The point of the petition is to show that there are customers of theirs that want and need an app to use on the mobile platform that they have chosen to use and hopefully get Sonos to get off their rear end and make a better effort to get an app released.  So to answer your question I think the petition will no longer be needed once Sonos releases the app to the public, until then the petition is needed.

What I'm wondering is how the ones that seem to have the app and have left comments on the apps store listing got selected to have access to the app.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I really think that some information is owed at this point. The alpha app has not been updated in over a month, not a good sign, and this thread despite having been the most popular for as long as anyone can remember is seemingly wilfully neglected by Sonos employees. They only now emerge to shoot down expectations...

I was really hoping an app would launch in time for my 30th birthday so I could enjoy my new Playbar with it. Alas no. Now I am hoping they have targeted Q1 for release, that seems unlikely as there is less than a week left of Q1. The whole thing seems to me a masterclass in deception to keep us just hopeful enough that we stick with it. After 2+ years it is wearing very thin!

Seriously regretting the Playbar now, knew I should not have done it. Considering returning and buying the Arcam Solo Bar, £200 more, no WP app but a lot more capable, with HDMI, Optical & DTS with Bluetooth to boot.

If Sonos are serious about this app and wish to stop alienating users than the solution is incredibly simple. Make the app a public beta, you have a large pool of passionate people waiting for this who you could put to good use ironing out any remaining bugs. Judging by the reviews of the Alpha the app is pretty stable and has been garnering good reviews so it's not as if you'd be releasing a mess that would hurt your reputation. Indeed it might go some way towards enhancing/repairing perceptions that, speaking for myself only, have been seriously damaged by the constant procrastinating.

This is your most popular idea at nearly 2000 Me-Toos. All other ideas that have achieved 1000+ Me-Toos have received a definitive answer one way or the other. I think the people following this thread deserve nothing less. Yes or no?
I really think that some information is owed at this point. The alpha app has not been updated in over a month, not a good sign, and this thread despite having been the most popular for as long as anyone can remember is seemingly wilfully neglected by Sonos employees. They only now emerge to shoot down expectations...

I was really hoping an app would launch in time for my 30th birthday so I could enjoy my new Playbar with it. Alas no. Now I am hoping they have targeted Q1 for release, that seems unlikely as there is less than a week left of Q1. The whole thing seems to me a masterclass in deception to keep us just hopeful enough that we stick with it. After 2+ years it is wearing very thin!

Seriously regretting the Playbar now, knew I should not have done it. Considering returning and buying the Arcam Solo Bar, £200 more, no WP app but a lot more capable, with HDMI, Optical & DTS with Bluetooth to boot.

If Sonos are serious about this app and wish to stop alienating users than the solution is incredibly simple. Make the app a public beta, you have a large pool of passionate people waiting for this who you could put to good use ironing out any remaining bugs. Judging by the reviews of the Alpha the app is pretty stable and has been garnering good reviews so it's not as if you'd be releasing a mess that would hurt your reputation. Indeed it might go some way towards enhancing/repairing perceptions that, speaking for myself only, have been seriously damaged by the constant procrastinating.

This is your most popular idea at nearly 2000 Me-Toos. All other ideas that have achieved 1000+ Me-Toos have received a definitive answer one way or the other. I think the people following this thread deserve nothing less. Yes or no?

^^^Agreed!
Userlevel 3
Badge

Glad you agree. Just as an aside the comment ticker appears to be stuck at 596. Not going to count all the comments but seems you get roughly 30 per page and 24 pages would make over 700 comments. Will see if this makes 597 but if not perhaps a mod could take a look. I'm interested in exactly how many comments there have been.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Definitely stuck on 596.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sorry, don't want to sound like a vigilante but just watched tb UK leaders debate on my lovely soundbar. Amazing how selling snake oil crosses borders, UK politicians seem to have taken lessons from Sonos execs "Say nothing, do less". Says something that I now hold Sonos in higher contempt than the UK political establishment! Sonos have now spent plenty of engineering resources on music services they know 99.9% of their customers will not be able to distinguish on their hardware (Deezer Elite & Tidal). Yet won't commit a fraction of that to this request. Think they may actually believe their own BS.

For a sonos connect at 350 euro and 2 play 1's at each 199 euro, I expect a decent Windows Phone app from Sonos, it seems that they don't care about their "Windows Phone" users. Sad, but with the benefits of the real expensive hardware, I think it must be possible to hire a good developer and release an app  within at least 2 months, I see that the demand for an app already lasts for about 2 years now, isn't that a shame SONOS?