New Sonos v80 app is so annoying

Userlevel 1

I just downloaded the new v80 Sonos S2 app and first impression is not too good. Hope they change this soon. This is what is found

1. The app gives an error when trying to play a radiostation on MyTuner Radio service in the Recently played section. 
  2. Some contact card are so big that when you want to swipe down to close it, I open the Homescreen/Lockscreen of my iPhone.
  3. When I want to play a radio station from the Favorites section an additional unnecessary card is opened with only a Play button. Why not start playing without opening this screen?
  4. The favorites are now mixed. So Spotify and RadioStation favorites are in one list. That is annoying. 
  5. The list of favorites is not sorted in any way neither can they be ordered according to my favorites. 
  6. The room for the name of the system on top of the Home Screen is very limited and so, it is always abbreviated with dots.  

What is your annoyance?

20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No queue control…  cannot add tracks to the queue or manage the queue.  No local library search.  Harder to access dialog and night mode settings.  No more lossless and hires tags or codec info on inputs (TV sources).  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Also can’t remove Sonos Radio…  Don’t use it, don’t want it…  wish I could remove it from my list of services.

Also don’t appreciate the link to the Sonos store in system settings.  I thought I opted out of the popups.  This is permanently there.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can’t add services and the search function still gives me a message about something wrong is happened. And it’s even not possible to add a alarm.

I use a local library, with bonob or SMB access with a NAS, and well this has disappeared with the new version.
How can a new version be so regressive?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Yes, the shortcomings of this new version are quite jarring… unless I’m mistaken:

• No practical queue control.
  • No library search.
  • Missing such a simple feature as playing all the songs from the library shuffled.

I’m not for gratuitous negativity, but how could they release a version which is such a step back in features ? It actually does not support most of my regular use cases. And unfortunately, you cannot easily roll back to previous app versions on iOS…

And you can’t change the line-out setting on the Port any more or see what format is playing  (eg Dolby 5.1) on the TV device 

This is a fail.  Not only is it not an improvement but features that used to work no longer work.  On whole its a downgrade.

Key issue for me is the home screen where all content is mixed together in one section under Favorites.  All podcasts, Pandora, tunein stations and playlists are listed in one block.  Maybe this is a bug but the fact that there is no way to sort/arrange the content is silly.  Also can’t find a way to get to my music library. 

In comparing the web app to iOS app it’s clear the iOS app has major bugs. I have a guess at what happened. Someone’s bonus was tied to rolling out the software on a target date. That guy just walked into his boss’ ofc and said Mission Accomplished.
All the programmers will be working double shifts to clean up this steaming pile. 
anyway the web app has more functionality but it too is a buggy web page with slow responses. I have a 1 gig connection and it’s plenty laggy with a basic task like volume. 
I was worried about going to s2 from s1. That was smooth. This is the one I should have waited on but I hit Update All without scanning the list. 

Userlevel 3

Definitely a regression this new app. Like others I have never seen such loss of functionalities

• cannot add a new library
  • cannot ask for update of library
  • cannot add a complete folder to the player
  • queue is desperately empty
  • Title is empty when playing from a folder
  • pinning a folder to home screen does not work
  • etc etc

No, i had known all of this, i wouldn’t have done the Update. Why this has been released with so many mandatory functions not implemented or buggy….

I pray they withdraw the upgrade & start from scratch

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I would say that I like the overall organisation of the new app, but with so many functions missing, it is obvious that Sonos made a mistake when they replaced the old app right off. They should have released it as a preview version, so that people could get feedback, while still using the old app as a fallback. (Well, the Windows app remains unchanged...)

Some of you have reported the music library as missing. I ran into to this on my Android phone. But I had already played with the new app on my Android tablet, so I knew it was there. I clicked on the Account icon, and found the app reset button. When I restarted the app, I found “My sources” on the home screen and I can access the music library.

Userlevel 2

So the following note has been added to the SONOS support topic Use a NAS drive with Sonos

Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

They are forcing the update, and there's no Music Library option in the system menu anymore. 

This is very frustrating. Very sloppy software development. Is complaining to support my only option to get this enabled again? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I notice many entries in Favorites and Recently Played and from search results do not work at all and give a "Something went wrong" notification.

Most easily reproduced with MyTuner Radio... I can only play anything if I browse to it from the Your Services entry page.

But I feel there's too many things not functioning properly too even start listing them...

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So the following note has been added to the SONOS support topic Use a NAS drive with Sonos

Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

They are forcing the update, and there's no Music Library option in the system menu anymore. 

This is very frustrating. Very sloppy software development. Is complaining to support my only option to get this enabled again? 

Funny. I have the Music Library in my app. And it is on a NAS. I had to reset the app on my phone to get it, though.

Badge

The ability to control the volume of individual speakers in a group seems to have disappeared. Usually when you touch the volume slider, you get a pop-up that gives individual sliders for each speaker. This is no longer the case.

I’ve just downloaded the 16.1 APK and reinstalled that. Auto Updates will remain off until Sonos sort out this mess!

How about: "Wouldn't it be a dream come true if they hit the reset button on that upgrade and gave it a fresh start? What's your take on it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to agree that this is unbearable, I simply can't play any MyTuner stations… Especially replacing a fully working app with a work-in-progress is unacceptable to me.

Download this Sonos 16.1 APK, uninstall the 'early alpha' version that Sonos released, and then install the APK.

Userlevel 1

My grievances are all the above. Worse update ever. As with other corporations, someone probably got a promotion at SONOS for this heinous debacle of an upgrade. 

I cannot connect to my music on my NAS anymore. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

What kind of Clown gave birth to that idea?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I cannot connect to my music on my NAS anymore. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

What kind of Clown gave birth to that idea?

That said, Davide. However, this may be fixable. I am at least able to access my NAS, and so are many others.

What protocols do have enabled? As I understand it, SMB1 support has been dropped, so make sure that you have SMB2 and SMB3 enabled. Also, I’ve seen remarks that if the NAS is connected to your router over USB that may also cause problems.