Skip to main content

iOS Hardware Volume Control

Feature request:

Bring back ability to control volume with iOS (iPhone, iPad) physical volume buttons.

The removal of it is exceedingly aggravating.  The work around sucks.

I will own 11 Sonos devices.  But I will buy no more as long as it works this way.  This situation is so poorly communicated and badly implemented that I am gone as a customer until you resolve this.

The volume buttons haven’t worked for a long time, and it wasn’t Sonos who removed that function.  Apple doesn’t allow control of 3rd party hardware from their hard buttons or the lock screen.  Sonos had been using a hack to fool iOS into thinking the Sonos app was actually playing media through the phone by playing a silent audio file in the background.  Apple demanded they cease using the hack and comply with the rules or risk getting taken down from the App Store.

So until Apple changes it’s policy, there’s nothing Sonos can do. 

I see. Feature gone. No outlook for improvement  

I see. Feature gone. No outlook for improvement  

That’s up to Apple.  They hold all the cards, and they can decide what features an app can and cannot have.  Sonos has to follow their rules or get kicked off their platform.  Have you tried playing via Airplay?  Apple does allow Airplay to use the buttons (of course). 

Physical buttons also do not work via airplay. Have talked to Sonos tech support; have posted threads here. 

Would love a way to do it if someone can explain how.

Does not work via airplay

Many people are using the volume buttons via Airplay.  Not sure what you are seeing, but they do work via Airplay. 

Sonos tech support couldn’t show me how to make that work, even with screen sharing. 

if you can share the details, would love the help. 

Problem statement:  Play Spotify on Sonos speakers. Control volume with iPhone physical volume buttons. 

Solution?

Sonos tech support couldn’t show me how to make that work, even with screen sharing. 

if you can share the details, would love the help. 

Problem statement:  Play Spotify on Sonos speakers. Control volume with iPhone physical volume buttons. 

Solution?

Airplay - requires Airplay capable speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/stream-airplay-audio-to-sonos

Or use the Spotify app and connect to Sonos from there.  

Thank you for your time and effort on this, @jgatie.  I really do appreciate any thoughts you have.

This (your scenario above) is the exact one which neither I nor Sonos could get working any more with the physical volume buttons on the iPad or iPhone.  

I’ve been a Sonos user for at least a decade if not much, much more.  So I’m familiar with how it works.  But can no longer make this scenario work and neither could Sonos. 

If you have a way to do so, much appreciated.

I reached out to Sonos again, and once again they confirm this feature is gone.  What’s weird is it has been working for me until about a week ago, though they say it has been gone for a year.

If anyone knows any method to control Sonos speaker volume using the iPhone physical volume controls, I would appreciate it.

I don’t mind using AirPlay, using the Spotify app directly, etc … I just want easy volume control back!

Per Sonos:

Juan G (5/28/2024, 4:36:55 PM):
The function to use the physical buttons from an iPhone to control the volume of Sonos speakers was removed almost a year ago, are you sure were using the physical buttons from an iPhone to control the volume of the speakers while using Airplay? 

Me (5/28/2024, 4:37:54 PM):
I was.  But just to confirm - you are saying there are no circumstances under which the physical volume buttons on an iPhone can control Sonos speaker volumes, correct? 

Me (5/28/2024, 4:40:15 PM): I'm happy to use AirPlay or any other way ... I just want to control the volume with the physical buttons. 

Juan G (5/28/2024, 4:42:30 PM): Correct, this feature was removed from Sonos like almost a year ago, so you should not be able to use the physical button of any iOS devices to control the volume of Sonos speakers in any circumstances, currently the only two options to increase the volume of a Sonos system is through the Sonos app or pushing the volume buttons on the speakers. 

Both the video above and Sonos’ tech support answer above are incorrect.

Solution:  How to Control Sonos Volume using Physical Apple iPhone or iPad Volume Buttons

To control Sonos speaker volume for Spotify using physical apple iPhone or iPad buttons you just have to make sure you do NOT select the name of the Sonos speaker.  If you do this, you will not be able to control the speaker volume with the physical iPhone volume buttons.  Instead select Airplay:

Then select the desired speaker (“Office” in this case) from the AirPlay list, not the Spotify list.  Like this:

It will then be controllable correctly using physical buttons on the iPhone or iPad.  You won’t see the name of the speaker, you’ll see “AirPlay” instead.  Like this:

Last two days, my physical volume controls on my iPad are WORKING for Spotify/Sonos again??  It’s back to the way it was, a.k.a. - working, yet one ‘click’ is way too much volume, it’s not granular enough - but it is better than nothing.  Anyone else notice this feature is back?  Is this a hiccup, am I just dumb-luck, or wtf is going on at Sonos or Apple?

Why hasn’t some big group of tech companies sued Apple to remove the restriction? 

Why hasn’t some big group of tech companies sued Apple to remove the restriction? 

Because they'd  lose, if they could even get a lawyer would take the case, which is highly doubtful.

I’ve noticed that I can control my Sonos volume using two the volume buttons on the side of my iPhone, particularly when I’m listening to my Sonos through the Audible and Spotify apps. So are the iPhone volume buttons only inoperable  inside the Sonos app itself?

Because they'd  lose, if they could even get a lawyer would take the case, which is highly doubtful.

You’re no help! 

It’s interesting… the main reason quoted for not being able to use Lock Screen controls is that unless you are playing something on the phone itself, which Sonos does not, then you aren’t supposed to use Lock Screen controls. This is why Sonos for a while had the idea of playing no sound on the phone… (ok it messed with hearing aids, so for that reason alone it wasn’t the best idea...)

Yet… 

If I use my iPhone as a remote control for my Apple TV, what appears on the Lock Screen? Apple TV controls… But I’m not playing anything from my iPhone…

So what exactly are the rules/restrictions then? 

Great if was an option disabled by default.  Don’t want the wacky volume issues like AirPlay, Spotify Connect etc.  Sliders fo me work just fine.  Would be nice though to have + / - volume control as an option to replace sliders.

I’ve noticed that I can control my Sonos volume using two the volume buttons on the side of my iPhone, particularly when I’m listening to my Sonos through the Audible and Spotify apps. So are the iPhone volume buttons only inoperable  inside the Sonos app itself?

Yes, and also for any other app that isn’t able to output audio on the phone itself. Just controlling another Apple device that way seems to be allowed as that’s an Apple device internal solution.

@Ian_S 

And exactly because of that imo the Apple to Apple exception works. Apples os is their own playground. And there they are the boss and make the rules. 

@Ian_S

And exactly because of that imo the Apple to Apple exception works. Apples os is their own playground. And there they are the boss and make the rules. 

Which is exactly the sort of abuse of position that the EU are happy to get worked up over… 😉

@Ian_S 

Thats life and business… but both changes constantly. 😎 So let’s cross our fingers things will get more user friendly in future.