Answered

How do I sort Pandora alphabetically?

• 14 November 2017
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

I too would really like to be able to view my Pandora stations (ALPHABETICALLY), directly within the Sonos controller app.
Badge +3
[quote=rld53]
Message from Sonos technical support:

I understand that you are having some issues with finding your music in Pandora. So Pandora recently updated what they give us to include in the app and unfortunately that includes the inability to organize the station alphabetically. This is something that is out of our control and something that Pandora decides and controls. With this change though they have allowed Pandora listeners to control Sonos directly from their app which does allow you to organize them alphabetically. Simply download the latest version of the Pandora app, start a station and hit the "cast" button to play to your Sonos speakers. Here is a guide about this new feature. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64/kw/pandora

This statement "With this change though they have allowed Pandora listeners to control Sonos directly from their app which does allow you to organize them alphabetically." is not true. I have the latest Pandora app and you can not alpha your stations. I wish both platforms bring back alpha ASAP. I have over 50 Pandora stations and it's very difficult to find the one I want.

Also, in the Sonos desktop version, when playing Pandora, you use to be able to give the thumbs up and down on a song but it looks like that has disappeared as well. Am I crazy thinking that was there before?
I'm am unhappy. What were the thoughts behind this decision? I use all 100 stations allowed. Major pain in my ass. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" . Let me a have my a-z back. Please,
AGREED!!! please put the option back to alphabetize Pandora stations. Sorting by recently played makes no sense when you have a lot of stations!!!
@Sonos - it would be appropriate for you to relay this feedback from your customer community to Pandora on our behalf and then come back to the community to let us know that you've done so. Take care of your people.
I see the suggestion from sonos to use the Pandora app. I don't like it... but if it works that helps... but IT DOESN"T.

Unfortunately, the playing now window in the Pandora app on my iPad does not show a CAST ICON... anywhere.

So even the "workaround" is not a workaround.
One additional note. I used to tell my friends how Sonos was so intuitive and easy to use. Not now. After version 8, I can no longer recommend it. Note: I have been doing computer support for 25+ years... and if I can't figure it out....?
Hi everyone, I submitted a ticket with Sonos technical support and received the reply below. Hope you find it helpful. - Andy
==
Message from Sonos technical support:

I understand that you are having some issues with finding your music in Pandora. So Pandora recently updated what they give us to include in the app and unfortunately that includes the inability to organize the station alphabetically. This is something that is out of our control and something that Pandora decides and controls. With this change though they have allowed Pandora listeners to control Sonos directly from their app which does allow you to organize them alphabetically. Simply download the latest version of the Pandora app, start a station and hit the "cast" button to play to your Sonos speakers. Here is a guide about this new feature. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64/kw/pandora
Seriously? Steering loyal Sonos users away from Sonos and having to open separate app(s) to listen to Sonos?! Not only can you not sort your stations alphabetically, but you can no longer edit or add stations from the Sonos app! Ridiculous!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Yes it is. I've let Pandora know either its fixed by my next subscription renewal, I wont be renewing! Goodbye Pandora. Early Feb for me. Id suggest any of the other services I use not to come up with the same crap. Don't have any desire to use each services apps. That's what I love about Sonos having all my services together.
[quote=plhoward][quote=rld53]
This statement "With this change though they have allowed Pandora listeners to control Sonos directly from their app which does allow you to organize them alphabetically." is not true. I have the latest Pandora app and you can not alpha your stations. I wish both platforms bring back alpha ASAP. I have over 50 Pandora stations and it's very difficult to find the one I want.

Also, in the Sonos desktop version, when playing Pandora, you use to be able to give the thumbs up and down on a song but it looks like that has disappeared as well. Am I crazy thinking that was there before?

You don't mention whether you are using iOS or Android, but in my Android app I can sort either via "Recent" or "A-Z". It should be the second row down from the top of the screen when you are viewing your stations.

And, I'm playing a Pandora station right now, and in the desktop version I have up/down thumbs.
Badge +3
[quote=ChristianL][quote=plhoward]

You don't mention whether you are using iOS or Android, but in my Android app I can sort either via "Recent" or "A-Z". It should be the second row down from the top of the screen when you are viewing your stations.

And, I'm playing a Pandora station right now, and in the desktop version I have up/down thumbs.

Hey there, using iOS and iPhone X and all latest apps. Still no alpha showing. Use to be there before the updates.
Sonos!

Get it together.

This is pretty basic functionality. You know, the kind of functionality that normal humans that have expected of Pandora since it was a glimmer in the eye of the Music Genome Project. An alphabetical list of stations... Seriously?
Badge
Please sonos, be reasonable and sort the list. The new behavior in the updated sonos app is a regression from previous functionality. A functional regression is a bug. It is your responsibility to fix this bug.
Why does Sonos continue to make their UI devolve? It went from working well and quite intuitive to hogwash. Bring back alphabetization with Pandora. Figure it out and make it work. It worked before!
If we (multiple users) access Pandora through the Sonos system it is seen as one device. No problem. If we each run the Pandora app on our pocket computers, Pandora sees that as multiple devices. A no-no on the paid subscription. Looks like the free version might be better. Am I missing something?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I received a similar reply as someone else related to the sorting issue. This was not caused by Sonos, but instead by Pandora. They only indicated they would consider the feedback. They acknowledge this was caused by them.

My other opinion, about what is seemingly a useless grouping ('My Stations'), has changed slightly. I did not realize that Pandora now offers a third tier of service - Premium. With this third tier active, there are additional features which appear with the 'My Stations' grouping. This gives you the ability to search by artist, album, etc. Without the premium service, however, you only see the 'My Stations' and it seems pointless.
I am one of Sono's biggest promoters and have been for years. It's a one of if not my favorite purchase ever.

However, sloppy half baked updates fixing things that weren't broken are highly annoying. Please restore the alphabetical sort function for Pandora. In the future, please ask us as users what changes we would like and beta test these with a broader audience BEFORE rolling out updates and causing discomfort to our entire user community. We have confidence you can fix this and restore SONOS back to the product with which we all fell in love. Thanks for caring.
Pandora is in charge of the user experience on the Sonos app, via their implementation of the Music Partners API. If you read the Pandora threads, it has been confirmed by at least one poster that Pandora admitted the change was done by them. It would be a good idea to lobby Pandora as well as Sonos to get it changed back.
Yes need alpha sort back, please. In Windows app and in iOS app (the two I use). Also, I have NO NEED for the useless extra click where I have to select "My Stations" or "Thumbprint". Liked it better when Thumbprint was just listed in my list of stations.
Yes! I just joined Sonos community for this reason and this reason only. I love everything Sonos and I still use pandora and I NEED pandora stations to sort alphabetically!!!
Badge
I e-mailed Sonos about this a couple months and still haven’t heard anything don’t know what their problem is
Userlevel 2
Adding another reply here to make it clear this functionality should be fixed. A user wants to be able to look up the station they want to play, not based on most recently played. Please fix, thanks.
Although more money, guess I'm gonna have to step on over to Spotify or Apple Music
Dear Sonos, advising your customers to call someone else when the problem they are having is exhibited through your software might not be the best play here. It's your GUI we're using, not Pandora. (Or at least it appears to be, it's got your name on it.) You really ought to own this. It could be an opportunity for you. A lot of people could be very happy. Just let your software guys do what they love to do...show the other guy whose really in charge.