Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

kind of spooky...

157 replies

Hah! After a dozen or so random music starts in the past year I decide to google whats up. Had two tonight. Wondering if one of my friends that has been on my wifi controlling spotify was trolling me.

It is definitely CatMode(tm). He was licking the top of my Sonos One rears. Great thread thanks all!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A small charge of C4 and a sensitive trigger should break the cat of that bad habit at the cost of only a few speakers.

Or... Wipe the Cheetos off your fingers before adjusting the Sonos! 🙂
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks

Has an outside person used their Spotify app to play to your system recently? If so, they are still connected and can be triggering the mystery track. To disconnect them, clear the playlist from the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@laurileincecini the most recent command on that diagnostic to play music came in around 13:46 UTC on the 7th. And that command came from your Android phone. Other than that, I don't see any other play commands in the log for the last day or so. If you can get a diagnostic right after it starts playing, that's best.

If you have something else in your Queue, does it still load and play that same Spotify playlist? If so, I wonder if this could be some smart home integration acting up. Do you happen to have IFTTT or something along that front connected with your system?

Also, as jgatie said, this could be Spotify direct control acting up, so I'd recommend playing a radio station and then stopping it before you wander off. That'll disconnect any Spotify direct control sessions.
HI, we have the same issue with our system. Seems to be routinely starting at same time most days 8:23 am.
2-3 users with Spotify linked accounts. No alarms are activated although ee have used them in the past.
Is it a Spotify alarm setting?
Aalthough when it is playing it shows Deezer logo above the track name. (We sometimes use Deezer within the Sonos app). Diagnostic 2111556366
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The only playback command I see came around that time came from a Samsung S10 phone. Does that timeframe link with anyone leaving the house to go to work or school at that time? I've seen mobile devices that connect to Bluetooth in a car and immediately send a play command, which could trigger the Sonos app to tell the players to play, if it's still on WiFi.
Ryan, Thanks for the awesomely fast feedback. That sounds like it could be a cause. But the Samsung S10 is my phone and I was not leaving the property in any of those occasions - I do have a car that auto starts playback (on Deezer) as it is turned on and there is (spotty) wi-fi coverage where the car is parked. But again on the 3 occasions I have witnessed the issue that car has not been started/on at that time.

But its a good lead. I'll keep an eye on the different issues and see if I can find the root cause. Presumably the Sonos app needs to be running for this to occur - (the Deezer app has no ability to cast to Sonos - right?)
Cheers Stuart
But its a good lead. I'll keep an eye on the different issues and see if I can find the root cause. Presumably the Sonos app needs to be running for this to occur - (the Deezer app has no ability to cast to Sonos - right?)
Cheers Stuart

Okay so, this morning Sonos was not "running" on my S10. At 8:23am, again the Sonos turned on. 555753932.
Interestingly, although I didn't have the app open, the "always on" screen on the S10 did show track information on what was playing on the Sonos - maybe that has something to do with it?.

Aha. I just found it! I have a bixby routine that runs from 4:50am to 8:22am each morning (doing various things including playing music via headphones on deezer). Looks like the turning "off" of that may trigger sonos - somehow. But the timing 8:22 to 8:23 seems too precise.

Any hints on how to de-trigger the sonos auto-start? As a start I have tried turning off the deezer music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's interesting. I haven't heard of that one before. There isn't a Bixby and Sonos integration, so it must be something with the phone hitting "Play" on Sonos when the routine ends. There isn't a direct playback from Deezer to Sonos using their app.
My Sonos starts playing spontaneously when my phone (Galaxy S10) connects to my wifi as I drive into the garage while Google Play music is connected to Bluetooth in my car. This happens even when Sonos app is closed.
I've played with the settings but can't get this figured out. I think I'll have to uninstall Sonos from my phone and use another device to control Sonos.
Highly annoying!
Hey Rudy_1

The feature that is affecting you is the auto-transfer of a music stream. Same thing will happen in reverse if you are listening to a podcast on bluetooth when you get into the car. The phone seeks 'available audio services' to try and continue your audio experience.

I don't know if it can be turned off. But a quick fix may be to turn off the entertainment system in your car before you turn the engine off. That should stop the audio-stream and thus the transfer to the Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Rudy_1 Check if the settings here will work, it's a little old, but may do the trick.
Same thing has happened to me twice today. No one else in my house. No one else who has ever used my Sonos network is playing anything. No alarms. Phone locked and not in my hands when it started. No cats or any other animal near any of my pieces. In my case, it’s Amazon. Didn’t think to look the issue up until quite awhile into the second play. Spooky.
The next time it happens,submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing it, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. They'll be able to tell you what started the music, whether it was an alarm, a button press, a controller, or a Spotify person who has had access to your system in the past.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
I've uninstalled Sonos app. The only fix that works for this problem.
That's a pretty good indicator that the buttons on the device you were running the Sonos App on are being pushed in some way. Either they're sticky, or hitting against something in your pocket, etc.

This just happened to me in the he middle of the night. No cats or dogs here, so maybe ghost? I’m the only one with Sonos app in the house, and it was not uploaded and not updated on my phone when this happened. Curious to see this is happening quite a lot to people. 

Did Sonos ever fix the problem? 

Diagnostic was send, confirmation number: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No problem with Sonos has ever been identified for this symptom, they have all been external factors, both hardware (cats, CR200s) and software (Spotify app, automation code).

Same here using Tunin on Sonos. Spontaneous random starts.. Very annoying

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

No problem with Sonos has ever been identified for this symptom, they have all been external factors, both hardware (cats, CR200s) and software (Spotify app, automation code).

As controlav says, there are a lot of different ways to have music start playing, and so far there hasn’t been any such “problem” it’s always something causing it to start playing.

@karinab, that diagnostic was taking just after the device was rebooted, so there’s no useful information in there on what might have caused it to start playing. I do see that you have Spotify added, but I can’t say if Spotify was used to start playing music on there at all recently. Try getting a diagnostic within a few minutes of it being turned on. And note what was playing.

Same here using Tunin on Sonos. Spontaneous random starts.. Very annoying

If TuneIn was the last thing played in that room, most likely it’s the button being pressed or a mobile device connected sending an errant play command. If you can post a diagnostic within a few minutes of it turning on, we can check it out.

Caught it doing in the act out of nowhere again.. diagnostics within a minute send with #193711961

Please identify the cause its driving me nuts and going on for a few weeks now

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Looks like the latest play command came in from a Logitech device, or a device with a Logitech wireless MAC address. I hope that helps! The IP address at the time was 192.168.1.134.

I had the same issue occur yesterday morning.  NO alarms set, I was in the shower when it occurred, no one else in the house.  Phone was upside down on my dresser (how I charge it during the night).  It played the next song in my queue (i.e. like it just un-paused the music). 

I told my wife and she stated that on a few occasions she has had to get up in the middle of the night to turn off the music using touch controls.

There is something going on, that needs to be addressed by Sonos.  I suspect it is something to do with Wifi dropping and reconnecting (short drop) and for whatever reason it unpauses music, etc…  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is something going on, that needs to be addressed by Sonos.  I suspect it is something to do with Wifi dropping and reconnecting (short drop) and for whatever reason it unpauses music, etc…  

None of these reports have ever been diagnosed as being a Sonos issue (and certainly not going to be related to connectivity), it is always some kind of external cause (Spotify app, CR200, cats, children, Harmony remote). If you provide a diagnostic ID right after it happens next time, the Sonos techs here can give you a pointer as to the culprit.